Author Topic: 1841 Lookup for Richard Gate? COMPLETED Thank you  (Read 5534 times)

Offline sue smith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Elizabeth Milward b 1884
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Lookup for Richard Gate?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 22:33 BST (UK) »
Wish I had ancestors with unusual surnames!

Will chase these down and see where they get me. Westnewton a possibility I think.

Thank you Isobel!
Archer, Walker, Armstrong, King, Watson, Hoodless, Milward, Gate.

Please note that any information supplied to lookup requests is for the purpose of private study and research only, and may not be used for commercial purposes.  All Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sue smith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 23:08 BST (UK) »
Think I have a link.

Ann listed on the 1841 is missing on the 1851, but she is present on the 1861 and gives her date of birth as 1796 and place as Longtown.

I have marriage record for an Ann Gate to a John Wise in 1817 in Holm Cultram.

So circumstantial but would say Ann on the 1841 with Richard Gate is father and daughter, originally from Longtown.

Please note that any information supplied to lookup requests is for the purpose of private study and research only, and may not be used for commercial purposes.  All Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline robbiesmum

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 August 12 10:19 BST (UK) »
From the Arthuret BTs:
Apr-03   1795   Bapt.   GATE   Ann Bastard daughter of Richard Gate of Warton in the Parish of Wigton & Jane Renwick of Longtown   

Nov-24   1800   Marr.   GATE   Richard Gate of the Parish of Wigton, Widower & Jane Renwick of this Parish, Spinster by Banns    

And possibly this one:
Nov-27   1772   Bapt.   RENWICK   Jane daughter of Richard of Slealandsburn   

Offline sue smith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 August 12 12:01 BST (UK) »
From the Arthuret BTs:
Apr-03   1795   Bapt.   GATE   Ann Bastard daughter of Richard Gate of Warton in the Parish of Wigton & Jane Renwick of Longtown   

Nov-24   1800   Marr.   GATE   Richard Gate of the Parish of Wigton, Widower & Jane Renwick of this Parish, Spinster by Banns    

And possibly this one:
Nov-27   1772   Bapt.   RENWICK   Jane daughter of Richard of Slealandsburn   

That's brilliant, thank you so much for finding it! Was going to have a look tonight at how I could track down Arthuret records and you have saved me a job. Rootschat and the people on it are just great.

Nicely tied all together now, can feel the bug for this biting again!

Offline robbiesmum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Lookup for Richard Gate? COMPLETED Thank you
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 August 12 12:27 BST (UK) »
I had a look in the Arthuret MIs for any Renwicks, there is one gravestone but it looks as though it for the family of a younger Richard Renwick, possibly Jane's brother:

In memory of Margaret RENWICK wife of Richard RENWICK of Longtown who died Febry the 13th 1807 aged 32 years. Also Richard their son who died April the 18th 1801 aged 5 years. Also Richard their son who died in infancy.

These are the other Renwicks from Arthuret who might be related to Jane (its not a common name in Arthuret), which gives the name Mary as a possible mother to Jane.

Oct-08   1775   Bapt.   RENWICK   Richard son of Richard, Labourer & Mary his wife of Path
Feb-11   1781   Bapt.   RENWICK   John son of Richard, Labourer & Mary his wife of Peth
Nov-28   1785   Burial   RENWICK   Richard of Peth, Labourer   
Mar-01   1798   Bapt.   RENWICK   John son of Richard & Margaret of Longtown   
Dec-15   1799   Bapt.   RENWICK   Mary Daughter of Richard & Margt. of Longtown
Apr-19   1801   Burial   RENWICK   Richard son of Richard & Margaret of Longtown   
Apr-11   1802   Bapt.   RENWICK   Eleanor daughter of Richd. & Margaret of Longtown   
Dec-16   1803   Burial   RENWICK   Mary of Longtown, Widow aged 67 years   
Mar-30   1804   Bapt.   RENWICK   Margaret daughter of Richard & Margaret of Longtown
Apr-06   1806   Bapt.   RENWICK   Richard son of Richard of Longtown, Weaver & Margaret his wife (late Edkin)   
May-17   1806   Burial   RENWICK   Richard son of Richd. & Margt. of Longtown   
Feb-15   1807   Burial   RENWICK   Margaret wife of Richd. of Longtown
Jul-05   1818   Bapt.   RENWICK   Edward Bastard son of Richard Renwick, Weaver of Longtown & Jane Huggon   
Apr-16   1821   Burial   RENWICK   Edward aged 3 of Longtown
Feb-03   1823   Burial   RENWICK   Ellinor aged 21 of Longtown
Mar-07   1832   Burial   RENWICK   Richard aged 56 of Longtown   

Hope this helps!

Offline sue smith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 August 12 20:34 BST (UK) »
That is brilliant, really does help me out. Thank you so so much.

Off to spend some happy research time looking up Slealandsburn and Peth (which I think is gone now) and rooting through it all. Half the fun is looking at it, google maps makes geneology much more fun!

Offline rider179

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 04 October 12 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hello!  I do believe this post has broken through one of my brick walls as well and I just had to create an account to thank you both, Sue Smith & Robbiesmum!

My 3rd great grandfather was John Renwick of Longtown, England. 

Born: Feb 1798 in Longtown, England
Married: 13 Sep 1819 to Alice Towers in Blackburn, Lancashire, England
Occupaton:  Draper
Death:  May 1857 in Hoboken, NJ

Before this, I had been unable to go back any further, but now with your post I have so much more to add to my tree! 

You wouldn't happen to have a photo of the gravestone you found for Margaret Renwick, would you?

Thank you for all the information already provided - I'm ever so grateful!

Sincerely,
Pamela

Offline robbiesmum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 October 12 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Pamela
I've put the Renwick photo on my online album of Cumbrian churchyards - see the Arthuret album at:
http://longtown19.magix.net/album

Its number C298, I think you should be able to download it from there.

One of their children, Richard, was baptised at Kirkandrews on Esk in 1796 (on the IGI as Benwick) - mother named as Margaret Atkin - married at Kirkandrews in 1795.

best wishes
robbiesmum

Offline rider179

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 October 12 16:51 BST (UK) »
Beautiful photos, thank you so much, Robbiesmum!  I'm indebted to you both for all your help!   ;D