Author Topic: William Wynne Williams born in Trawsfynydd circa 1854  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Nigel Porter

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Wynne Williams born in Trawsfynydd circa 1854
« on: Wednesday 29 August 12 18:54 BST (UK) »
Hello,

According to various censuses William Wynne Williams was born in Trawsfynydd circa 1854 i.e. 7 in 1861, 17 in 1871, but an American descendant has a precise birth date in her records of July 13th 1852 in Dolgelleau.  Does anyone have access to the Trawsfynydd records to check the 1853/54 date please?  His parents were George Williams (Mining Captain) and Elizabeth Williams nee Edwards.

Thanks
Porter - Heckington/Boston - Lincs
Asher - Lincs
Otter - Lincs
Wright - Heckington
Giddings - Tydd St Mary
Williams - Merionethshire/Anglesey
Rose - East London
Stevens - East London
Grimwood - East London

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Wynne Williams born in Trawsfynydd circa 1854
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 August 12 19:00 BST (UK) »
Maybe she bought the birth certificate.
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 August 12 21:33 BST (UK) »
a child born on that date should show as 8 in 1861 & 18 in 1871. Both census entries show him as born Trawsfynydd & the 1871 he is in Dolgellau, so I would have doubts about her info. Perhaps it's from old IGI submitted info. IGI baptisms for Trawsfynydd only go up to 1837 apart from the Scotch Baptists

http://www.archersoftware.co.uk/igi/fs-mer.htm

Have you tried contacting the local registrars to ask for a birth certificate? You have place and parents' names to help

http://www.gwynedd.gov.uk/gwy_doc.asp?cat=6726&doc=24310&language=1&p=1&c=1

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 August 12 12:22 BST (UK) »
There is a tree on Ancestry which gives Williams parents as George Williams and Ellin Evans. George and Elizabeth Edwards are shown as grandparents.

I can't find a definite birth on any index. There are some of his brothers' marriages on Findmypast, including images from the register, but not one for William, which would have confirmed his age.

According to the tree, it was 28th October in Llandudno. This is on North Wales BMD index http://www.northwalesbmd.org.uk which states that it was a civil marriage at Conwy, which is why it is not on FindMyPast.

The certificate might help with his age but his birth might be hard to find because Wynne is not included in any of the names on the index.

David

Offline Nigel Porter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.  William Wynne Williams is one of my Great Grandfathers 8 siblings and I had not done too much research on him, hence the lack of detail re his birth.  I am gradually getting the relevant certs, but they were so fertile in Victorian times that I need to win the lottery before I can order all I need.

I have been contacted by the Great Grandaughter of William who is in America, hence the recent interest and her information comes from his naturalization papers and other documents, but it does not fit with the information I had, or the census entries.

I will order the relevant birth certificate to put my mind at rest, but this is not the first time I've come across a discrepancy between dates given by emigrants to America.

Nigel 
Porter - Heckington/Boston - Lincs
Asher - Lincs
Otter - Lincs
Wright - Heckington
Giddings - Tydd St Mary
Williams - Merionethshire/Anglesey
Rose - East London
Stevens - East London
Grimwood - East London