Author Topic: Physician in London in 1820s  (Read 550 times)

Offline jsanders

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Physician in London in 1820s
« on: Tuesday 04 September 12 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I was wondering what a physicians life in London might be like in the 1820s.  Is there a book which might describe the life of a physician at the time?  My ancestor Henry L. Sanders was a physician around that time in London. 

I also know he went to Germany for a stint in the 1820s where one of his children were born. In the late 1830's, he emigrated to the United States.

Your help is appreciated.

Regards, Jim
Sanders (Connecticut, USA, originally from London area, England [Henry L. Sanders & Barbara Ann Warwick])
Laurie (Connecticut, USA, originally from Scotland [John Douglas Laurie & Nicholas Martin])
Fox (Connecticut, USA, originally from County Leitrim, Ireland [Patrick Fox & Mary McGovern] )
Doyle (Connecticut, USA, originally from County Leitrim, Ireland [John Doyle & Esther O'Rourke])

Offline Greygirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Physician in London in 1820s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim
You could try contacting the library of the Royal College of Physicians of London on library@rcplondon.ac.uk
They have an extensive collection of books on history of medicine and will answer queries from members of the public interested in the history of medicine. They also have open days from time to time.
The RCP London is at 11 St Andrews Place, Regents Park, London
Lloyd (Ystumtuen, Llanfihangel y Creuddyn) Powell (Rhondda, Merthyr Tydfil, Llanspyddid) Yearsley (Monmouth, Ruardean) Faust (Gelsenkirchen, Dortmund & Waltersbrück/Bischhausen) Führen (Eschweiler, Duisburg and Kranenburg/Grafwegen)