Author Topic: Military Hospital, Clifton Street  (Read 2891 times)

Offline t_creaney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Military Hospital, Clifton Street
« on: Thursday 30 August 12 19:39 BST (UK) »
I have received a death certificate for a death in Belfast 1919. The deceased was a serving soldier and his place of death is given as Military Hospital, Clifton Street

I remember the Benn Hospital which used to be located about where the Westlink slip road now runs. Otherwise could it have been the old poorhouse, perhaps being used temporarily during and just after the war.

Just curious to know where in Clifton Street this military hospital might have been.

tc
Creaney, Craney (Co Armagh)  Moffett (Cookstown & Larne) McCurdy (Co Antrim) Hind (Cumberland & Durham) Simpson (Co Tyrone) Steenson (Carnlough, Co Antrim) Irwin (Cumberland / Scottish Borders)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Military Hospital, Clifton Street
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 August 12 19:50 BST (UK) »
1910 directory for Belfast lists Ulster Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital (at intersection of Glenravel St.) but I'm inclined to think the Soldiers Home (Hanover House, between #38 and 42) is more likely. What are the informant's details?

http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/ccomplete1910_b.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline t_creaney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 August 12 20:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot Aghadowey. I remember the Benn being an ENT, I had my tonsils removed there in the 50s. I wasn't aware of the Soldiers Home though Hanover House rings a bell. I think you are right about it.

Here is the informants details.

tc
Creaney, Craney (Co Armagh)  Moffett (Cookstown & Larne) McCurdy (Co Antrim) Hind (Cumberland & Durham) Simpson (Co Tyrone) Steenson (Carnlough, Co Antrim) Irwin (Cumberland / Scottish Borders)

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 August 12 06:21 BST (UK) »
The Soldiers Home is the Sandes Home opposite Victoria Barracks. Have a look at this link, start about page 17 (photo of the children) then onto the story about Sandes - there's a couple of marvellous photos as well as the narrative (the pages might take a wee while to load):

http://issuu.com/glenravel/docs/oldbelfast_no3_

Added: There's no mention of hospital facilities in this Home and it would be tempting to surmise that there may have been hospital facilities in Victoria Barracks opposite, accessed via the Clifton street entrance (rather than the main Henry Street entrance), however, surely the reference on the death certificate would have included 'Victoria Barracks' in that case?

Offline t_creaney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 August 12 08:21 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Gaffy, that's very helpful.

Cheers

tc

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 September 12 07:12 BST (UK) »

There are several more references on the internet to the existence of a military Hospital in Victoria Barracks, for example, take this link (then edit/find 'Victoria Barracks') and you'll see a 1916 reference to a soldier being rushed there:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~econnolly/lsextracts/ls19161200.html

Case not proven, but I'm definitely warming to the possibility that the death certificate reference may have meant the Victoria Barracks military hospital.

Offline t_creaney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 September 12 07:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Gaffy. I agree Victoria Barracks is a strong possibility, though the only entrance on the Clifton Street side was if I remember rightly at the end of Glenravel Street, so it seems strange that Clifton Street would be stated as the address. The main  entrance was directly onto North Queen Street.

Not a big issue, just a point of curiosity so I will keep an open mind for now. But thanks for your help & pointers.

tc