Author Topic: Mercy CHARD  (Read 5225 times)

Offline MyRoutes

• RootsChat Extra
  • 1944 - infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Mercy CHARD
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 September 13 09:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you David. It seems that it is easier for me to track my branch of the Chards in Australia (Mercy Ann) than it seems to track Mercy Elizabeth in the UK. Sad for Mary though that she is having no luck with Mercy E and Christiana.

I'm a bit far away for thorough research. Better that I not attempt it again.

Regards,

Al
Harrogan, Harragan

Offline MyRoutes

• RootsChat Extra
  • 1944 - infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 04:33 BST (UK) »
Harrogan, Harragan

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Al

There's a Christiana Chard in Leicester in the 1901 and 1911 censuses. Daughter of Edwin and Julia, born in Leicester in 1894. Almost certainly she's the one who married in 1917.

David

Offline MyRoutes

• RootsChat Extra
  • 1944 - infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 21:56 BST (UK) »
David,

wow, there isn't any wonder Mary is finding it so difficult. What is it with the Chards and "Christiana".

ATM there is another descendant of the Chard's in Oz on a Board, and guess what her first name is - yep, Christiana.

I'm pondering, that if she delved into her parents (or grand-parents) choice of name for her, she may find her answers.

Thanks again,

Al
Harrogan, Harragan

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 September 13 00:15 BST (UK) »

What is it with the Chards and "Christiana".
l

Well, my Chard ancestors never used the name. But they lived in the south of Somerset and are probably completely unrelated to your Chards.

Other branches of my family do come from the Bristol/Keynsham area. There Christian was a not uncommon girl's name but I don't recall coming across any other Christianas. I suspect the name caught on in the later 19th century - did Queen Victoria have a daughter called Christiana?

Even if there were a couple of other Christiana Chards around it out to be easy to trace Mercy Elizabeth's daughter but I can't find her.  One possibility is that she used her father's surname. Perhaps Mercy Elizabeth married Christiana's father but he was not Sidney Thomas's father so he was left with her parents. Or even she didn't marry him but lived with him and took his name.
A difficult one.

David

Offline MyRoutes

• RootsChat Extra
  • 1944 - infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 September 13 00:54 BST (UK) »
Certainly more difficult than Mercy Ann. Poor Mary.

Goodnight David,
Sleep tight,
Don't let the bedbugs bite,

Al
Harrogan, Harragan