Author Topic: Patrick Joseph Creaney born 17/04/1911  (Read 5264 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Joseph Creaney born 17/04/1911
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 August 19 16:54 BST (UK) »

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 August 19 17:40 BST (UK) »

This Search on   https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

will get any BDM Registrations for them in Lurgan DISTRICT  up to 1922

From the results one can select Births or whatever  and even narrow by Decades

https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/civil-records/help/what-civil-records-are-on-line   explains.

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 August 19 17:44 BST (UK) »
Some people are wary using the Irish Government Civil Reg site for first time, as there are 3 stages to it, as follows..............

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline PGC1962

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Joseph Creaney (Murphy) born 17/04/1911
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 December 20 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello all & thanks for the ideas & suggestions.
Just to update, I finally found my father's birth record after speaking to one of the older family members in Ireland.  They confirmed he was adopted & gave me his original surname.  They did have a document with the info on but that was lost years ago.
Anyway, he was born Patrick Joseph Murphy 17-04-1911, mother Catherine Murphy (supposedly) of Glenbrook Ave, Belfast.  But there is no Catherine Murphy recorded on 1911 census at Glenbrook Ave.  So still a lot of investigating to do.
Patrick Creaney born 1911 - possibly Aghagallon (father).
John Anthony Brankin born 1887 Armagh (grandfather - mum's side).
Mary Anne (Minnie) Cullinan born 1894 Armagh (grandmother - mum's side).

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Joseph Creaney (Murphy) born 17/04/1911
« Reply #13 on: Monday 28 December 20 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello all & thanks for the ideas & suggestions.
Just to update, I finally found my father's birth record after speaking to one of the older family members in Ireland.  They confirmed he was adopted & gave me his original surname.  They did have a document with the info on but that was lost years ago.
Anyway, he was born Patrick Joseph Murphy 17-04-1911, mother Catherine Murphy (supposedly) of Glenbrook Ave, Belfast.  But there is no Catherine Murphy recorded on 1911 census at Glenbrook Ave.  So still a lot of investigating to do.

Did you not find that back in 2015....or had you waited a while to follow through? Just a bit confused, as folks have given of their time to help you this week, yet it seems you had the info you needed previously:
** note added, just realised that this is also an old thread which was  bumped in 2019 by another rootschat member, NIWM, and that those contributing in 2019, may not have noticed the thread start date of 2012, and to add to my confusion, PGC1962 bumped it again today, so I had initially thought it was a current thread.

So, it looks like this other old thread is where PGC1962 received the help needed back in 2015 to discover the record posted by them today:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=711924.9

PGC1962, assuming you are re-visiting your research on this family, given you posted on this old thread today, has anyone since 2015, been able to provide further clues re Catherine at all that you may have forgotten to mention? 'Joseph' does not appear as a middle name on the birth entry, could he have been given it at baptism? Have you considered going down the DNA route to see if that throws up any Murphy maches?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline PGC1962

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 28 December 20 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Sorry.
I took a break from researching for quite a while.  Today was the first time in a few years that I've logged on to Roots Chat & spotted that a few people had posted to this thread last year.
Hence I thought it might be a good idea to post what I had found to let posters know, plus possibly be useful to anyone else searching.
Patrick Creaney born 1911 - possibly Aghagallon (father).
John Anthony Brankin born 1887 Armagh (grandfather - mum's side).
Mary Anne (Minnie) Cullinan born 1894 Armagh (grandmother - mum's side).

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 28 December 20 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I eventually noticed the various years and updated my comments accordingly. Just as a helpful suggestion, if folks are adding to a very old original post years later, they might consider starting with, in bold,  something along the lines of "Re-visiting this old thread as have recently picked up research again or, if person bumping thread is no original starter, "spotted this old thread and wanted to add a question to it that may or may not be connected to the person being discussed....". This would help make it clear.

Anyhow, welcome back and yes, always helpful to have updates that might aid future researchers too. So, no other clues at all re Catherine? In case you missed seeing in my previous post, have you given consideration to using DNA as a tool to help possibly discover Murphy matches that might lead back to her? Have you looked at 'Catherine Murphy' marriages in the area after 1911 to see if by chance any have the Glenbrook address? Mind you, as the birth certificate states she was a Housekeeper, she may have only been working in and not from Belfast, and of course, may not even have gone on to marry at any time, or could already have been married and widowed. So many possibilities, hence why DNA might prove helpful.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 28 December 20 11:15 GMT (UK) »
1910 and 1912 Belfast directories show William Magee at 1118 Glenbrook St.Ave. but neither of Patrick's parents are in the household for the census.

There is, however, a Catherine Murphy not far away at 31 Altcar Street-
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Pottinger__part_of_/Altcar_Street/218717/
Sadly, mother Catherine Burns, born in Scotland, had 12 children with only 3 living by 1911 (Catherine, her brother Thomas & one other sibling).

There might be other possibilites.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 28 December 20 11:24 GMT (UK) »
1910 and 1912 Belfast directories show William Magee at 11 Glenbrook St. but neither of Patrick's parents are in the household for the census.

Am I having a totally off day and missing something else I should have noticed - who was William Magee (other than he lived at 11 Glenbrook Street) and is address under consideration not 18 Glenbrook Avenue (which also did not have a Catherine Murphy listed there in 1911) rather than 11 Glenbrook Street ?  :D