Author Topic: Civil War Confederate Journal  (Read 4863 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Civil War Confederate Journal
« Reply #18 on: Monday 03 September 12 20:58 BST (UK) »
The first modern war. The predecessor of WW1 which has been described by the late eminent English Historian A.J.P.Taylor as "war by timetable" However, in view of the damage the north had done to Confederate railways, communication was badly damaged so it would have been difficult if not impossible to contact the armies in the field.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 23:07 BST (UK) »
I`ve looked at the video packs but there is nothing about C.W societies ,however there is info about the distribution  in the U.K .That could lead to contact with the film makers who will perhaps have been in contact with such societies.
If it is allowed I`ll post them on  here. A moderator will no doubt advise if that`s O.K.
                                                       Viktoria.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 23:32 BST (UK) »
I just typed in "The American Civil War Homepage" and wow! There is a list of publications and all sorts of personal accounts so if your ancestor did get his memoirs printed it will perhaps be listed with the many others. If not I`m sure they would be pleased to have it.
 If this is allowed: http://sunsite.utk.edu/civil-war/warweb.html
 The site is organised and run by a professor, not sure if I can give his name or email address on here. It is an extensive site and when I`ve time I will look at it myself.
Hope this helps.                        Viktoria.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 06 September 12 10:40 BST (UK) »
Just looked at the site, and tried to access a few items of interest to me. Found that I was usually denied access due to items having been moved etc.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline andysouthern

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 07 September 12 01:39 BST (UK) »
Yeah, i'm still looking around for any reputable publishers who are interested in publishing Civil War memoirs. I have it all scanned now, also.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 09 September 12 18:47 BST (UK) »
Yeah, i'm still looking around for any reputable publishers who are interested in publishing Civil War memoirs. I have it all scanned now, also.
Andy I don't know the details, but is self publication a possibility?

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
  • gg-grandfather, founder of Comfort, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 10 September 12 04:14 BST (UK) »
Andy,

You say your ancestor was a person of some prominence in the community and that leads me to suggest that you contact universities in the area to learn whether they have any collections of correspondence or other documents from the period that may have been donated by family members.  A university might be sufficiently interested to provide some assistance in preparing and assembling materials for publication.  My mother's second cousin published a well-regarded book tiltled "Lone Star and Double Eagle".  That book took its form from her translation of the letters to and from three sons of the family of German immigrants who served the Confederacy. 
Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie