Author Topic: henry charles smith or charles henry smith  (Read 7065 times)

Offline ann1939

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
henry charles smith or charles henry smith
« on: Saturday 01 September 12 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hello  I am Ann nee smith. I have been trying since about 1985 with very little success for the parents and family of the Late Charles Henry Smith cattle dealer of rreading Berks.he was married to Ada Andrews of East Hagbourne 1889 as Henry Charles Smith. for reasons unknown he chose to be Charles Henry Smith coming to Reading Berksshirefollowing his marriage, have done as far back as early 1800s for Ada but still no trace of henry charles or charles. his father on the marriage certificate is Charles. so PLEASE is there someone who can help or knows of this family. from 1889 when he came to Reading I have a full history upto 2012 its the before that date ???????
I will answer you all .
Smith charles Henry or henry charles of East Hagbourne married 1889 age 23 to Ada Andrews

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: henry charles smith or charles henry smith
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 September 12 17:14 BST (UK) »
Is the one in 1891 census where it says born Bristol?? If so theres a Henry C Smith family headed by a widow called Harriet, plus other children, will see if I can find out her husbands name.....

Cat  :)
Dunning/Downing, Osborn/e, Astley -Cheshire/Birmingham/Middlesex
Fanthorpe/Hall/Driffill/Storm - Lincolnshire
Bower/Woodward/Bingham/Pettinger/Shaw - Nottinghamshire
Shaw, Marland - Lancashire
Broph(e)y - Queens County, Ireland
Richards - Neath Swansea
Hunt/Fox - Lincs, Waterfield/Middleton - Staffs
Hart/Harland/Askew/Scales - Yorkshire
Brereton/Vickers - Cheshire
Gleaves/Sandford/Hulse/Hulme - Wolstanton/Audley Staffs
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 September 12 17:18 BST (UK) »
scrap the one with Harriet, her husband was a Richard, will keep looking for other possibilities in Bristol area
Dunning/Downing, Osborn/e, Astley -Cheshire/Birmingham/Middlesex
Fanthorpe/Hall/Driffill/Storm - Lincolnshire
Bower/Woodward/Bingham/Pettinger/Shaw - Nottinghamshire
Shaw, Marland - Lancashire
Broph(e)y - Queens County, Ireland
Richards - Neath Swansea
Hunt/Fox - Lincs, Waterfield/Middleton - Staffs
Hart/Harland/Askew/Scales - Yorkshire
Brereton/Vickers - Cheshire
Gleaves/Sandford/Hulse/Hulme - Wolstanton/Audley Staffs
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 September 12 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Ann
I think that I have found your Charles Smith, son of Charles (and Emma) and have censuses back to 1841 for both father and son and grandparents.

There are 8 censuses to post and a birth reg, so I will send you a PM with them rather than laboriously type it all out. Basically Charles seems to have come from Reading and in 1901 and 1911 added a few years to his age.

Obviously, it will be up to you with other certs and information to prove my census research.
Yours
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 September 12 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,

In the Hagbourne transcripts there is this baptism;

20-3-1868 Ada Andrews d/o Joseph & Elizabeth, gardener EH

also in the marriages;
30-4-1854 Joseph Andrews, 21, bach, lab, s/o Thomas, lab      and
                Elizabeth Mills,   20, s,             d/o Richard -  both of this parish.
wits; Henry Stimson, Eliza Mills, Dorcas Keep   
By Banns.  Richard Meredith, Minister.

Taken from the transcripts as issued by the Oxford Family History Society - with their permission.

Hope these help.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline ann1939

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 September 12 22:40 BST (UK) »
the Ada you have notified me of is my grandmother re East Hagbourne her father Joseph. Ada married Henry charles smith st Andrews church east Hagbourne 1889 so I know I have the right Ada. its just the Henry charles smith on certificate but from that date called himself Charles Henry Smith he was a cattle dealer and never did any other job untill he died 1929.He lived in Gt knollys st reading most  no 41 being a large house. the age marriage certificate was 23 his death he was 69 so I also have differences in his age what year he was born. I am almost sure he didnt know how old he was ?? or was under age when he got married.He is just a complete mystery to me. but I know some one out there must know who he is... thankyou Ann Orwin nee Smith
Smith charles Henry or henry charles of East Hagbourne married 1889 age 23 to Ada Andrews

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 September 12 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Ann,
I seem to have misunderstood your message and spent some time compiling stuff for Charles Henry Smith prior to 1889 back to 1841 which you now say that  you already have.  (PM) Now, you seem to be saying that you want 20th century stuff, or am I misunderstanding again.

The birth registration I sent you and all bar the two later censuses after marriage make his birthdate 1868/9. The only way that you will get any further is to prove with his birth cert that this is the right Charles Henry, son of Charles of Henley and Emma of Middlesex.  Living in Reading and Charles senior being son of John and Elizabeth.  You will also get Charles Henry's  mother's maiden name from the certificate. I suspect that she was a widow when she married Charles senior. 

There are no other Charles or Henrys  of the right age in the registrations.  Just Charles Henry 1868 Reading, birthplace being on all the 8 censuses.

Charles junior's age in 1889 at marriage is about right, depending on when his actual birthday was in comparison to his marriage month date.
He changed his birthdate to 1861/2 in the 1901 and 1911 censuses. Not uncommon and matches the burial date.

So what is it that you actually want help with?

Yours
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline ann1939

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 September 12 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hello.. I think that at times I confuse myself with my Grandfather. the confusion for me is his marriage certificate in that he was Henry Charles Smith and also signed as Henry Charles Smith. his father on certificate is Charles  labourer. the job for Henry Charles is Dealer witnesses to the marriage are from the family of Ada (nee Andrews).and as I know he was a cattle dealer living in Gt Knollys st Reading berkshire were the cattle market was but  I am aware of the ages can differ in the census. I thankyou for pointing me to some possible links.and will have a look at them. but still wonder why he said he was Henry Charles Smith and signed the same.we made a visit to St Andrews churchand the banns is Henry Charles Smith with address East Hagbourne so no wonder I am sometimes confused lols.so prehaps I best forget what he wanted as his name on marriage and just go for Charles Henry Smith Phew!!!

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 September 12 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,
Very often people did/do not use their registered or christened name all the time, although in this instance it seems that it happened only once.
Your grandfather was Charles Henry Smith in everything else.

My own maternal  grandfather was Walter George Saunders but he was George Walter on some things, and plain George on others, and always known as George. There was also a mistake made by the Incumbent of my other, paternal, Grandfather's name on my mother's marriage cert.
My sister also had a middle name added at baptism which is not on her birth registration.

Good luck with the rest of your Smith research.
Vicwinann