Author Topic: riddlesden keighley  (Read 2781 times)

Offline Mavals

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: riddlesden keighley
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 August 12 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Stoop,

I rather suspect that myself, perhaps bought a new house and gave it a grand name, however, all is not yet lost!

I will try to get back to the library tomorrow afternoon and look at the maps. They have an amazing collection.
Yesterday we checked the lists of " grand " houses, those that are listed and planning applications.

Have you any idea which mill he worked at?  There were a lot.......

(TV Trivia - when the BBC filmed North and South some time ago, they used Dalton Lane mill for the exterior grim mill scenes - mind you they also used Edinburgh Calton Hill for some exterior shots only 200 miles apart!)
Donaldson: Langholm
Donaldson: Inverurie
Vann: Ightham Kent
Knibbs: London ( Battersea/ Pimlico)
Longman: Poole
Wakeling:
Vicary

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 August 12 16:15 BST (UK) »
This is where it gets so frusrating, I know so much and yet so little about him . I have photographs of him at the mill wherever it is, he is surrounded by his staff. Apparently he manufactured schoolwear badges, ties and the like. There is another of him posing with the Earl of Munster. Yet another one outside Buckingham Palace with his wife this was in 1967 .I do not know what award he received. He was also a mason . I have a feeling that the mill was in or near Bradford. Joseph died sometime in the seventies certainly before 1978. stoop.

Offline Mavals

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 August 12 16:47 BST (UK) »
Any idea when he was at Buck House in 1967? if he got a gong, the K News will undoubtedly report it. I will ask my neighbour about the mill, she may have an idea. Was he living in Keighley when he died? - again the K News could well have covered it.

There are loads of Smiths in Keighley as you might expect and one well known Smith mill owner was Prince Smith

I can go into their office on Tuesday and ask if they have anything, they have been very helpful with something else I was looking for. They are just across the road from the library.

Do you have any certificates for him? DOB etc
Wakeling:
Vicary

Offline Mavals

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 08 September 12 11:43 BST (UK) »
There is a special exhibition in Keighley Library today fr the heritage weekend and they have old electoral rolls on display amongst other things, so I am going down to try and see if I can find any clues to New Hall

Sylvia
Wakeling:
Vicary

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 September 12 12:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sylvia, hope you strike lucky. Regards stoop

Offline Mavals

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 08 September 12 14:58 BST (UK) »
Made a little bit of progress

I found Arthur, Joseph and Sarah Ann registered as living at New Hall in 1922 up to 1927. Lily didn't feature on the rolls but of course universal franchise didn't start until 1928. I was hoping to find her as it looks like she lived with her in laws as Joseph continues to feature on the ER. They seem to disappear from the electoral roll after 27 for that particular ward.
(Keighley Constituency, Morton Banks, District S)

However, now I know which bit of the Electoral roll they features in, I can go back and look at the maps again as I now know which bit of the haystack the needle is hidden! . (Couldn't get at them this pm as the drawers were being used for a display about Keighley Schools!)

Sylvia
Wakeling:
Vicary

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 08 September 12 16:43 BST (UK) »
I do appreciate your efforts Sylvia, you are revealing so much interesting information about my family. Regards stoop

Offline Mavals

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 08 September 12 16:54 BST (UK) »
In the same bit of the electoral roll I also saw a reference to a Hall Farm, so might be a good place to start looking.

There was a Keighley Local History Group stall and I asked about New Hall in case anyone knew it and she has taken my details.

I am having great fun, I do like a good puzzle.

Sylvia
Wakeling:
Vicary

Offline Mavals

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 10 September 12 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Stoop

Just had a frustrating hour at the library and cannot locate New Hall on any of the maps. I did notice quite a few " detached" houses in their own plots on the large maps but they were unnamed

If you google map:s Unity Street, Riddlesden BD20, that is the area of Moreton Banks where New Hall was located and that is as near as I can place it I am afraid. Unfortunately - or fortunately the old electoral registers are in alphabetical order, which makes it easy to find the Smiths but not easy to locate the road the house was in!

Its going to need some foot work but I do not have time to go there for a couple of weeks as we are going away to Scotland later this week ( more research and field work on OH G grandfather)

Kind regards

Sylvia
Wakeling:
Vicary