Author Topic: Yorkstones in Brown Street, Haddington  (Read 3692 times)

Offline Anon anon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Yorkstones in Brown Street, Haddington
« on: Friday 24 August 12 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hi I am looking for any information on the Yorkstone families who lived in Haddington in the 1800s. They are  in Brown Street in the census. The family is more Leith based so not sure how or why this group of my family came to be in Haddington.

Many thanks.

Offline Woodsd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Yorkstones in Brown Street, Haddington
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 August 12 18:39 BST (UK) »
Moira

I can't really help you; other than to mention that Yorkston (not sure whether the name had an "e" or not) used to be a well-established cobbler shop in Brown Street, until maybe 20 or 30 years ago.  I have a book called "Haddington in Old Picture Postcards" by J M Russell (published 1983) which has a photograph of Brown Street (and the shop that became Yorkston the cobblers) around 1900.  Also, Yorkston appears on the Haddington war memorial.

I Googled "Yorkston" plus "Haddington" and got several reasonable hits, including other references on Rootschat.  But you've probably done that already, and I see you mention having gone back to census returns

I know that's not much to go on, but might just be of some help.

Regards

David

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 August 12 18:47 BST (UK) »
Moira

There is a George Yorkstone and family at Standingstone, Parish of Morham, East Lothian, in the 1841 census.

He was aged 40, and an Ag Lab.

Hibee
Midlothian: Adam(s), Meikle/Muckle
Leith: Bridges
Edinburgh: Brown
Prestonpans: Bird, Inglis
Fife: Wemyss
Orkney: Brock
Ireland: Sweeney

Offline Anon anon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 August 12 08:14 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Hibbie and David. I will investigate the cobblers store in Brown Street. Have not heard of them before, really interesting. My great great grandfather's father was the Brown Street connection, and there were several generations at 2 and 6 Brown Street, but the family first appear in Canongate in the 1600s and then mostly Leith born and died, some had Leith parents but born on farms. A lot of farm labourers in there so they were pretty mobile in their working lifes. Interesting though all roads seem to lead back to Leith for most of my ancestors and they died thier. The library may have a copy of the postcard book so going to have a look for it. Thanks again.