Author Topic: BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 10 Episode #2: Gregg Wallace  (Read 16596 times)

Online larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 10 Episode #2: Gregg Wallace
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 22:32 BST (UK) »
I also wondered why they missed the birth of 2 children on the 1911 census.
But the childs death was tragic.
I enjoyed this one, had me hooked, maybe it was Gregs happy chappy attitude and NO theatricals. Loved the fact his great grandad was a greengrocer!! Must be something in the blood...
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 22:35 BST (UK) »
I found this one really interesting and shocking too, especially the records from the asylum and the probability that her picture was post-asylum and not as he'd first thought it to be, showing her as a rather comfortably-off lady.

King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline baggygenes

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 22:41 BST (UK) »
I did think though that perhaps it wasn't an amazing mass of bad things ... probably just compared to our lives now
we couldn't imagine that many things happening and how devastating it would be  but then I thought of people in my tree women widowed 3 or  4 times , husbands setting up home elsewhere, lots of dead infants people in the workhouse, suicides etc  to think it maybe wasn't looked on like that in those days ..  sounds harsh but hope you get what I mean?
If you look deeply into the palm of your hand, you will see your parents and all generations of your ancestors. All of them are alive in this moment. Each is present in your body. You are the continuation of each of these people. (Thich Nhat Hanh)

Offline 1pds

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Grandad Joseph Woodcock
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 22:45 BST (UK) »
I was watching it on BBC iPlayer and I've lost bandwidth half way through!  >:(

Want to know if he finds out where the Stoker ends up...   ???

Come on BT, wind the bobbin up....
Sands Frain Moore Woodcock Loft Snowden

Offline 1pds

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Grandad Joseph Woodcock
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 23:02 BST (UK) »
BT has put another Bob in the meter...
How do they know that Selina is a "home" glove maker, and not a glove maker in a factory?
Sands Frain Moore Woodcock Loft Snowden

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 23:41 BST (UK) »
I found this one really interesting and shocking too, especially the records from the asylum and the probability that her picture was post-asylum and not as he'd first thought it to be, showing her as a rather comfortably-off lady.

Yes, it made you see the portrait in a completely different light, didn't it - when you look hard at an expression in a photograph, when you've researched the person, you can see something else. I have a photo of my great grandmother and her family. She looks quite thin and careworn if you look closely. Although she has three little children with her, two others had died in one month, the previous year. I may of course be imagining I can see that, in her face.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 23:48 BST (UK) »
I wondered that about the glove making... I presume it is just the opinion of the expert but it is odd when they then continue as if it is fact.

It was a good programme though. I like last week's with Samantha Womack/Janus  too.   And sad to hear yet another child burnt alive. What a cooincidence.

Talking of tragic families...I felt a bit like this when I found out about my grandother who had never spoken of her early life...turns out her sister died when she was young, then her father goes off to war for the whole of her childhood.  He comes back and dies in 1925. She then  has to nurse her mother through cancer whilst working and bringing up little brother. Then her mother dies in 1930. She finally marries and has a baby (great)... baby dies, then her husband dies.   And my mother wonders why she never talked about her family.   I shed a few tears researching all of that and wishing I had known while she was still alive.

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 23 August 12 00:09 BST (UK) »
Much better than last week, really enjoyed it.  Greg seemed to have genuine enthusiam and was genuinely moved by his family history.

My ears pricked up when he was looking into the divorce that never happened, he mentioned the National Archives but I can't for the life of me find anything on there.  There again, TNA has always baffled me  ???
Paternal: Staffordshire, Shropshire, Lancashire, Cheshire, Durham, Wales, Arrondissements Oudenaarde and Gent, Belgium, -  - Maternal: Cheshire, Lancashire, Ireland

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 23 August 12 01:09 BST (UK) »
A very poignant episode.

Despite all the sadness I think it was one of the best WDYTYA for a long time. It reminds us, if we needed reminding, how hard life could be and how the cycle of misfortune can be repeated generation after generation. A salutary tale
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.