Author Topic: Elizabeth Johnson  (Read 8438 times)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Johnson
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 September 12 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

Everybody has access - it is not an annual subscription website but it is pay per view

Searching is free - but you have to buy credits to view any likely entries or download any records

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 September 12 18:28 BST (UK) »
Aaah yes! I remember now Carole. I'll check it now.
Cheers,
Bob
Armstrongs of   Bedfordshire, England & Canonbie ,Scotland

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 September 12 10:52 BST (UK) »
I understand that an Elizabeth Jordan wed on 1st Dec 1821. I wonder if this marriage was to William Johnson? It'd be interesting to know where that took place. Hiopefully in Haddington!
Bob

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 September 12 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Castlebob

FamilySearch has a marriage "Dec 1821" of Elizabeth JORDAN or BALLINGALL to Thomas SHERRIFF, in South Leith Midlothian. Maybe this is the one you are referring to, though there is no day on the FS record, just month/year?

In Scotland especially (but not only), you could also well be looking for the surname spelled as JARDINE.

In reference to the 1841 Census, the children:
Sarah 15
Mary 13
Elizabeth 11
Agnes 8
William 6
James 1

If William & Elizabeth are the parents of all the children, there is a big gap  between William and James - indicating perhaps a child who died.  The first 4 children, if they are the first 4 born  could point to a naming pattern - paticularly for the female line. That is, Elizabeth's mother: Sarah? and William's mother: Mary?

Do you know anything about the religious denomination of the family? Marriage of children, death/burial of William & Elizabeth - a baptism of James could shed a light?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 September 12 11:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ambly,
I'm not sure re religion, but will do some more digging. Thanks for the tip re spelling of surnames - always important to think laterally!
Cheers,
Bob

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 10 September 12 16:12 BST (UK) »
East Lothian Archives kindly ran a check for a birth/baptism & marriage for Elizabeth b1806 (+/-), but to no avail. It seems she slipped the net, or was recorded elsewhere.
Thanks for everyone's help.
Cheers,
Bob

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Castlebob

In trying to think sideways, before I go where you've already been or barking up the wrong tree   - the eldest daughter Sarah, do you know what became of her?   Was William JOHNSON with Elizabeth in the 1851 Census (I can't see her, but I think I can see him, with Sarah who is married)

Cheers
AMBLY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 14:44 BST (UK) »
I haven't gone that deeply, Ambly. This is an mtDNA line I'm following, mother-to-mother etc. Ultimately, I've concentrated on Elizabeth Johnson (nee Jordan). I appreciate the logic in following side-shoots, but time is against me somewhat.
The 1806 (+/- 1) seems solid, but E Lothian Archives have no record of a birth/baptism or marriage for her. Not too much of use seems to be on ScotlandsPeople that may apply, either.
Cheers,
Bob

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hi CastleBob

Sometimes the route travelled to the goal is a winding one! My thoughts for going sideways is to try acertain if in fact Sarah was the daughter of both William & Elizabeth. What if, for example Sarah is the product of a previous marriage of Elizabeth Snr...... And what if that meant Elizabeth and William married years later than you currently beleive with Elizabeth using her first, unlnown married name? 

And also if you were  track one or more of the Scottish born children down, then you might end up establishing if the family in general were non-conformist - because if they were non conformist, then 'regular' parish records and Scotlands people will likely not help much at all. Knowing their religion might help enormously.

Elizabeth was said to be born abt 1806, Haddington  in the 1851 Census ? I can't for the life of me find that record  8)

I'm happy to post who I believe may be Sarah in 1851 onward, for you to peruse and consider.

Cheers
AMBLY