Author Topic: Ernest Brunning at Westerfield  (Read 915 times)

Offline NormanE

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ernest Brunning at Westerfield
« on: Tuesday 28 August 12 17:19 BST (UK) »
Please could anyone help with a complete transcription of the Christening Record for Ernest Brunning. I believe the christening took place at St Mary's Westerfield in 1891
Thank You
Norman E

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Ernest Brunning at Westerfield
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

The only birth on freebmd for that name around 1891 was in Essex in 1890 - Ernest John Brunning

There is no birth in Suffolk around that time
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 23:15 BST (UK) »
Nor does such a person appear on the census.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 23:23 BST (UK) »
There was an Ernest Brunning in Westerfield in 1891 but he was aged 9 making him bc.1881/2:

Ernest James Brunning b.31/1/1882, bp.3/9/1883 Westerfield St. Mary, son of Harriet Brunning of Witnesham (no father).

Annette   

London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline NormanE

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 August 12 04:54 BST (UK) »
Annette Thank you for your reply, a very good one too. What I have now is the birth of a Ernest James Brunning to Harriet Brunning Feb 1882 in  Holborn London Workhouse, and now your record for the 1883 Baptism at Westerfield. A Harrriet Brunning born 1864 was the daughter of Jeremiah Brunning at Witnesham and this is where we find an 9 year old grandson in the 1891 census. I think thanks to you I can say BINGO. Harriet had another child, Elsie, in 1890 and remained unmarried until her death in 1953 at Willesden. I have an Ernest James Brunning of the right age who married in 1914 at Ulgham Northumberland who is probably this Ernest, the only doubt is the wedding document which gives a father as George William Brunning. Family Folklore does say Ernest was Illegitimate and came from London. Again thank you for your help Regards Norman Elkins

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 August 12 11:37 BST (UK) »
It certainly all seems to fit, doesn't it.    As to the named father George William - many people who were illegitimate would 'invent' the name of a father when they married, especially so when they were marrying in a different area from where they were born or brought up.   With no family around who would question it.

I can't seem to find Ernest in 1901/1911 - he isn't the one shown born 1882 Ipswich who was another plain Ernest.

Annette

London -  Monk

Offline Brunning

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 November 23 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Norman, I know this thread is old now, but I live in Northumberland and recently saw an MOD headstone in the CWG area of a Morpeth church, for George A Brunning, a cpl in the RAF who died in a motorcycle accident in 1954.  Although I am not a local lad, all the family roots are back in Suffolk, but I decided to research this young lad's history.  His father was Ernest J Brunning, Harriet's illegitimate son and the person you were looking for. I also got Jeremiah and Elizabeth Hunt as his grandparents, preceded by Thomas Brunning (1778-1848) = Mary Mann (1788-1866), preceded by Leonard T Brunning (1759-1848) = Elizabeth Hammond (1762-1820), preceded by Edward Meadows Brunning (1739-1812)=Sarah Collins. Ernest James married Mary I Youll and they had 6 children, including George who died in the accident aged 23 years. George was married to a girl in Bath and they had 2 girls who were only 3 and 1 when he died.  If you would like any further information please get in touch.
Regards
Roger Brunning
Brunning (Suffolk/Liverpool)
Francis (Liverpool)
Parton (Shropshire/Liverpool)
Dakers/Jolly/Christie/Bain/Rickart/Brake/Gordon (Angus, Scotland)
Rowlands/Owen/Hughes/Evans (North wales/Anglesey)
Rowlands/Smith (Glamorgan/London)