Author Topic: Mercy CHARD  (Read 5224 times)

Offline MyRoutes

• RootsChat Extra
  • 1944 - infinity
    • View Profile
Mercy CHARD
« on: Saturday 25 August 12 02:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

there were two Mercy Chards born to Joseph and Caroline Chard of Keynsham. The first abt. 1836/7 and the second in 1858. The first born emigrated to Australia in 1857, but I can find nothing of the Mercy born in 1858. BTW the first born was Mercy Ann Chard, I don't know the second name of the eleventh born Mercy.

Any assistance would be appreciated,

MyRoutes
Harrogan, Harragan

Offline chezza60

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mercy CHARD
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 August 12 03:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

We may have no family connection , yet I have a Mary Chard born to Robert & Anne Chard in Keysham in 1819.
Mary married a Thomas Wilton & came to Australia on the Neptune in 1854.
Maybe Joseph was a brother to my Robert????
Sorry I can't help you with your Question.

Chezza

Offline MyRoutes

• RootsChat Extra
  • 1944 - infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 August 12 07:50 BST (UK) »
G'day Chezza (relo),

Mary Wilton (nee Chard) 1819-1885 was actually the younger sister of my Joseph Chard 1818-1906. They were the last of five children of Robert Carter Chard 1779-1867. I have a lot of burial plots to look for at Mudgee next year.

Joseph Chards first child, Mercy Ann, came to Oz in 1856/7 with her husband John Harris, from whose branch I swing.

Cheers,

MyRoutes
Harrogan, Harragan

Offline chezza60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 August 12 08:39 BST (UK) »
G'Day,

I had a feeling we may have been connected.

Would you believe my husband & I are off in our caravan Tuesday week & we are going to call in at Mudgee.
Any info would be great that we can look at while we are there.

Chezza

Offline MyRoutes

• RootsChat Extra
  • 1944 - infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 August 12 10:13 BST (UK) »
All I have ATM is this from BDM NSW.

Certificate 1 1955/1885

May have to enquire at Mudgee for plot details.

MyRoutes
Harrogan, Harragan

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 August 12 00:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

There was a Mercy Ann CHARD baptised at SS Philip and Jacob, Bristol on 11 Jun 1837, but her parents were Robert and Martha.

11.06.1837,  MERCY ANN d. of ROBERT & MARTHA CHARD, CHURCH LANE, LABOURER, age 6 wks

Joseph Chard and Caroline Rowe were married at the same church on 2 Oct 1837. His father was called Robert.

It seems unlikely that there should be were two Mercy Ann Chards born in the same year and area.  Perhaps she was Joseph and Caroline's illegitimate daughter and baptised by her grandparents ... except Joseph's mother was Ann.   Or perhaps Mercy's father was a different Robert, a brother of Joseph. The 1851 census doesn't actually say she was Joseph's daughter, just that she was Robert's grandaughter. And in 1841 she's not with Joseph and Caroline. Have you found her in that census?

The 1858 Mercy was registered as just Mercy (mother's maiden name Roe) but in the 1861 census Robert and Caroline have a daughter Elizabeth aged 2. In 1871 they have Mercy E. So it looks like she had the second name Elizabeth - although not registered - and probably used that to distinguish herself from Mercy Ann.

David

Offline lucyrabbit

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 September 13 13:41 BST (UK) »
Mercy Elizabeth (born 1858) was my Husband's Great Grandmother. She had two illegitimate children that I know of. My Husband's Grandfather Sidney Thomas (1882) was the first and later a daughter Christiana (1883). I have not been able to find out what happened to Mercy or Christiana. Sidney Thomas lived with his Grandfather Joseph
I hope this helps

Mary

Offline MyRoutes

• RootsChat Extra
  • 1944 - infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 September 13 03:51 BST (UK) »
Mary,

having contemplated the possibility that Christiana may have been altered to Christine and having thought deeply about the consequences for you of what I may have uncovered, I can only propose it to you and hope you consider my action accordingly as that of a caring person.

http://search.ancestry.com.au/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1911England&h=55546786&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&rhSource=8912

The mathematics and locations in the 1911 Census all seem to add up.

Sincerely,

Al
Harrogan, Harragan

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 September 13 09:12 BST (UK) »
The Christine Chard living at the Lunatic asylum in 1911 is with her husband Charles Parsons Chard and a son. Her maiden name was Parsons not Chard. (Probably they were cousins.) There are separate birth registrations for Christine Elizabeth Parsons and Christiana Chard, in different districts. They were different people.

(It would also appear that none of the family were inmates of the asylum. They are listed among the servants; he probably managed the associated farm.)

David