Author Topic: Essex Newspaper Look Up Needed!  (Read 1840 times)

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Large Family circa 1906
    • View Profile
Essex Newspaper Look Up Needed!
« on: Tuesday 28 August 12 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I am wondering if anyone may be able to look up some details for me in the local newspapers covering the Halstead area?

My great grandmother's first husband Charles Frederick Patmore - mostly known as Frederick was in the Essex Regiment between 26th Nov 1901 and 17th Nov 1904 when he was discharged due to a felony conviction. I would like to know whether anything was printed in the paper about this felony to find out a little more about it. I would imagine it took place a short time prior to his discharge date to narrow the time frame down a bit.

He lived at Tidings Hill, Halstead - the address given on the back of his Militia papers.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards

Alex
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Marshall: Leeds/Silkstone/Ashton/Hyde. Griffiths: Llanrhaeder ym Mochnant/Glyn Ceiriog/Ashton. Pilley: Chelmsford/Maldon. Hallas: Ashton/Stalybridge. Large: Tarvin/Manchester/Mossley. McDonald: Ireland/Whitfield/Mossley.

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Essex Newspaper Look Up Needed!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

I would love to look this up for you but the Colchester Library which  I use and has the papers is currently out of electrical power in their records dept They have  moved a fiche reader and one paper reader into the foyer but it is really not that great
 If you are still looking when they get their electrics sorted I will without fail look into it for you

Ronnie

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 20:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ronnie

Yes I do still want the look up doing so whenever you can is great and very much appreciated!

Alex
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Marshall: Leeds/Silkstone/Ashton/Hyde. Griffiths: Llanrhaeder ym Mochnant/Glyn Ceiriog/Ashton. Pilley: Chelmsford/Maldon. Hallas: Ashton/Stalybridge. Large: Tarvin/Manchester/Mossley. McDonald: Ireland/Whitfield/Mossley.

Offline purplefrankie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 September 12 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 I don't know if this is relevant but there was an article published in the Chelmsford Chronicle 11 November, 1904 regarding a Frederick Patmore but he was described as a labourer, no fixed abode.  He stole a gold ring, a gold chain, a card case, antimacassars and other articles value £2 on the 28th October.  He had two previous convictions for felony at Chelmsford and was sentenced to two months hard labour.  The article gives the name and address of the victim in Brentwood.

Kay

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 September 12 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Kay

I would be very much interested in those details if you wouldn't mine sending them to me?

Thanks so much!

Alex

Offline purplefrankie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 September 12 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Alex,

Have just sent a PM.

Kay