Author Topic: Civil War Confederate Journal  (Read 4865 times)

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Civil War Confederate Journal
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 September 12 22:57 BST (UK) »
Margaret Mitchell who wrote "Gone With the Wind" was the daughter of a man who was the chairman of The Civil War Society(Southern States),that is why the book is so accurate.
I`m sure you`ll find something if you go on the internet.

I was rather uneasy when I read the excerpt;I rather thought the slaves were the ones who bore the yoke!
I am presuming the flag written about was "Old Glory" .                                                                Have you any thoughts as to what could     have happened to the hand written original?
Tomorrow I will look to see if there is any listing of C.W Societies on the video packaging of the video programme I mentioned.

Viktoria.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 September 12 23:06 BST (UK) »
I have found references to the Berkshire Bond watermark being used between c.1910 and 1980, a very wide and by no means definitive range  :-\ 

Offline andysouthern

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 September 12 23:18 BST (UK) »
Yes, i'm assuming he was referring to the lowering of Old Glory and the raising of the Confederate Flag (not sure the specific name of it) in his town square. Thanks again, i'll also do some searching on the internet for some places too. I'll continue scanning the pages onto my computer as well, so I can upload them when I do find a place for them.

As for that range, it fit right in. i've actually been able to find alot of articles on the internet about him, as he was an influential part of Independence Missouri (and he was also a close ancestor/relative of President Harry Truman).

He lived until 1920 and there are no traces of any hand written version, so I suppose it could be possible that he wrote this 1910-1920ish as he knew his life was coming to an end and wanting to tell his story and preserve it before his death, but this is, of course, all speculation.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 September 12 23:20 BST (UK) »
I have found references to the Berkshire Bond watermark being used between c.1910 and 1980, a very wide and by no means definitive range  :-\ 

It seems that would fit, that the document was written about 1910.  It says, "a pathos that lingers still close to the places of heart pulsation, nearly a half century since, and the years between contain the awful tragedies of the Civil War."
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline andysouthern

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 September 12 23:22 BST (UK) »
Ah, I must have missed that! Yes, so it seems it was a sort of last telling of his story before his death, putting his experiences onto paper.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 September 12 23:52 BST (UK) »
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline andysouthern

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 September 12 01:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks! I'll check that out tonight!

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 03 September 12 19:54 BST (UK) »

It seems that would fit, that the document was written about 1910.  It says, "a pathos that lingers still close to the places of heart pulsation, nearly a half century since, and the years between contain the awful tragedies of the Civil War."

Picked that up myself, but time zone and Erato beat me to the punch. However, I would place it a little later around 1915 it is i think likely that reports of the war in Europe prompted him to type up his recollections. No problem I would suggest, I can remember things very well back to before 1950.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline andysouthern

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 03 September 12 20:53 BST (UK) »
Yes, that actually would make a lot of sense. I am currently in the process of scanning it all over to my computer so i don't need to work with the delicate pages each time I look through it. Also, I figured I would share this interesting quote from it, showing his views on the commanding officers of the Confederacy. He seems to be quite an opinionated person, even so many years after the war.

EDIT: ALSO, I have while scanning these, I found another quote, where he actually says that 45 years have passed, so I suppose that would actually put it at 1910.

This was in response to the Siege of Vicksburg, which he was stationed at.

"I have been unable to understand why President Davis and his advisors and the head military of men of the Confederacy did not more than a year before the war ended, see their inevitable failure and find some way to have stopped the slaughter and ruin of 1864 and the first three months of 1865.
      I know the answer, 'their honor was involved.' I cannot resist the reply, that pride and artificial honor ought to have been sacrificed rather than hundreds of thousands of men and homes and families, to which comes the ready answer, they were powerless to stop hostilities while they had armies in the field."