Author Topic: Ada Kilpatrick - Winnipeg/Canada  (Read 4447 times)

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • View of Hinckley - 1791
    • View Profile
Re: Ada Kilpatrick - Winnipeg/Canada
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 20:58 BST (UK) »
Thank-you doddsie4 and Sandra!  Thats her.

Great info.  Arriving from Sydney -  the mystery deepens.  Perhaps that may yield some further details of her life - like a marriage as clearly she is a widow by 1926!  I wonder if we can find her on Canadian passenger lists from her earlier visits.

Exciting stuff.  I will e:mail this initial info to my friend...

Regards

TB

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 21:07 BST (UK) »
This site has census returns, the last one being 1911:
http://automatedgenealogy.com/index.html

I did not find her, but I didn't look too closely.
Note:  I usually search with +/- 5 year difference in year of birth, as the years can be off.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 21:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.

I wonder if that is Ada Jane Kilpatrick in Medicine Hat.  She is listed as a cook........

TB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 21:23 BST (UK) »
The image states that she was born in England and immigrated in 1907.  It looks like Cook was scratched out and another word inserted, possibly Nurse.
(You may view the image by clicking on Split View.)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 21:27 BST (UK) »
Canada Oceans Arrivals Form 30 A - (difficult to read) Ada Jane Kilpatrick - 1871 Pregntiargham  ??? and aged 50 years. Widow. Present occupation:- Cooking. Had lived in Canada previously in  ????  Hostel. Calgary. Arrived Halifax 1900 (think I've come across that passenger list but it did'nt positively identify her) Left Quebec January 1919. Had left Canada to visit relations.
Port of Arrival: Quebec - 25 June 1921 on the Melita. Destined to ???? Hostel. Winnipeg.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 21:29 BST (UK) »
There was an Ada Jane Kilpatrick in Saskatchewan in 1908:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0qo4/

The previously mentioned passenger list could be incorrect (with the 1910 arrival in Canada).  Or, this could be a different Ada Jane.  (One of my ancestors is shown as arriving in 1867, but all of his children were born prior to that year in Canada, so errors do happen.)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 21:33 BST (UK) »
Sorry the previous mention of a 1900 passenger list for A Kilpatrick was for a male aged 37 years  ::)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 21:37 BST (UK) »
Great info.  We are unpicking her.

We think we found her in the UK 1891 census as a nurse ans so that description fits with the 1911 scribble.

Sandra - what year are your latest details from.  Whilst there are clearly mis-spellings there are more clues - Calgary, leaving to visit relatives in 1919....

I wonder if she married in Canada?

TB

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 21:48 BST (UK) »
Reply 13 was 25 th June 1921.
 Reference was made to Ada visiting the UK in 1919.
The age is wrong by a mile on this next one but the occupation is interesting   ::)

Ada Kilpatrick  Birth Date: abt 1898  Aged 21
Port of Departure: St John, New Brunswick, Canada to Liverpool arriving 7 th April 1919 on the Metagama . Going to London. Occupation Nurse. Country of Future Residence was England.

Sandra