Author Topic: Elizabeth White / Great Britain Hotel, Melbourne  (Read 6361 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth White / Great Britain Hotel, Melbourne
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 14:06 BST (UK) »
Was Elizabeth 21 when she married, if not who gave consent?

What was her usual address...and occupation?

Where was she married?  Perhaps the parish record of the marriage may be more legible.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jessies Mum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 22:10 BST (UK) »
Will try and scan certificate today to add snippets on here.  White was Elizabeth's maiden name, she married and became Williams.  On the marriage certificate it states she was 20 years of age and a servant, but on her death certificate it states she was married at age 18.  Both certificates state she was born in County Clare, Ireland - it is the obituary that gives the Scarriff (only found that on line yesterday).  On the marriage certificate it states her present and usual residence were both Melbourne.  Her father Francis White, on her marriage certificate, has an occupation of Shoemaker.  Nothing about parents on the death certificate.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 03:40 BST (UK) »
Thought some of this may be useful if you think Elizabeth WHITE has a connection with the TOOHEY family.

A births registered to Matthew and Honora in Vic have the surname TUOHY.  The transcriptions of the baptisms also TUOHY.

Electoral Roll 1856 Victoria
TOOHEY Matthew  Clarendon Street, licensed victualler  Qualification-householder [note: not leaseholder or freehold]

Sands & Kenny Directory
1857, 1858, 1859, 1860
Great Britain Hotel, Hill, Richard Evans  109 Flinders Street west.
1861, 1865
Great Britain Hotel, McGowan, James 109 Flinders Street west. [News item 5 Sep 1860 of licence transfer spells name McGARRAN]

1858, 1860, 1861
TOOHEY Matthew  Limerick Arms Hotel, Clarendon & Park Streets, Emerald Hill  [Hotel of the same name still at this address today however earlier photos which appear to taken either late 19thC or early 20thC, show it to be two stories, today it is today three]

Great Britain Hotel, M Toohey, Clarendon & Napier Street, Emerald Hill.
 [This hotel was mentioned in 1862 in a news item with landlord William John COXON - not everyone paid to have entries in the directories]

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/toohey-james-matthew-4943
John Thomas Toohey (1839-1903) and James Matthew Toohey (1850-1895), brewers, were the sons of Matthew Toohey (d.1892), businessman, and his wife Honora (d.1878), née Hall. John Thomas was born on 26 April 1839 at Limerick, Ireland, and was taken to Melbourne by his parents in 1841. His father bought town lots and settled many Irish families in Victoria. One of the founders of the St Patrick's Society in Melbourne, he was a political ally of (Sir) John O'Shanassy and (Sir) Charles Gavan Duffy. In the 1860s he was forced to sell at a loss; in 1866 he went to New South Wales and lived in virtual retirement.

Slightly different to the info about Matthew, posted by Neil....so Matthew TOOHEY didn't establish the Limerick Arms Hotel he leased it.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0qbc/

Argus 8 Apr 1861
LAW REPORT - SUPREME COURT
Mr. Fellows, on behalf of James O'Brien, owner of the Limerick Arms, moved for the writ of certiorari. Mr. Higinbotham, on behalf of the magistrates above-mentioned, appeared to oppose the issue of the writ.......

The facts appeared to bo these:-Jame O'Brien, the owner of the Limerick Arms Hotel, Emerald Hill, on the 25th March, 1858, granted a lease of the premises to Matthew Toohey, of Emerald Hill, licensed victualler, for three years, from the 4th of March, 1858; under covenants, among other things, to uphold the licence, and also not transfer it to any other person without the lessor's consent in writing. On the 5th of March, 1861, O'Brien applied to the benoh of magistrates at a special quarterly licensing meeting for a publican's goneral licence to himself for the Limerick Arms Hotel. His application was postponed for a month, for him to put the premises in proper repair. They had fallen out of repair during Toohey's term. On the same 5th of March Matthew Toohey applied to the same bench of magistrates for a publican's generaI licence for a new house, in Clarendon-street, not before licensed, which he proposed to open himself, and keep as an hotel, under the name of the Limerick Castle. Tho application was opposed by O'Brien, and was refused.

Argus 23 Jul 1866
POLICE COURT
SANDRIDGE
The licence of the Great Britain Hotel was transferred from Mr, Matthew Toohey to Mr. Edward Wootton ;

Arrrggghhhhh.....after all that research just found this AND to throw a big spanner in the works - Great Britain Hotel at Williamstown not 'Melbourne'  ::)  Need a smiley for 'frustration'

Argus 4 Jul 1866
WILLIAMSTOWN
The application for a transfer of the Great Britain Hotel from Henry Mackinnon to Norah Morley was postponed for fourteen days.

Argus Thursday 21 Feb 1867
WILLIAMSTOWN
Joseph Cruikshahk Was charged with stealing two bottles of gin and a bottle of porter from the Great Britain Hotel on Sunday forenoon. The larceny wvas proved by the landlady of the house, who saw the prisoner go into the pantry and carry the bottles away. Ile yvas ordered to be locked up for forty I eight hours.-

Could this be the aunt who owned the Great Britain Hotel in "Melbourne"?

Cheers
Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 03:41 BST (UK) »
Looking at the 1901 Irish Census in Scariff, Co Clare for possible WHITE siblings.  I noticed that every inhabitant of Scariff [not Scarriff]  lives on Scariff Street!

Living at 72 Scariff Street
WHITE John Head  Roman Catholic  Cannot R&W  62  Shoemaker  Married Born Co Clare
WHITE Mary  Wife  Roman Catholic  Cannot R&W  60  Shoemaker  Married  Born Co Clare
WHITE Katie  Dau  Roman Catholic  R&W 24  General Servant  Not married  Born Co Clare
WHITE Thoms Son Roman Catholic  R&W  18                        Not married  Born Co Clare
WHITE Denis  Son  Roman Catholic  R&W  16                        Not married  Born Co Clare
WHITE Maggie Dau Roman Catholic  R&W  14  Nurse   Not Married  Born Co Clare

Living at 48.1 Scariff Street
WHITE James  Head  Roman Catholic R&W  55  Shoemaker  Not married  Born Co Clare
WHITE Patrick  Brother  Roman Catholic  R&W  Shoemaker  Not married  Born Co Clare

Cheers
Cando

Offline Jessies Mum

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 03 September 12 05:18 BST (UK) »
Totally missed this response - my sincere apologies Cando.  Thank you for the information - makes me wonder if the boys took on the same business as Dad?  Even John's wife Mary was involved in the business - that's a funny coincidence that they all live on the same street name as the town!  I do sincerely thank you for the time and effort you put in to finding this information for me - it is very much appreciated.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 03 September 12 06:00 BST (UK) »
Perhaps using the Show new replies to your posts will help you  ;D

Information about Scariff was given to you on this thread on the Clare board
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,611767.msg4609231.html#msg4609231

Perhaps the Norah MORLEY mentioned may be the aunt...and it is possible she was only the landlady not the proprietor.

Cheers  :)
Cando

Offline Jessies Mum

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 03 September 12 06:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cando, much appreciated  :)

Offline Jessies Mum

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I know all previous messages around this are from some time back, but I have just discovered Eliza's immigration record finally.
She was off to Richmond, Melbourne - exactly where the Great Britain Hotel was (and still is) located.
I feel like I've struck gold!
Just wanted to share this with you all - it certainly looks like Wotton is the name she is employed by!

Offline Jessies Mum

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 19 May 22 08:15 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I have a Passenger List for an Elizabeth White aboard the Lady Jocelyn - I can't add the snip to the message.
Under calling Elizabeth's details state "General Duties", name of Employer is Mrs ***tton (possibly Whitton?) with address of Employer being "Vaucluse, Richmond"
The second Passenger List is for two White girls (one Elizabeth, one Eliza) with the calling "Teacher".
I'm hopeful to break down this brick wall.
Thanks again
JessiesMum