Author Topic: Surname Stook and Payne/Paine  (Read 974 times)

Offline joshuadwilliams

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Surname Stook and Payne/Paine
« on: Tuesday 04 September 12 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have been searching this line of the family and there has been one thing that has confused me. The family surname is Stook, but throughout various census' and bmd certificates, the surname has sometimes been Payne or Paine.
My ancestor Mary Anna Stook was born 1879 in Creech St Michael, the surname stays Stook until she gets married to a William Mitchell in 1900, where her surname is Payne. Her father is also recorded as George Payne, and her sister Emily (a witness) is also Payne.

Mary's father George was born about 1847 in Creech St Michael, his name stays consistent until the 1871 census where he now a Payne. And then jumps back to Stook in the 1881 census onwards to 1911. His first son Thomas' surname was registered as Paine in the birth index in 1867, also Henry in 1871 is registered as Paine. Also a daughter Emily has her name as Payne on her marriage certificate.

George's father was James Stook born about 1818/19 in Spaxton (well one of the birth places he gave in various census') He has his surname as Paine/Payne in the 1871 and 1881 census. Also on the baptism on one of his son's John in 1856, it says "John Paine, child of James Stook and Hannah". Other children and grandchildren of James continued to use the name Payne/Paine a various points in their lives.

I was hoping for some help or some suggestions as to the reason behind all of this?

Regards, Joshua