Author Topic: General search facility?  (Read 10374 times)

Offline Eastman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
General search facility?
« on: Saturday 25 August 12 00:43 BST (UK) »
Can someone tell me how the registry office "general search facility" works and what the benefits are of paying £18 for one.

The reason being, I'm looking for the death of a Mary Alice Jones who might have died in the Manchester area, but with few clues I can't say WHICH Mary Alice Jones on the index is mine.

Whereas if the "general search facility" does offer some advantage I might stand a chance.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: General search facility?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 August 12 01:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

My understanding is that you are paying to search the indexes yourself, you don't have access to the registers. The information is not going to have any more details than the GRO Index or LancashireBMD.

I note that Manchester Register Office also state that they won't verify additional information anymore.

Andy

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 August 12 01:21 BST (UK) »
Have you tried looking for Mary Alice here?
http://www.burialrecords.manchester.gov.uk/

You may be able to narrow things down a bit by seeing if you recognise any of the other names in the grave.

Also - depending on the date you can sometimes cross ref the age at death of your person if it is showing on the FreeBMD index with the burial dates to see if it is a possibility.

I have found a few of my Manchester folk that way

Once you narrow it all down you can then look at the original register to check their last address etc - but be careful as it does use up credits quickly once you start viewing original pages.

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eastman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 August 12 01:27 BST (UK) »
Andy, Thanks for replying.

Unfortunately  the additional information is the very bit I need.

Sounds crazy of Manchester to not offer additional information anymore as if I worded an application for a certificate carefully enough they would have to return my cheque each time there was no match on say a spouse, which means it could take far more of their time up.

Offline Eastman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 August 12 01:31 BST (UK) »
Hi millymcb, I have tried there and some very devious strategies to try and identify this ancestor.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 August 12 01:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

Reading their website it looks like you apply using either details from the GRO index or LancashireBMD only, they issue a certificate from this information. It sounds like they don't even have a look if you don't do this, they probably return your cheque straightaway.

This is from their website.

Certificate applications received by this office will be searched on the basis of name, year, quarter and district of registration. We are no longer be able to verify additional information such as parents' names, occupations, and street names before issuing a certificate.

In each case where the name, year, quarter and district correspond with those given by the applicant a certificate will be issued and fee charged without exception.

For applications containing a Lancashire BMD reference, if the name corresponds to that stated on the application, a certificate will be issued and fee charged without exception

What you have to keep in mind is that generally family history is not a primary function of Register Offices and I have no doubt seen by many as a pain in the backside.

Andy

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 August 12 08:35 BST (UK) »
Can you not give us some information and we can possibly help narrow down your search
when was she born,who did she marry,what was her husbands name ,when do you think she may have died,within 10 years will do,if you have her in a census,where was she living,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 August 12 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,

You can order certificates from GRO without any index references; it does take around 3 weeks but if they cannot find a match you get a refund; cost is still £9.25.

GRO will search 1 year either side of the year you state; eg. 1849-1851 for 1850 but will only search 1 registration district.

I've used this for a few births but not tried it for deaths.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 August 12 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hi
Have you checked these out?
All registered Manchester
Mary Alice Jones b16 April 1888 d June 1976