Author Topic: French ancestor, born c1720  (Read 1319 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: French ancestor, born c1720
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 September 23 14:39 BST (UK) »
 Hi, Lisa!
 Date a few years off for a Guillaume Veude
 https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:6FQS-7SW8

Although a super longshot, as the records say fille not fils...but we have seen gender errors before. Hard to prove unless further family info is available, though. Mother's name might start with a C rather than P but it seems a horrid caps flourish was more important than the actual name.
 Guillaume Veaux
 https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:737W-J43Z
  *Modified to add:  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01som/
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 September 23 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi, J.J.  Wow!  Thank you for finding my post and for sharing the links.

At this time, I don’t see a connection, but it is possible that the records could be for my William’s family members (uncles, etc.).  I’ve never found French records for this branch (actually for any branch) so I am thrilled to see them.  Once I’ve had a cup of tea and started my day, I will add the details to my Vaus binder.

Since posting the topic, we’ve actually possibly found William’s birth.  It’s been awhile since I’ve researched my Vaus ancestors so at the moment I don’t recollect why I feel strongly about this, but looking at my tree, possibly William was born in Nuthurst, Sussex, England.

Marriage for John Vause and Elizabeth Sheffield 7 Jan 1710, Slaugham, Sussex, England. John and Elizabeth were of Nuthurst, Sussex at the time of their marriage; marriage by license.

They had several children, one was baptized
  William Naice or Vais, 1718, Nuthurst

I believe the above information is in a later posting about my Vaus’.  I will look for the topic and will link the two topics to avoid duplication.

Thank you very much for finding the details. It is definitely worthwhile to see if either family ended up in England and I will be sure to save the above details.  Thank you, Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 September 23 15:50 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the delay in posting the above reply; I hit the wrong button and deleted all that I had typed and had to start over.

Thank you for the additional link.  I don’t think that I’ve ever tried FamilySearch for French Vaus records. As they (used to) say “duh”.   ;)   I’ll try that for other surnames as well.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)