Author Topic: "Papers Past" Updates Part III  (Read 75229 times)

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
Re: "Papers Past" Updates Part III
« Reply #126 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 00:50 BST (UK) »
To echo Janette ......... Woooooooooo Hoooooooooooo.!

Thank you PP.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline helendg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 01:00 BST (UK) »
 :)  Thanks Papers Past - we all appreciate your efforts.  I know I have asked previously, but I get asked a number of times (volunteer at a Central Otago museum) when the Dunstan Times will be on PP?
PAUL - from Scotland to New Zealand

Offline PapersPast

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Thursday 21 May 15 01:17 BST (UK) »
:)  Thanks Papers Past - we all appreciate your efforts.  I know I have asked previously, but I get asked a number of times (volunteer at a Central Otago museum) when the Dunstan Times will be on PP?

We still don't know exactly when (we never really do until it's pretty close) but I know that we have done some work on this recently to get some master microfilm made. This is needed prior to digitisation of content, so to me this suggests that it's somewhere from 8-24 months away. I know that's a wide and vague date-range, but it's the nature of this type of workflow unfortunately.

On another note, we now have that new content I mentioned up and running on the site. The data copy took a bit longer than we anticipated - enjoy!

Offline PapersPast

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 02:37 BST (UK) »
Hi folks!
It's nearly update time again. Early next week we will be bringing the newspaper part of the Niupepa collection into Papers Past, which is a significant collection of Maori language publications - this means that those of us with a bit of Maori ancestry might be able to get a bit more representation in the search results on PP. This content was previously available on the NZDL Niupepa page (http://www.nzdl.org/cgi-bin/library.cgi?a=p&p=about&c=niupepa) created by University of Waikato's Department of Computer Science, to whom we owe some huge thanks - the work they did on this was instrumental in informing the subsequent steps we took in developing Papers Past itself.

Anglo-Maori Warder (1848)
Haeata (1859-1862)
Hiiringa i te Whitu (1896)
Hokioi o Nui-Tireni, e rere atuna (1862-1863)
Huia Tangata Kotahi (1893-1895)
Jubilee : Te Tiupiri (1898-1900)
Kahiti Tuturu mo Aotearoa, me te Waipounamu (1894-1896)
Karere o Poneke (1857-1858)
Korimako (1882-1890)
Matariki (1881)
Maori Messenger : Te Karere Maori (1842-1863)
asian o Matariki (1892-1935) - (Please note that this title is spelled P-A-K-I o Matariki (which translates as Pleiades News), but this forum app erroneously interprets this Maori word as a racist term for a person of Pakistani origin and swaps it for the more generic term "asian", which is why you can see "Asian o Matariki" listed)
Pihoihoi Mokemoke i Runga i te Tuanui (1863)
Puke ki Hikurangi (1897-1913)
Takitimu (1883)
Waka Maori (1863-1884)
Wananga (1874-1878)
Whetu o te Tau (1857-1858)

And then, shortly after that, we'll be putting out another update, containing:

Manawatu Standard (1916-1920)
Manawatu Times (1916-1920)
Manawatu Ensign (1915-1920)
Nelson Evening Mail (1919-1920)
New Zealander (1853-1866)
Patea Mail (1875-1903)
Pukekohe and Waiuku Times (1921-1924)
Southland Times (1906-1920)
Waikato Argus (1896-1914)

Phew...busy times!

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 02:39 BST (UK) »
Oh wow,thanks again PP you rock  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers Janette

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 05:40 BST (UK) »
Super duper, been waiting for the ones I would like to look at. 8)   Many thanks for the hard work you do behind the scenes. :)

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SpudKiwi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Thursday 18 June 15 06:22 BST (UK) »
PapersPast is brilliant. I recently subscribed to the British Newspaper Archive (which costs $20/mth), so hooray that PP is free. The character recognition in BNA is very poor, it fails to find words completely quite often. What I do like though is that the search results screen show a portion of computer generated text so you have a fair idea at whether the result it does find is relevant to you or not. In PP you have to click and read everything which can take a bit of time. I think if PP combine their excellent search engine with BNA's result screen format it would be the best thing since chocolate.

All in all though, a service that finds all results (PP) is far better than one which only finds half (BNA).

Well done PP, excellent work.
BELL - Crumlin / Glenavy / New Zealand
CORMICAN - Crumlin
WHITE - Crumlin
MATHEWS - Comber NI
TOLERTON - New Zealand

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Thursday 18 June 15 08:22 BST (UK) »
Quote from: SpudKiwi
I think if PP combine their excellent search engine with BNA's result screen format it would be the best thing since chocolate.

Hello...

Not sure if you've seen it but the "Show preview images" option, found on the "Refine Search" page, gives something similar to which you describe.

Just tick the box.

Regards
Beg

Offline SpudKiwi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Thursday 18 June 15 08:41 BST (UK) »
Quote from: SpudKiwi
I think if PP combine their excellent search engine with BNA's result screen format it would be the best thing since chocolate.

Hello...

Not sure if you've seen it but the "Show preview images" option, found on the "Refine Search" page, gives something similar to which you describe.

Just tick the box.

Regards
Beg
I did not know that! Thank you very much, now PP is perfect. That's even better than what BNA does, as its computer generated text often resembles gobbledy-gook.
BELL - Crumlin / Glenavy / New Zealand
CORMICAN - Crumlin
WHITE - Crumlin
MATHEWS - Comber NI
TOLERTON - New Zealand