Author Topic: Charles France - missing marriage  (Read 5512 times)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles France - missing marriage
« Reply #18 on: Friday 31 August 12 19:29 BST (UK) »
Well Barbara,the same Charles Herbert Wild according to the National Probate Calendar in 1918 left Probate etc to the said "servant".

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 31 August 12 20:31 BST (UK) »
I'm sure Luzzu knows I can be relied on to lower the tone!  ;D ;D

LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lyn22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 31 August 12 23:56 BST (UK) »
Well I hope the Mistress Servant was left lots of  money  8)
Peter Burke father Dominick Burke wife Bridget Bagley son James Burke wife Lucy Dyke County Mayo Coventry England Australia . Grant ,Snell,Diggins , Burton, James Frederick Elmore /Elmer , Alfred James Bailey , Julia Elmore , Pierson

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 01 September 12 01:00 BST (UK) »
Well it says Charles Herbert left effects worth £106 and eight pence.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 01 September 12 14:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Barbara and William.  Nothing like a hint of a scandal to liven things up a bit.  Can't quite get my head around it but if its the same lady she put her former husband's name as her father at her marriage to Charles France  ???.

Seems like Charles Herbert was being very honest on the 1911 census writing "mistress" and then had second thoughts and crossed it out.  Its a good job tippex hadn't been invented otherwise we would never have known.

Not sure how to progress this further.  I am not sure if ordering the Charles Herbert Wild/Rose Ann Williams marriage certificate would prove anything.  There is less than 7 years between the two marriages so it could be bigamy  ???

Luzzu :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 01 September 12 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie,

You are right France in Yorkshire isn't an easy name to research and when you couple it with Haigh  :o. I think think half of Yorkshire have these names in their family.

Amos does feature a lot in the family.  I think it came from Thomas France's maternal grandfather who was Amos Armitage.  Abel is another family name.

I think I applied to the Greater Manchester County Records Office for the photographs.  They were of Charles Buckley France not his son, Charles.  I think there was one of his daughter, Jessie, as well from memory.

Charles Buckley France was buried at Southern Cemetery.  In the same grave is his mother, Ann France nee Buckley (his father Thomas was buried at Chorlton Row Dissenters Cemetery with his mother and a couple of his brothers).  Also in the grave are Charles Buckley's France's two wives, Ann and Sophia (both had the maiden name Taylor but were not related) and three of Charles Buckley France's daughters.

Do you want to PM your email address  ;)

Luzzu

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 02 September 12 18:14 BST (UK) »
Not sure how to progress this further.  I am not sure if ordering the Charles Herbert Wild/Rose Ann Williams marriage certificate would prove anything.  There is less than 7 years between the two marriages so it could be bigamy  ???

It might be useful to compare the bride's signatures, but of course an expensive option for what is still a bit tentative connection.
Julie, I suppose you've tried looking for a Charles Herbert Wild that had a daughter Edna/Rose/Ann - or maybe just a daughter! - in Sheffield?

The Rose Ann Wild that Pels found in Wakefield, there is a baptism on Ancestry's Yorkshire Non-Conformist records. Rose Ann Wild, Bap. 26 April 1880 age 9 weeks, her parents were Adam and Jane Wild of Carr Gate, Wakefield.

:) Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 03 September 12 14:09 BST (UK) »
Knowing my luck she will have "made her mark" and not signed.  Julie will know though as she has the 1906 certificate.

The Wakefield birth and baptism seems more unlikely now given this latest find.  I remember Pels said he/she wasn't entirely convinced at the time.  The 1911 census does say Rose Ann was born in Sheffield not Wakefield and Julie was also told that her dad's gran was from Sheffield.

There was a Rose Ann Williams registered in Sheffield 4th qtr 1879 that might be right  ???

Luzzu  :)

Offline jfrance

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

No signature on the marriage entry as register office. Here are the details

7 march 1906

Charles France aged 27, bachelor working as 'carter' living at Platt Hall, Rusholme, father Charles Buckley France/ corporation labourer

Edna Rose Wild aged 26, living 316 Dickenson Road, Rusholme, father Charles Herbert Wild/ Mechanical Engineer

Witnessed by Hugh William Jones and Emma Jones

Not sure any of it is much help.