Author Topic: New Road, Durham  (Read 1616 times)

Offline mim

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: New Road, Durham
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 01 September 12 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I think Stan has identified the correct couple in Brandon in 1841 which means that the couple in New North Road in 1851

are not the same couple. (That William Mowbray, a master tailor, married Ann Harrison in 1844).

William and Susannah Mowbray (listed as Mowbry) are at Chester-le-Street with their family in 1851. (HO107 2394 172 23).

mim
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Carolynxyz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New Road, Durham
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 September 12 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Mim,
Yes, you are absolutely right.  After they married in Durham in 1843, they moved around a bit in the Brancepeth area (Little White, Burnigill, Sunderland Bridge) before they finally settled down in Chester-le-Street.  Susannah was originally from Westernhopeburn in Weardale and William says he was born in Plawsworth, though I can't find his baptism.  It took me a long time to find Susannah's too, because she was illegitimate, but I was lucky because her father, John Walton, accepted paternity upon her baptism and eventually married her mother.  William and Susannah are the ones in West Brandon in 1841.  Poor William died after having been run over at a level crossing, and the gatekeeper was found to have been negligent, though not guilty of manslaughter, and apparently new legislation was brought in to prevent this happening again.  There is an excellent, detailed account of the inquest in the British Library Newspaper database, which I think is an outstanding resource.
Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to respond,
Carolyn