Author Topic: Livery Stables, The Banks Rochester  (Read 1952 times)

Offline Blubell17

• RootsChat Member
  • Alfred Springett 1879-1955 & Great Uncle Richard
    • View Profile
Livery Stables, The Banks Rochester
« on: Wednesday 29 August 12 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Does anyone know where the  Livery Stables of the Banks were in Rochester Kent, my 2 x Great Grandfather John Richard Springett was working as a coachman there when he died in 1901 aged 82.

Thank you
Dee :)
Springett - Kent & Birmingham. Bailey - Eastington & Frocester Gloucester, Gregory - Frocester & Eastington Gloucester, Hall - Lichfield, Staffordshire & Birmingham, Grindley - Shropshire & Birmingham, Pinnegar - Kingstanley & Leonard Stanley, Gloucester, Watkins - Eastington, Gloucester, Wilkins - Leonard Stanley, Gloucester, Lane-Birmingham, Underwood-Birmingham, Selwood-Gloucester, Martin-Staffordshire, Henshaw/Staffordshire/Birmingham, Boyman-Kent, Bicknell-Yorks/Birmingham, Betts-Birmingham

Offline scintilla

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Livery Stables, The Banks Rochester
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 August 12 11:15 BST (UK) »
The Banks form part of the road between Rochester and Chatham and the road is called the High Street on either side of the town boundary. The 1903 Kelly's Directory for Kent (www.historicaldirectories.org) list only 2 livery stable keepers in the area - R. Lloyd, 89 High Street, Rochester & Thomas William Woolley, Mitre Yard, High Street, Chatham. It could be either of those, or of course somewhere else completely, not listed in Kelly's. I checked my 1906 OS map of Chatham & Rochester but livery stables do not appear to be one of the things recorded on the map.
Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Offline Blubell17

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 September 12 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your response. I'm not familiar with the area, so had no idea where to start. So i'll look into the two stables you mentioned, and see if I can also find any other likely stables no I roughly know where The Banks were.

Would you think that these cabmen were licensed, & if so would anywhere still hold the records?

Thanks one again :)
Springett - Kent & Birmingham. Bailey - Eastington & Frocester Gloucester, Gregory - Frocester & Eastington Gloucester, Hall - Lichfield, Staffordshire & Birmingham, Grindley - Shropshire & Birmingham, Pinnegar - Kingstanley & Leonard Stanley, Gloucester, Watkins - Eastington, Gloucester, Wilkins - Leonard Stanley, Gloucester, Lane-Birmingham, Underwood-Birmingham, Selwood-Gloucester, Martin-Staffordshire, Henshaw/Staffordshire/Birmingham, Boyman-Kent, Bicknell-Yorks/Birmingham, Betts-Birmingham

Offline scintilla

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 September 12 18:17 BST (UK) »
Just to be more precise - if you were travelling from Rochester to Chatham, The Banks would be on your right hand side (the River Medway on your left), as the name suggests they are on an elevated level above the High Street.

Sorry, I don't know if there would be any licensing. If there were any records they would be at Medway Archives http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/

Offline Blubell17

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 September 12 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks for the clarification. I'll also send an email to the Medway Archives.
Thanks again
Dee