Author Topic: CLARK family, 1830-1880, Bridge End, Startforth, Barnard Castle, Durham/N Riding  (Read 10935 times)

Offline ChicoChico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: CLARK family, 1830-1880, Bridge End, Startforth, Barnard Castle, Durham/N Riding
« Reply #18 on: Monday 03 September 12 03:07 BST (UK) »
BTW – Here are all the details I have put together so far (part1);

Simmonetti Genealogical Summary:

Joseph SIMMONETTI [1a] (variations; Simmonette [2a-c], [3a], [5], [9a & b], Simmonettie [9c], Simonetta [7a], [7b]), of Richmond, Yorkshire [1a] – b: about 1775 [1a] (specific birthplace not given, but listed as “foreign” [1a]), d: about Jun 1845 [9a] at Richmond, Yorkshire [9a].

Married (date and location, currently unknown), Mary ? (surname currently unknown), of Bridge St [5], Richmond, Yorkshire [1b], [3a], [5] (North Riding) [3a], [5], retired flower maker [5] – b: alternately 1769 [3a], [5], 1775 [2a] or 1778 [1b], at Kirby [2a], [3a], [5] Over Blow [5], Yorkshire [1b], [2a], [3a], [5], d: about Mar 1863 [9b], Richmond, Yorkshire [9b].

Children of Joseph and Mary Simmonetti (one identified others currently unknown):

i) John Simonetta [7a] (an assumption; since he is listed as father of Mary Ann Simonetta on her marriage certificate [7a], and she is listed as granddaughter of Mary Simmonetti [2c]), Flower-maker [7a], b: (date and location currently unknown), d: between 1837 & 1841 (an assumption; based on birth year of youngest known child [1f] and he was not listed on the 1841 Simmonetti household census).

Married before 1828 (an assumption based on birth year of eldest known child [1d], location unknown) to Elizabeth [1c], “Eliza” [2d], [3b], [4a], [6] (surname currently unknown), Flower Maker (retired) [4a], of Richmond, Yorkshire [1c], [3b], [6] (North Riding) [3b], [6] – b: alternately 1808 [2d], [3b], [6],  1811 [1c] or 1816 [4a] at Richmond [2d], [3b], [4a], [6] Yorkshire [1c], [2d], [3b], [4a], [6], d: after 1881 (an assumption; since she is listed as “border” on the 1881 Clark Household census [4a], probably at Bridgend, Startforth, (York NR), Durham [4a], her last known address).
CLARK - Bridge End, Startforth, North Riding, Yorkshire & Barnard Castle, Durham
+ TODD nee SIMMONETTI - Richmond, Leyburn North Riding, Yorkshire
 |== CLARK (Smith) - Lartington, North Riding Yorkshire
    |== (Smith nee Clark) GARBUTT - Thornley, Durham
    |== CLARK (Kime) - Guisborough, North Riding Yorkshire
 |== (Clark) COLLEDGE - W. Hartlepool, Durham

Offline ChicoChico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: CLARK family, 1830-1880, Bridge End, Startforth, Barnard Castle, Durham/N Riding
« Reply #19 on: Monday 03 September 12 03:08 BST (UK) »
--- and part 2

Children of John and Elizabeth (nee ?) Simonetti;

i) Emma [1d], [2b] of Richmond, Yorkshire [1d] – b: between 1828 [1d] and 1829 [2b] at Richmond [2b], Yorkshire [1d], [2b], d: (date and location currently unknown). About Sep 1853 [8a] married (either Charles Moore, or John King, candidates based on their year and location of marriage [8a])

ii) Mary Ann (my 2nd great grandmother) [1e] (Mary A [2c]) of Richmond, Yorkshire [1e] – b: between 1832 [7a] and 1834 [1e], [2c] at Richmond [2c] Yorkshire [1e], [2c], d: about Mar 1884 [10a] at Teesdale [10a]. On 25 Apr 1854 [7a], at Register Office (an assumption; Register Office at Barnard Castle, since register is identified as “Register No. BCRO2, Entry No. 191, District: Durham Western (1854)” [7b]), Teesdale District, Counties of Durham & York [7a], married Thomas CLARK [7a], [7b].

iii) Jiffana [sic] [1f] or Gavon_y [sic] [9c] (an assumption; The correct name is Giovanni – if the “J” in the first transcription is pronounced as a hard “J”(like Joke), and the two “ff” are slightly vocalized, they sound like a “v”. If the first two letters of the second transcription are pronounced literally and the final “y” is pronounced like the letter “e”, then the name is literally, “G”- “a” “van” – “e”) of Richmond, Yorkshire [1f] – b: about 1837 [1f] at Yorkshire [1f], d: about Sep 1846 [9c] at Richmond, Yorkshire [9c].

About Dec 1842 [8b] at Knaresboro' [8b], Elizabeth married secondly, John TODD [2e], [3c], [6] Cordwainer [6], of Bridge Street [6], Richmond, Yorkshire (North Riding) [3c], [6] – b: about 1809 [2e], [3c], [6] at Thirsk [2e], [3c], [6] Yorkshire [2e], [3c], [6], d: before 1881 (an assumption, since his wife is listed as “border” on the 1881 Clark Household census [4a], probably at Richmond, Yorkshire [3c], his last known address).

Children of John and Elizabeth “Eliza” (nee ?, Simmonetti) Todd;

i) Joseph [2f], [3d], [6], Apprentice Cordwainer [6], of Bridge Street [6], Richmond, Yorkshire (North Riding) [3d], [6] – b: about 1844 [2f], [3d], [6] at Harrogate [2f], [6] (or Harrowgate [3d]), Yorkshire [2f], [3d], [6], d: (date and location currently unknown)
ii) Eliza [2g], [3e], [5] of Bridge St [5], Richmond, Yorkshire (North Riding) [3e], [5] – b: about 1847 [2g], [3e], [5] at Richmond [2g], [3e], [5] Yorkshire [2g], [3e], [5], d: (date and location currently unknown)
iii) John [2h], [3f], [6] of Bridge Street [6], Richmond, Yorkshire (North Riding) [3f], [6] – b: about 1849 [2h], [3f], [6] at Richmond [2h], [3f], [6], Yorkshire [2h], [3f], [6], d: (date and location currently unknown)

Sources:
[1a-f] – "England and Wales Census, 1841," index, FamilySearch~DOT~org
[2a-h] – "England and Wales Census, 1851," index, FamilySearch~DOT~org
[3a-f] – "England and Wales Census, 1861," index, FamilySearch~DOT~org
[4a] – "England and Wales Census, 1881," index, FamilySearch~DOT~
[5] – Simmonette Household, Richmond -North Riding of Yorkshire, 1861 census, transcription, FreeCen~DOT~Org~DOT~UK
[6] – Todd Household, Richmond -North Riding of Yorkshire, 1861 census, transcription, FreeCen~DOT~Org~DOT~UK
 [7a] – Marriage Certificate, Register Office, Teesdale District, Counties of Durham & York, Entry no. 191,  Transcript by extended family
[7b] – Register No. BCRO2, Entry No. 191, District: Durham Western (1854), Search Results From Marriages 1851-1860 (Thomas Clark) Durham County Council, Database Inquiry, nd~DOT~Durham~DOT~Gov~DOT~UK
[8a] – Civil Registration Index of Marriages (Richmond, Yorkshire), Transcription, FreeBMD~DOT~Org~DOT~UK
[8b] – Civil Registration Index of Marriages (Knaresboro'), Transcription, FreeBMD~DOT~Org~DOT~UK
[9a-c] – Civil Registration Index of Deaths (Richmond, Yorkshire), Transcription, FreeBMD~DOT~Org~DOT~UK
[10a] – Civil Registration Index of Deaths (Teesdale), Transcription, FreeBMD~DOT~Org~DOT~UK

For the URL replace ~DOT~ with a “.”
CLARK - Bridge End, Startforth, North Riding, Yorkshire & Barnard Castle, Durham

Offline kevinf2349

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 03 September 12 03:29 BST (UK) »
Here you go.

The first is the County Bridge. This is still used today and is single file traffic only controlled by a three way traffic light system.

The second is the back of the White Lion pub.

Kevin
Ferguson, Stockton-on-Tees
Hollinshead, Stafford/Guisborough
Pratt, Berwick/Newcastle-upon-Tyne
McDonald, Teesdale
Charlton, Hexham
Carlyle, Hexham/Annan Dumfries

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 03 September 12 11:39 BST (UK) »
You have managed to do a lot with that small clue! I thought that with the Simonetti/Todd reference on the marriage entry that either Mary Anne had been born to a Todd before she married a Simonetti, so that her name was technically Todd but she had been brought up using the name Simonetti, or that she was originally a Simonetti and brought up as a Todd. Takes a lot of digging to find out which.
Sadly no progress on the photo front. I spent a short time this morning blocking up access to the local history section in the library while I looked at "Teesdale in old photographs" and other books with similar titles, but no luck. I did find a photo of a cart being made in Middleton-in-Teesdale, but that was of a joiner rather than a wheelwright.
Northumberland: Little, Hogg, Tyers, Reid
Durham: Todd, Lee,
Cumbria: Ross, Ivison, Tyers
Yorkshire North Riding: Pybus, Alderson, Rutherford, Mudd, Wilson
Sussex: Selmes, Ashdown, Freelove, Mitchell

Offline ChicoChico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 06 September 12 02:49 BST (UK) »
Kevin – These photos are great! I like the overcast sky in the photo of the bridge – it adds a lot of character to the shot. The other photo gives a good sense of what the riverbank is like. Thanks for sharing them!

Geordie – Thanks for the extra time you spent searching the library for historical photos, I appreciate that very much. I continue with the research – I have done some additional “googles” on Joseph Simonetti, and have found some intriguing new information – i.e., one Giuseppe Simoneti, who married a Mary Dale in 28 Jul 1799 at Saint Mary Castlegate,York,England – I believe they may be my 4th great grandparents. I have also found several  family tree websites listing these two and they all seem to be referencing each other as the source of the family tree. So I am not yet fully convinced, as I have not yet found independent documentation to make a conclusive determination – so I will continue to search.  Thanks again for all of your help (and that extends to everyone who responded with information or ideas) – I really appreciate it!

Chico -

Offline barnard castle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I live only 20 yards from Bridge End Startforth. The pub was called the White Swan If you google street maps for uk postcode DL12 9DU you can have a look along the road/river and look up at the front of the castle with the river below from there. I have just launched a free online history walk of the town that comes along BridgeEnd with over 300 old photos, teaser at https://youtu.be/RMQR4y_hBUo . You can go through it at home or skip to section 3 that takes you past BridgeEnd to the mill that used to be there. The starter history walk link is on the tourism site I put together www.barnardcastle.org.uk (468k views) which shows photos of the town now including the bridge
For example, the Lord of Alnwick while on horseback attacking the castle with the king of Scotland got shot through the head with a crossbow bolt here. Most kings of England have gone over the county bridge (The attached pic is a visit by King Edward VII, was photographed on the bridge coming back from a shooting party.) and Richard III spent a lot of time here. The bridge used to be a toll bridge and was where illegal weddings took place. There was a murder on the bridge in the 19th C and the victims name is inscribed in the stone. Somebody from BC was involved in the killing of the princes. Here is a video I did with my sister in Law at Bridge End     https://youtu.be/vsz8wSvR2II years ago and the house is currently up for sale so you can see pics of inside..    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/114384488#/?channel=RES_BUY
Just 20 yards away is where there was a big national story during covid where our PM's chief advisor Dominic Cummings had a day out here during our strict lockdown (said it was to test his eyes). Geoff

Offline jacqlineue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thomasina Garbutt (gt gran) and me aged 7 days
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 21 July 22 10:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,  I have Clark and Garbutt with a little Smith in my tree.  My grandmother was Garbutt and married a Clark.  His middle name was Smith.  His mother was a Smith.  I noticed you have all of these names in your list.

My families are from Ashington, Blyth, Gateshead, Bedlington etc.  All Northumberland and Durham areas.

Hope you find what you are looking for

Jac
Garbutt Ashington Northumberland,
 Simpson SouthShields,
Clark Northumberland,
Dargue South Shields, 
Atkinson South Shields,
Ellis Tynemouth and Liverpool,
Sadler tynemouth,
Leathley, Routhledge,Forrest.
Herfy Germany,USA and London
Chester London and USA
Hopkins London
Hales London

Offline barnard castle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 21 July 22 11:01 BST (UK) »
white swan and bridge end as viewed from the castle. The house to the right of the bridge is no longer there and the next right in now a two storey cottage.