Author Topic: Pennsylvania/New Jersey - General & esp. Deaths  (Read 6264 times)

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Pennsylvania/New Jersey - General & esp. Deaths
« Reply #18 on: Friday 21 September 12 23:20 BST (UK) »
Yes, I'm sure Kate would have much preferred West Orange. It's now a fairly wealthy place. Thomas Edison lived and had his laboratory there for a number of years.

I only knew about the problem with the draft cards because the microfilm copy, which I used to find my ancestor's WWII draft card, rather than an online version, has a warning about the problem.

I couldn't find Humphrey in any of the censuses either. In 1920 he might have gone back to Slatington, or he might have gone to live in Steelton the home of his wife Ella (from the marriage license). It's not far from Middletown, or he might have stayed in Harrisburg, where he was married. I'm lost on that one. Ditto for 1930. He must be in Pennsylvania somewhere, since he's there in 1942.

Maybe he worked in Connecticut for this C.B. Dolge Co. for a while?

John  :o :o :o
ENGLAND (all Yorkshire but one)
SLATER: Ovenden, Halifax, and Massachusetts
DOBSON, LONGBOTTOM: Thornton (Bradford)
DRURY: Darton, Halifax, and Massachusetts
NEVIL(LE): Wigan (Lancs.), Darton
MEGSON: Dewsbury, Ossett
GARSIDE: Woolley, West Bretton

SCOTLAND
ROBERT HENDRY: b. 1856, Who-knows-where-shire, Scotland; 1882 to US
DEMPSTER, HOUSTON: Lesmahagow, Glasgow, and Massachusetts
GALBRAITH, MEIKLE: Kirkmichael, Ayr.; Hamilton, Glasgow, and Massachusetts

Offline Ninian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Pennsylvania/New Jersey - General & esp. Deaths
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 22 September 12 21:21 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for looking for Humphrey on the censuses John - it's comforting to know that you couldn't find him either.  I s'pose he could have stayed in the army and been abroad or he might have been at sea - there are quite a lot of mariners in the family.  Not much scope for trying to find his wife on the census either as he apparently had 2 unknown wives between Martha Louise and Ella Mae.  I s'pose that sometimes people just aren't on the US censuses in just they same way as they disappear from the Wales/England censuses for no apparent reason.  I'll ask my elderly relative who used to keep in touch with both Kate and Humphrey to see if she can recall where he might have been in the 1920s and 30s.

Thanks, Ninian
Roberts (Llandanwg, Llanfihangel y traethau, Ffestiniog, Merionydd);  Jones (Bethesda, Caernarfonshire; Llandyfrydog, Angelsey); Jones, Davies (Bagillt, Holywell, Flintshire);  Turner, Bardsley (Ashton, Lancashire);  Fielding (Darley Dale, Derbyshire); Brockelbank (Louth, Lincolnshire); Allen (Ridgmont, Bedfordshire)