Author Topic: John Webster Bulmer 1891 and 1901  (Read 4633 times)

Offline L.Bulmer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Webster Bulmer 1891 and 1901
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 03 February 13 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tina,

Thank you for the extra info, especially the causes of death.

Since I posted last I have been presented with an enigma regarding my great grandfather, Richard (b. 1875) He seems to just appear in the 1881 census living with John Webster Bulmer (b. 1811) who is your great grandmother's uncle. I have been sent scans of the original 1881 census & at this time, my grandfather lived with with John & an 18 year old Elizabeth Mason (b abt. 1863) both are listed as nephew & niece of John. I assume Elizabeth Mason is a descendant of one of John's sisters as she has a different last name, but is listed as unmarried on the census. Now after that census, Richard drops off the grid until 1897, when he marries my great grandmother, Edith. John died in 1890, when my great grandfather would have been 15, so I wonder if Elizabeth Mason, his cousin, cared for him & moved away with him somewhere else?

Now the enigma for me is, assuming Richard continued to live with John until his death in 1890, where was he between then & when he got married? Now, to further deepen the mystery, after obtaining a scan of Richard's marriage certificate, it lists his father's name as John Bulmer, but it doesn't say he is deceased at that time (does it normally include that info?) Who was John Bulmer? The only relatives in that family line around the time of his birth were the older John Webster Bulmer & your great grandmother's brother, John Webster Bulmer. If this John Bulmer was still alive, why couldn't he care for Richard as a child, why was he sent to live with his uncle/great uncle? I need to get hold of Richard's birth certificate, badly, that may clear up the mystery! How do I go about doing that? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Anyway, thanks again for sharing what you have. Do you use the Bulmer Genealogy website? The owner, Paul Bulmer has helped me so much with scans of all relevant censuses concerning this tree, perhaps I could send you the scans if you don't already have some? If you do want the scans just PM me & I'll be happy to email them to you.

Offline romanby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Webster Bulmer 1891 and 1901
« Reply #19 on: Monday 04 February 13 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lee

Not sure if I can be of further help as you probably have this information

Richard Bulmer born July- Sept 1875 Scarborough BMD 9d347
Richard Bulmer marriage to Edith Timms Bramley Reg District July-Sept 1897 BMD 9b597
Richard Bulmer death Leeds April-June 1939 age 63  BMD 9b411

Richard in 1881 Census nephew age 6 with Elizabeth Mason niece age 18 and John W Bulmer aged 69

There is a Richard in 1891 age 15 occupation coachman  nephew of Francis Hippey living in Leeds but it says born Leeds (this could be an error as all his own children are born Leeds )  Francis' wife Elizabeth was born Filey - could be a coincidence. 

1901 census Richard age 25 is with wife Edith living  in Armley occupation Beer Brewer             1911 census Richard aged 37 occupation Brewer living in Armley and Bramley with wife Edith and Children Dorothy and Florence

Sorry I don't know  if it says father is deceased on a son/daughters marriage cerificate.

I think I have most of the records that I need and yes I have looked at the Bulmer Website 

Birth Certificates are available from GRO at a cost
Best of luck with your research
Regards
Tina