Author Topic: "Papers Past" Updates Part III  (Read 75209 times)

Offline PapersPast

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: "Papers Past" Updates Part III
« Reply #135 on: Friday 19 June 15 03:52 BST (UK) »
Nice catch there Beg :-)

Quote from: SpudKiwi
I think if PP combine their excellent search engine with BNA's result screen format it would be the best thing since chocolate.

Hello...

Not sure if you've seen it but the "Show preview images" option, found on the "Refine Search" page, gives something similar to which you describe.

Just tick the box.

Regards
Beg

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Friday 19 June 15 03:58 BST (UK) »
Is there a way of refining the search results to show only certain things, like they do on Trove, and the British newspapers.

EG if you only want BMDs to show, not all the adverts and other results.

Trove has it as 'Public Notices' I think and BNA 'People'

Thanks
Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PapersPast

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Friday 19 June 15 05:44 BST (UK) »
Is there a way of refining the search results to show only certain things, like they do on Trove, and the British newspapers.

EG if you only want BMDs to show, not all the adverts and other results.

Trove has it as 'Public Notices' I think and BNA 'People'

Thanks
Ian C

Hi Ian, there's a few different ways to go about this. Firstly, our content types (article, advertisement, illustration) are a bit more coarse than Trove or British Newspapers, but do note that they can be selected independent of each other.

However, I think you'll get much better mileage out of well thought-out keyword searches across all content types, because this way you'll get the results you want irrespective of whether the content types have been mis-indexed or not. So instead of thinking of content types, think of the key words that would have appeared on the item you are looking for (eg, search for "Richard Jones rest peace" in a relevant date range for the notice).

Also, don't be afraid to use a few well-chosen boolean operators! Eg,

Richard Jones -world +peace +rest

- would be a good term to use if that first search query happened to bring back extraneous results relating to "world peace".
You can also combine ALL WORD searches with PHRASE searches by using speechmarks on an all words search - eg:

Richard Jones "rest in peace"

- This can get you to a result very quickly, especially if combined with a date bracket, even one spanning several months. Essentially all of this means that you might not browse BDM stuff in Papers Past as much; instead, you do very specific searches for specific deaths.

As an aside, sometimes on Papers Past, while classifieds/BDM notices often end up in the "Article" category, sometimes you'll see classifieds and BDM notices in the "Advertisement" category. Often this is because you've got a large vertical column of stuff that mixes ads, classifieds, and BDM notices, and it can be ambiguous to our indexing/descriptive work. This means the BDM stuff isn't necessarily all in the one place unfortunately, so I strongly recommend using keywords instead. If you get stuck, just reply here and I'll help you out :-)

Offline SpudKiwi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Friday 19 June 15 07:36 BST (UK) »
Can I add a suggestion? My searches usually involve all papers for a region. I know you can select multiple papers by using CTRL-Click, but the list of papers is getting longer making this task a wee bit more tricky than it should be. Have you given thought to a "search all papers for this region" option once you've selected "by region" from the home page?
BELL - Crumlin / Glenavy / New Zealand
CORMICAN - Crumlin
WHITE - Crumlin
MATHEWS - Comber NI
TOLERTON - New Zealand

Offline hettyhen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Saturday 20 June 15 03:49 BST (UK) »
Tried the "Show Preview Images" option yesterday and whizzed through 64 pages in no time where as before hearing about that option would give up in despair, so thank you Beg and also Papers Past I found an advertisement in Waka Maori 12 April 1879 that has opened a new path on the  search for the elusive Poswillo family.

HeatherR.
Lanarkshire=Robertson-Ross-Russell-Neilson.
Staffordshire= Harrison-Jackson-Round
London=Poswillo-Hyams-Karby-Dossett-Baram-Detloff-Hyman
Gibralter=Poswillo
Dorset= Attwooll-Read-Northover
Australia=Karby-Meyer

Offline PapersPast

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Monday 22 June 15 00:08 BST (UK) »
Can I add a suggestion? My searches usually involve all papers for a region. I know you can select multiple papers by using CTRL-Click, but the list of papers is getting longer making this task a wee bit more tricky than it should be. Have you given thought to a "search all papers for this region" option once you've selected "by region" from the home page?

Hi Spud, this is firmly on our radar. We're working on an updated interface at the moment and this is one of the changes we've planned.

That said, except for birth notices (which are alway region-specific) I would encourage you to search across all papers instead of focussing on one region - people often underestimate how extensively content was federated in NZ compared to some other countries. This means that if something happens in the Bay of Plenty on Tuesday, you'll find reports about it in other papers across the country on wednesday, often with more or less text depending on the editorial needs of the day.

Offline PapersPast

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Monday 29 June 15 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hi folks - more new content! This time round, thanks are due to all of our collaborative partners, who helped bring this online.

Manawatu Standard (1916-1920)
    Manawatu Times (1916-1920)
    Mataura Ensign (1915-1920)
    Nelson Evening Mail (1919-1920)
    New Zealander (1853-1866)
    Patea Mail (1875-1903)
    Pukekohe & Waiuku Times (1921-1924)
    Southland Times (1906-1920)
    Waikato Argus (1896-1914)

Offline newbe_nz

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 00:21 BST (UK) »
 8) one. Thanks for the update PP and for all the hard work you do and your teem as well
Purcell, - Limerick - Ireland,Australia, Westland, NZ
Coppell  - England 1734 to now, New Zealand - 1853 to now
Buckby - England, Australia, New Zealand - 1630 to now
Smith New Zealand
Parker -England - New Zealand  - 1800 to now
Lilley,Lillie, Lilly  - England -New Zealand - 1800 to now
Dykins - Wales, England, New Zealand -  1752 to now
Reynolds, England- 1800 to now
Newdick -Norfolk and Suffolk England , Australia, New Zealand - 1700 to now

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi