Author Topic: QUESTION: Did 'Huguenots' settle in Scotland?  (Read 64996 times)

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: QUESTION: Did 'Huguenots' settle in Scotland?
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 19 September 12 20:29 BST (UK) »
Clezie was a variant spelling of Clazie, used in Scotland during the 17th & 18th centuries, interchangeably with Clazie, later taken to Canada and the United States.  Le Clezio is found on Jersey, a British dependency in the Channel Islands near the coast of Normandy, and Le Clezio also also is found in France proper.  How, if at all, is Le Clezio related to Clezie, and to the Clazie names found in Languedoc, Friesland and Berwickshire?  Much remains unknown about the movements of people and their surnames  "Trust me" does not inspire trust but the reverse.  Best to keep an open mind, a sense of humility about the limits of our knowledge, while continuing to search for evidence.

Clezie (Clazie, Clezy, Clazy, Clazey, Claise, etc.), Lockhart, Heiser, Schwab, Tomon, Zarnowski, Megert, Iseli

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 20 September 12 10:05 BST (UK) »
Well if you choose not to trust expert opinion..what more is there to say? I give up. Good luck to you.
Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 20 September 12 17:13 BST (UK) »
The purpose of RootsChat is to share family information; not talk-down to others.  There are no “experts” here, only people cooperating to learn.  Lecturers quickly discover that nobody is listening.  I bid you a fond adieu.
Clezie (Clazie, Clezy, Clazy, Clazey, Claise, etc.), Lockhart, Heiser, Schwab, Tomon, Zarnowski, Megert, Iseli

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 20 September 12 17:24 BST (UK) »
On the contrary, there are plenty of experts, as well as every grade of amateur. Richarde has been very generous with his time and knowledge (on both this and your own thread), and it is clear that this is indeed his area of expertise.  Of course, it is up to you whether to trust his knowledge or judgement, but writing him off as a "lecturer" is, in my opinion,  quite an insulting and ungrateful put-down.

Good luck with your search, but I don't suppose anything you learn here will affect your pre-conceived ideas.

Mike

Offline Hillhead123

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 27 October 12 09:46 BST (UK) »
In his book Old NEWMILNS, Hugh Maxwell quotes that a major factor in the development of handloom weaving industry was due to the settlement of Flemish and Huguenot immigrants in the village who brought with them the knowledge of how to pattern weave and read the cloth.

Offline pagan1675

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 20 November 16 13:09 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to establish a link for my family name of Pagon or Pagan in Scotland (or elsewhere). They came to settle in the Eastern Shore of Maryland, USA in about 1700, and settled in a community which had some Huguenot refugees (Antoine LeCompte from Picardy). I wondered whether there was any Huguenot connection for the Pagans which would incline them to settle in that area of the USA. Does anyone know of any sources I could look into? The first Pagan I have is a Harbott (or possibly Herbert) Pagan who must have been born around 1675.
Any suggestions about how to go about researching his origins would be most gratefully received.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 21 November 16 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Earliest date for the name in Scotland that I can find is

PAGEN
HELENE child of HEW PAGEN/JONET HERIOT

18/11/1638

Edinburgh

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 21 November 16 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Black, in his surnames, has the Latin Paganus, a chaplain in Glasgow, 1180 & Pagan in Paisley before 1265. "Found in the west & southwest of Scotland. Isobel Pagan 1741-1820 was a minor poet.

Skoosh.

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Our earliest known Pagane/Pagan is Thomas, a merchant living in Glasgow.  I know little about him beyond the fact that he had at least two children, Mary born 1674 and Thomas born 1676, both in Glasgow.  I also suspect a David but have no firm evidence of this.  This generation was involved in the transportation of Palatine Germans from Rotterdam to Pennsylvania, returning to Glasgow with trade goods, mostly tobacco from Virginia and sugar from St Kitts.  My understanding is that because of the connotation of the name, in some cases it mutated over time to Pane, Pain, Paigne etc.,