Author Topic: Francis Family Mersham/Smeeth  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Huron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Francis Family Mersham/Smeeth
« on: Wednesday 29 August 12 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I hope someone can possibly help.

I've traced my family back to a Leonard Francis who married Elizabeth Draper in Mersham in 1681, via their son Richard born 1682.

Records on Familysearch for Mersham seem pretty patchy and I've had no luck finding out when or where Leonard was born. I suspect he's related to a Leonard Francis of Mersham, born abt 1600, who married Joan Gilbert in 1629 at Holy Cross Canterbury. Leonard and Joan appear to have moved to Brabourne and Smeeth where they had at least three children, Edward, Mary and Elizabeth between 1630-36.

It seems likely there would be a generation in-between, though it's not impossible the two Leonards could be father and son.

It seems most likely the Leonard I'm sure about was born in Smeeth or Mersham, though surrounding areas could be possible.

Any help very gratefully received!

All the best,

Alex Francis

Offline BettyofKent

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Family Mersham/Smeeth
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 September 12 17:30 BST (UK) »
There's this baptism, in Smeeth: Should be Mersham.

1633? 21st Sept.  Lenard,  son of Richard & An FRANCIS

Not sure if that's helpful or not ;D

Betty
KENT:
Stutely - Wittersham & Stone
Padgham - Wittersham
Wanstall - Northbourne
Taylor - Ringwould & Ash
Skinner - Deal
Bushell - Walmer
Spain - Walmer
Also
Schloss - Poland, Nottingham, Massachusetts & New Zealand.
Cohen - Birmingham

"Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov."

Offline Huron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 September 12 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Betty,

Thank you very much for that. It's a possibility, that's for sure.

There was a Richard Francis assessed for Hearth Tax in 1664 in Mersham, who had a daughter Mary, and son Thomas there in 1663 and 1665 with his wife Ann Stremie. That would be a long gap between children, though, and would make Leonard 48 when he married Elizabeth Draper. There were Richards buried in Mersham in 1684 and 1711.

I see you have a question mark beside 1633. Could that date be later? I don't suppose you are able to find a marriage record for Richard and An Francis?

Offline BettyofKent

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 September 12 22:27 BST (UK) »
Correction - that Lenard baptism was in Mersham, NOT Smeeth, sorry :-[
1633? is how the date has been transcribed, possibly hard to read on the original.
There is also this one:
1633?  3rd April,  Frances, dau of Richard & Ann FRANCES

Three marriages for male FRANCIS in Mersham:
Leonard in 1681/2, Thomas in 1754, James in 1810.
(5 for female FRANCIS)

Betty
KENT:
Stutely - Wittersham & Stone
Padgham - Wittersham
Wanstall - Northbourne
Taylor - Ringwould & Ash
Skinner - Deal
Bushell - Walmer
Spain - Walmer
Also
Schloss - Poland, Nottingham, Massachusetts & New Zealand.
Cohen - Birmingham

"Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov."

Offline Huron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Betty,

Thanks again for the information. Think it's pretty clear that 1633 isn't correct, or at least would be odd to baptise two children five months apart. Either that or there were two Richard and Ann Francis couples having children in Mersham in 1633 and a third couple of the same name having children in the 1660s there. Of course without access to the original parish records no way of knowing for sure. The Leonard who married Joan Draper named his son Richard, and it would certainly make sense if that was his father's name.

Ideally, would love to find a marriage record for Richard Francis and Ann, and see if there's more than one record in that area or if the 1633 dates should really be in the 1660s. And in particular, would love to find a birth record for Richard. Probably in that surrounding area.

Offline RTF199

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 January 23 20:52 GMT (UK) »
My name is Robert Thomas Francis and Leonard Francis Abt 1599-1675 is my 10th Great Grandfather. He was married to Joane Gilbert 1599-? For those interested, I have taken the BigY-700 test and also on Y-Full the international Y-DNA data base.

Offline Huron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 January 23 21:38 GMT (UK) »
This is a pleasant surprise to get a reply after all these years. My sister has been digging on the DNA side of things so I've passed on your message to see if she can see if we're related. I'm curious to know how you traced your family back to Leonard Francis born abt 1599 as the Parish records have a lot of gaps around there, or at least they did last time I looked which was several years ago. Are any of the names I mentioned in your tree as well?

Offline RTF199

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 January 23 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I have a Richard 1630-1684 and Ann Munn 1630 1709. I have DNA surname matches to Munn but not Stramie. Leonard and Elizabeth Draper are my 8th GGrandparents, Richard and Elizabeth Vincent are my 7th GGrandparents, Thomas Francis and Leah Kelley are 6th, William Henry Francis and Ester Knapp are 5th, William Francis and Sarah (Sally) Bowen are 4th, Alfred Francis and Eliza Garrision are 3rd, Judson Mack Francis and Emily Sewell 2nd and William Lorenzo Francis and Ella May Cook. Hope this helps Contact me on Ancestry I have almost 18K in my tree. Bob

Offline Huron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 January 23 10:33 GMT (UK) »
That's great info, looks like we're descended from different children of Richard and Elizabeth. I'm not on Ancestry but my sisters are so hopefully they can find your tree and contact you on there. I felt pretty confident that Leonard and Joanne would be relatives, but just couldn't confirm it. Feeling very happy to finally have a way to break that logjam.