Author Topic: James William Chambers  (Read 4807 times)

Offline terryt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James William Chambers
« on: Wednesday 22 August 12 08:58 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information on or parents or descendants of James William Chambers. James was my G.Grandfather.
He was married to Mary Ann Jones in September, 1863 in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. They had 12 children
together the youngest, my grandmother, Mabel Alice.
 He died on the 19th December, 1901. His death certificate
stated he was born in Dublin Ireland and was a seaman. Age at death was 60 years.

terryt
Thomson (Scot)
Porter (Scot)
Sutherland (Scot)
Weir (Scot)
Bowdler (England)
Bradley(England)
O'Callaghan (Ireland)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: James William Chambers
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 10:40 BST (UK) »
Do you have a marriage or death cert for James ?

These could show useful details to help your search, such as the names of his parents..

see : Introduction to Irish Records
        My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline terryt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Shane,

Yes I have a marriage certificate but it doesn't show the name of his mother or father.

terryt
Thomson (Scot)
Porter (Scot)
Sutherland (Scot)
Weir (Scot)
Bowdler (England)
Bradley(England)
O'Callaghan (Ireland)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 August 12 09:26 BST (UK) »
are there any clues re his parents on his death cert ?

You can check for many parish records for Dublin city on www.irishgenealogy.ie I had a search yesterday but didn't see anything likely. The problem is that 'Dublin' is not very specific - as it can refer to somewhere in the city, suburbs or county, and the IrishGenealogy website has mostly city records.

Do you know what denomination your Chambers family were ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline terryt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 August 12 09:48 BST (UK) »
Nothing for parents on his death certificate. They were married by a Presbyterian minister at the bride's
fathers house. The death certificate had a Church of England minister on it. Found a shipping record today
for 1863 where James was listed as a crew member aged 25 from Dublin. From 1863 until 1901 he was a
resident of Queensland. Don't know where he was before then.

terryt
Thomson (Scot)
Porter (Scot)
Sutherland (Scot)
Weir (Scot)
Bowdler (England)
Bradley(England)
O'Callaghan (Ireland)

Offline wendygraham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 December 12 02:26 GMT (UK) »
James William Chambers  is my Great Grandfather. My grandfather was Arthur Daniel Chambers born 1881 married Janet Forsyth. My mother  also Janet ( nee Chambers ) just passed away aged 95. I have just started researching family tree and found your information invaluable. Thankyou.

Offline terryt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 December 12 06:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Wendy,
Good to hear from another Chambers family member. It has been hard to try and track down information on James our g grandfather. Finally managed to get a date of birth for him but no
names for his parents. Have you had any contact with any descendants of the other Chambers
siblings? As a child we used to visit Allen Chambers, son of William James. I have a few dates of
marriages etc for some of the Chambers. I have only really began to do an in depth research on
them this year. Also have some information on Mary Ann Chambers nee Jones. I have been lucky
to have had contact with some of the Jones Family.

I would be happy to share any information I have with you. Look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards
Carol Thomson
Thomson (Scot)
Porter (Scot)
Sutherland (Scot)
Weir (Scot)
Bowdler (England)
Bradley(England)
O'Callaghan (Ireland)

Offline wendygraham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 December 12 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol
Thanks for replying.
You are really the first person I have had contact with re Chambers family. I am the youngest of all my  Chamber cousins.  Re mums family I still have one aunty alive.(Nell)
Arthur Daniel Chambers was a wool classer married Janet Forsyth (born 23 Jun 1885) on 06 Feb 1907 in Brisbane. They had 7 children, 5 girls and 2 boys. Interesting to note that only the boys were given middle names.
James Arthur Chambers (married Edma Page)
Agnes Chambers (married William Marshall)
Jane Chambers (married Thomas BLAZEVICH)
Mary Chambers (married William Keach)
Janet Chambers (my mum) (married Neil Bull)
Arthur Edward Chambers    (married Doreen Upton)
Nell Chambers (married Mervyn Bull -  Neil's younger brother)

Mum was born at 24 Hurworth St Bowen Hills and lived at Wilston, Breakfast Creek and Indooroopilly when married.
Daisy Chambers who was married to William Arthur Clayton gave mum a pair of brass candle sticks (which I now have) which were brought out to Australia with the family.  William Clayton gave mum away at her wedding. (Her dad Arthur Daniel Chambers died when mum was 12. He lived at 76 Cricket Street prior to his wedding. This house is still there as I recently took mum for a drive past it.)

I remember meeting this Aunty Daisy when I was really little. A long time ago now.
Dont have much else though. I have a few old photos of Janet Chambers but none of Arthur Chambers.

Mary Ann Chambers married Alexander JOHNMAN (a tailor)

We regularly visited Helen Catherine JOHNMAN (Aunty Nell Johnman as I called her) at her family home in Princess St Taringa. Her sister  Ethel Daisy (married David Leighton BOWLER and lived in the house next door that my dad built.)

Hope these few facts help. Looking forward to sharing more as we put the very addictive jigsaw puzzle we call our family tree, together.
Cheers Wendy