Author Topic: Broxburn West United Free Church, photos?  (Read 2570 times)

Offline bonjedward

• RootsChat Member
  • "It's comin' yet for a' that ... 24 MB at 1.3 Kb/s
    • View Profile
Broxburn West United Free Church, photos?
« on: Saturday 01 September 12 15:59 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if anyone knows of the existence of photographs of elders of the Broxburn West United Free Church? My GG-grandfather was an elder, and Session Clerk, there until his death in 1914. I have no photos of him, or of his wife (despite her living until 1932). Is there a collection of old photographs in a local archive, or maybe a book on local church history? I'm guessing that local newspapers at that time had few photgraphs.
Researching: Towers family of Paisley; Argyll: Carmichael, McQueen; W. Lothian: Aitken, Smeal, Cunningham, Brash, Easton; Stirlingshire: Bruce, Henderson, Galloway;  Midlothian: Gillis, Philp, Turner; Ayrshire: Robertson, McMurren (also County Down), Bone, Eaglesham, Scoffield, Frew, McLatchie;  Moray: Rennie, Stronach;   Donegal, Derry: Douglas, Wray, Steen;  Bermuda: Outerbridge, Seon

Offline Canisp

• RootsChat Member
  • Annie Ellis Turnbull (nee Walker) 1898-2010
    • View Profile
Re: Broxburn West United Free Church, photos?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 September 12 19:04 BST (UK) »
Paterson (Edinburgh before1840), Smith (Cambusnethan before 1861), Johnstone (Peeblesshire before 1800), Brown (Carnwath before 1825)
Turnbull, Hume, Whitecross, Aitchison (all East Lothian)
Walker (Bathgate before 1850), Lawson (Edinburgh before 1868), Ellis (Biggar, Cambusnethan and West Calder), Jamieson (Biggar before 1800), Cree (Biggar before 1800)
McConnell (Kirkcudbrightshire before 1854)

Offline bonjedward

• RootsChat Member
  • "It's comin' yet for a' that ... 24 MB at 1.3 Kb/s
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 21:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks, there are some wonderful photos there.
Researching: Towers family of Paisley; Argyll: Carmichael, McQueen; W. Lothian: Aitken, Smeal, Cunningham, Brash, Easton; Stirlingshire: Bruce, Henderson, Galloway;  Midlothian: Gillis, Philp, Turner; Ayrshire: Robertson, McMurren (also County Down), Bone, Eaglesham, Scoffield, Frew, McLatchie;  Moray: Rennie, Stronach;   Donegal, Derry: Douglas, Wray, Steen;  Bermuda: Outerbridge, Seon

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 September 12 23:10 BST (UK) »
More old pictures here of the Town and Gala Days of the past
I'm sure someone on this site may be able to help if you drop
them a line.

http://www.uphall.org/pictures/index.php

James.

Offline sue smith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Elizabeth Milward b 1884
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 September 12 09:02 BST (UK) »
Possible the church itself or the UFCoS may have archives?

http://www.ufcos.org.uk/direct3a.htm

http://www.westlothian.gov.uk/sitecontent/organisations/beliefs-faith/churches/stnicholasunited

Or you could try the National Library of Scotland.
Archer, Walker, Armstrong, King, Watson, Hoodless, Milward, Gate.

Please note that any information supplied to lookup requests is for the purpose of private study and research only, and may not be used for commercial purposes.  All Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk