Author Topic: William Thomas born St Issells 1788  (Read 4593 times)

Offline axecalibre

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Thomas born St Issells 1788
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 September 12 17:59 BST (UK) »
The family bible info comes from the Mowbray family.  Susan Thomas b 1829, sister of Richard Thomas,  married Alfred Richard Mowbray, so the information came from her about her father William Thomas b1788, and the fact that his father was also called William.  That is all I know, of course this is heresay on Susan's part?  But I do feel is more accurate than some...

Fferm Craig comes, I believe, from the gentleman you met, and I thought a translation into Welsh...

I would like to join the dots so to speak, ie make the link back to Griffith Thomas, but only if the relationship is correct as the gentleman infers on his website.

Thank you again Jon for your interest and help and Oriel too, looks as if we have four contenders for wife of William Thomas.

Is there any mileage in searching for the children of Griffith and Letitia (so much nicer name than Elizabeth!) to see if there is a William?  Again an inaccuracy adjusted unless Griffith remarried, or William was born wrong side of blanket .....

William could have been away from home with his wife when she went into labour, baby born early, quick baptism at nearest church........ Sorted!!
FOULIS, MOFFAT, Scotland, NZ, Canada
SPENCE-THOMAS, Forest of Dean, Wales, England
ADAIR, Dublin
MAGGS, BULL, Bristol, England, Ireland
ALLEN, London, Bristol
GREEN, Shefford, Beds, Somerset
DURRELL, Wivenhoe
BRIDGMAN, England

Offline jonm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 September 12 08:23 BST (UK) »
Little survives in the way of primary material for Begelly etc in the 1700s.

One of the key sources is the records of the Picton Castle estate. Rock was from around 1790 leased by the estate and there's some good stuff in the NLW and Pembrokeshire RO about the farm from then on. Unfortunately, before this date, the farm appears to have been sub-tenanted as part of the much larger Thomas Chapel farm and its records have not survived. This is a pity as it is possible to trace ownership and other family details of some of the local farms back into the 1600s using the estate's records

So unless you find specific material relating to the family (eg refs in probate docs, central court records), I doubt you'll be able to link Griffith Thomas. I will be happy and interested to be proved wrong! Sorry not to be more hopeful or helpful.

Your comments about the birth and a possible remarriage of Griffith Thomas of course make good sense.

Jon

Offline axecalibre

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 September 12 09:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that information Jon it all helps to fill in the background.

A long shot, but would there be a will for Griffith or Letitia, if so where should I look?

Up to now I have concentrated on BMD and census returns but more recently have begun to want to put flesh on the bones so to speak!

axecalibre
ADAIR, Dublin
ALLEN, London, Bristol
DURRELL, Wivenhoe
BRIDGMAN, England

Offline jonm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 September 12 09:45 BST (UK) »
As you no doubt know, finding pre-1858 wills etc can be a complex task.

Thankfully the National Library of Wales has published on line both an index and also the original documents for local wills etc proved in the St Davids Court. It's a wonderful service, free of charge to boot. See

http://www.llgc.org.uk/index.php?id=487

(note: in the index the parish name 'Begelly' has been transposed for 'Begeli')

The other main source, the Prerogative Court of Canterbury probate documents, are available on TNA's web site. Charges apply to download a document unless you are visiting TNA.

Jon

Offline axecalibre

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 September 12 09:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jon registered and will have a go

Mmmmm  thoughts....

William b 1788 has Tenby as place of birth, if he had been born/lived at St Issells region would he not have put that instead of Tenby.  IF his father William came from/lived in Tenby maybe there would be a record of his birth there.

Was Griffith an unusual Christian name?  

Maybe Elizabeth/Letitia/Lettice one and the same person?
ADAIR, Dublin
ALLEN, London, Bristol
DURRELL, Wivenhoe
BRIDGMAN, England

Offline jonm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 06 September 12 10:17 BST (UK) »
It is uncommon for people born in Begelly/St Issells parishes to record their place of birth in census returns as Tenby but not unique. Little more than an impoverished fishing village in the 1700s, Tenby was becoming a fashionable resort in the early 1800s so I could surmise that some people from the obscure and humble coalmining parishes of Begelly etc might want to record their origins in the more genteel Tenby.

With that caveat in mind you may want to look at the Tenby records. Borough records are held at the Tenby Museum, a source I have not explored. It may contain 'wonderful things'.

Griffith as a forename is rare in this area. I have not heard of Elizabeth being an alternative for Letitia etc.

Best of luck

Jon

Offline axecalibre

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 06 September 12 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Jon

Have caught up with your 'chat' on Rootsweb with Arthur/David TT in which you mention Rock Farm and the Thomas family.

You mention a David Thomas marrying Jane Morse.  The TT genealogy has David Thomas of Ramshorn, brother to William Thomas b1754, marrying Jane Morse.

Still no evidence for this??  You can appreciate my frustration...

axecalibre

ADAIR, Dublin
ALLEN, London, Bristol
DURRELL, Wivenhoe
BRIDGMAN, England

Offline axecalibre

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 06 September 12 15:32 BST (UK) »
TT has a Lettice Thomas b 1791 daughter of William Thomas and Ann Phillips, so dead end.

Cannot find will/probate for Griffith Thomas, don't suppose he had time after coming off his cart...
ADAIR, Dublin
ALLEN, London, Bristol
DURRELL, Wivenhoe
BRIDGMAN, England