Author Topic: Ada Kilpatrick - Winnipeg/Canada  (Read 4449 times)

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Ada Kilpatrick - Winnipeg/Canada
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 23:25 BST (UK) »
Could there have been two Ada Jane Kilpatricks in Canada around the same time?
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0qo7/
This one was married to George Washington Kilpatrick.  He was born in 1859 in Ontario, Canada.  She was last seen in 1909 in Saskatoon, Sask.

Another link about George and Ada Jane.  This one states they were on a census (1909?).  He apparently married in 1884 to "Emma" and he supposedly was widowed c1903.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0qo8/
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • View of Hinckley - 1791
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 23:34 BST (UK) »
Thats a shame - doesnt look like its that one.

I thought we were getting somewhere then.

T

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 23:48 BST (UK) »
He was married to Emma, then was widowed c1903.  Ada Jane could still be your Ada Jane.

I believe I've found the author of the previously mentioned links (George Kilpatrick's) and I've invited her to visit your thread.  Hopefully, she will.  :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 23:56 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 05 September 12 00:03 BST (UK) »
Thank-you Lisa

It will be interesting to see if George is the 'husband' of Ada Jane Kilpatrick (nee Ashford).

And thank-you Carole.  I have opened a post on the Australia board as i know that more resources for the Australia angle may be available in that forum to help with details.

TB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 05 September 12 00:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you, CaroleW.

You're welcome, TB.
Mystery deepens:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0qo9/
1908 Saskatoon Directory
Kilpatrick Ada J caretaker Immigration Hall lvs same
also Charles R, George W, Herbert A (not all living at the same address)

I've seen a couple of references to the name Ada as being a male, as well.  The above doesn't specify male or female.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 05 September 12 00:46 BST (UK) »
Some archived newspapers, but after a quick look, I didn't find Ada or Kilpatrick.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0qoa/

Offline Langley Vale Sue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 05 September 12 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Lisa alerted me to this thread, as it was my posts in 2004/5 regarding Ada Jane Kilpatrick in Saskatoon, Sask.

I am a great granddaughter of George Washington Kilpatrick and at the time of my original posts I thought that Ada Jane may be my great grandmother.  Family legend passed to me by my aunt at the time believed Ada Jane to be the mother of her father (my grandfather).  He apparently told his children that he didn't get on with his mother, Ada Jane Kilpatrick.  Subsequent research has proved that his mother was in fact Emma, who died in North Dakota in about 1903. 
See my post about George on Genealogists Forum.
http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2743&highlight=george+washington+kilpatrick
My grandfather would have been about 5 years old when his mother died and his widowed father moved his family back to Canada, so possibly thought Ada Jane was his natural mother as she appears to be living with the family in Saskatoon in 1909.

I have done no further research on Ada Jane for about 6 years, although there are certainly more records online than there were back then and I may go back to her. I wasn't able to find a record of a marriage between George & Ada Jane though, but that doesn't mean there wasn't one.

Sorry not to be of more help.

Edit to add :-
The Charles and Herbert referred to in this
http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/bibliography/3177.1.1/125.html?qid=peelbib
were my great uncles, my grandfather's brothers, and the George was my great grandfather.  I assume that the younger children, George, William & Ella, were too young to be listed as they would have been schoolchildren at the time.
Key - Abberley, Worcs
Tivers - Hampshire?, Surrey & London
Carsons - Wiltshire & London
Kilpatrick - Ontario & Saskatchewan, Canada
Seldon - Crediton & Broadclyst, Devon
Spiller - Venn Ottery & Broadclyst, Devon
Williams - Willscote, Oxfordshire & Culworth, Northants.
Evans - Pound Bank, Gt Malvern area, Worcs

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 23:39 BST (UK) »
Thank-you for responding.

I wonder if this is the Ada Jane that we have been searching for - particularly as you cannot find her after 1909! 

Did you ever find out more details about the complaint she made against George?  Perhaps she left him circa 1909 as a consequence.

Would love to hear from you again.

regards

TB