Author Topic: Mary James  (Read 4230 times)

Offline ddraigcelt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary James
« on: Sunday 02 September 12 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hi there guys,
                     I've hit a wall with this one and I hope the trusted roots chat can help me out, so a bit of info first:

My 2ND great grandmother, Mary James, was born 1859, I think in Caio, Carmarthenshire. My first record for her is the 1871 census record where she is living in Cefnpennar, Aberdare, Glamorgan. I also have census records for 1881,1891 and 1901 and I think she died in 1910. I also have a marriage certificate for her, to try and confirm a few things, which all added up. She married John Parker, born 1860 in Gelligaer, Glamorgan, in 1878 in  Merthyr registry office. They had, as far as I know, four children, James John Parker(1880-1918), Joseph Parker(my great grandfather, 1881 -1952), Ann Mary Parker(1883-), and Settie Matilda Parker(1885-).Her parents are James James b.1831 in Cardiganshire and Jane James b. 1836 in Carmarthenshire. I think she had a brother, David James b. 1860 and a sister Elizabeth James b. 1863.

My problem is I can't find a 1861 census for Mary or any information on her parents, I've gone through loads of records and have got nowhere. Please can someone help me out here? I would be very grateful  for any help at all.
                                                   Kind Regards, David.
Parker

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Mary James
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 September 12 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just a couple of quick questions ...................

What occupation does it show for her father James James
Is there an address for Mary on her marriage certificate
And who were the witnesses

Regards

Z :)

Offline ddraigcelt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 September 12 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
             Her father James is a coal miner and according to the marriage certificate Mary is living in Cwmbach, incidentally in the 1871 census she is living in 17, Victoria st., Cefnpennar, Aberdare which is next to Cwmbach. The witnesses look like William Lewis and Margaret Thomas.
                                               Thanks for the reply, Regards David.
Parker

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 September 12 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi again

Thank-you for the earlier info it confirmed that I had found the same family as you in 1871 but was hoping the certificate would reveal a little more ;D as I am not having much luck finding them in 1861 so far :( you probably have this already but decided to look for James James and family in later census to see whether it would provide any further clues birthplaces, family visitors etc etc and think I have found them still living in Victoria St in 1881 although Jane his wife is now Ann? and then again in 1891 where Ann is now a widow  - sorry not much to offer so far but will continue to look

Regards

Offline ddraigcelt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 September 12 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi again, thanks again for the reply. I have the 1881 census for her and I have her living as Mary James and living at 29, Bridge Road, Aberdare (Class: RG11; Piece: 5325; Folio: 52; Page: 35; GSU roll: 1342282.) I also have the 1891 census where she is still with John and living in 8 Basset Terrace, Pontypridd(Class: RG12; Piece: 4410; Folio: 105; Page: 31; GSU roll: 6099520.)but in this record it says she was born in Llanosil, Cardiganshire and not Caio, Carmarthenshire.  I also have the 1901 census where she is living at 84 Pontsionnorton Rd., Pontypridd. It's the 1861  I struggling with and her parents
census details. Thanks again, would love to know if you find something though. Kind Regards, David.
Parker

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 September 12 10:19 BST (UK) »
Good Morning David

I have concentrated my search in the Carmarthen area as it seemed to be the most obvious as the children all appear to have been born there but I have searched and searched for them in 1861 and nothing ???

I am beginning to wonder whether they are among the 1861 missing pieces for Carmarthen a list which I am sure you know already can be found on FindMyPast.

Just a thought though was wondering whether the enumerator transcribed the birthplace for Mary incorrectly in 1891 could it have been LLansawel Carmarthen which would tie in better with her birthplace of Caio given in previous census.

And before I go a possibility for David James in 1891 which you may already have but just in case RG12 4446 113 6 - edit not him as he is here RG12 4448 56 6 living at 6 Victoria Street

Sorry that's all I have wish it were more

All the best

Online osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 September 12 10:33 BST (UK) »
I'm a bit confused by you saying that you have her as Mary james in 1881. It says Mary Parker on the census at that ref.

I'm also beginning to think they must be in the missing pieces of 1861, but I think this could be her father, with a different wife, in 1881 & with John's brother living with them

1881 5 Victoria St, Cefnpennar RG11/5325 folio 36 pg 1
James James head mar 46 coalminer b. Cardiganshire, Cellan
Ann wife 41 b. Cards, Llanwenog
David son 19 coalminer b. Carms, Caio
Elizabeth dau 17 domestic servant at home b. Carms, Caio
Rachel Ann dau 2 b. Glam, Cwmbach
Joseph Parker boarder 18 coalminer b. Glam, Cwmbach
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline ddraigcelt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 September 12 15:58 BST (UK) »
Hi, Regarding Mary James in the 1881 census, Mary had married John Parker in 1878 so she would appear as Mary Parker. Regards
Parker

Online osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 September 12 16:36 BST (UK) »
your phrase "living as Mary James" suggested to me that was how she appeared on the census.

;)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb