Author Topic: Watson in Yorkshire  (Read 11768 times)

Offline MarySusan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Watson in Yorkshire
« on: Thursday 06 September 12 05:15 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, this is my first post on this website! ;D

My name is Mary, and I am researching my husband's family line at his request (because I love genealogy, and have had success with looking at my own family.)

I saw bendywendy's and Pankpop's posts, and think they (or at least someone on here) may be able to point me in the right direction.

This is the line of Watson in which I am interested:

Start: Bruce Milton Watson, born Sept 28, 1927 in Los Angeles.

Bruce Milton Watson's father was Edward Damorn Watson, born in Missouri, May 12, 1889; his mother was Alice L Dumont.

Edward Damorn Watson's father was James Watson, born in November of 1852 in Cottingham, Yorkshire; his mother was Elizabeth "Bettsey" [unknown maiden name] born in December of 1850 in England.  James and "Bettsey" sailed to America in 1881 with their young sons William Watson (born Jan 1877) and James H Watson (born Jan 1880).  They had John H Watson (born Feb 1885) and Edward D in America.

This is where I become unsure if I have crossed over into another line or not.  ??? Anyway, I think that:

James Watson's father was William Watson, who was born June 17, 1823 in Little Weighton, Yorkshire and died November 10, 1875 in Cottingham, Yorkshire.  I think James Watson's mother was Elizabeth Holmes, born about 1824 in Kirk Ella, Yorkshire.

William Watson's father I think, was Joseph Watson, born in 1784, Yorkshire.  Joseph seems to have also married an "Elizabeth" with no maiden name (she was born 1796, died 1848).

I think Joseph Watson's father was another Joseph Watson, born 1745, in Yorkshire; Joseph Watson's (born 1784) mother may have been Elizabeth Forge, born 1746.

Joseph Watson's father I think was John Watson, born in 1719, still in Yorkshire. I don't know his mother's name.

John Watson's father then seems to be yet another John Watson, born in 1695, in Yorkshire. Also do not know his mother's name.

So, the lineage I think, is:

John Watson (b 1695) > John Watson (b 1719) > Joseph Watson (b 1745) > Joseph Watson (b 1784) > William Watson (b 1823) > James Watson (b 1852) > Edward Watson (b 1889) > Bruce Watson (b 1927) > and so on
If anyone knows this family, has any corrections, any additions after my last, or anything at all, I'd really appreciate your information! 

Thanks everybody!

MarySusan

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Watson in Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 September 12 08:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary and welcome
I have made your post into a separate topic so that it is seen by more people.  I have also removed details of living people as they are not allowed on Rootschat.  This is to avoid identity theft etc.
Have you looked at www.freebmd.org.uk to see if you can see a marriage for James before they go to America?  That would confirm his father's name.  Or births for the children as those would give Bettsey's maiden name.
Regards
Andrea

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 September 12 08:53 BST (UK) »
I am rather busy today to digest your info and help in any way, but I will defo have a look at this for you later today and over the next few days.

Reading what Sillgen/Andrea  has written it looks like you had posted on the thread Watson of Kirk Ella, it could well be you are from the same line/s as that family.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=533187.new#new

bendywendy
HALL     REEPHAM, HACKFORD, GUESTWICK, NFK
HALL     YORK, HOLME ON SPALDING MOOR, E. YKS
HALL     BELBY, Nr HOWDEN, E. YKS
HOUFE   YORK, RICCALL, THIRSK, DURHAM, LANCASHIRE
FEATHERSTONE     KNEDLINGTON, GILBERDYKE, E. YKS
CLAYTON   PATRINGTON, KEYINGHAM, STADDLETHORPE, E. YKS
CAWOOD   RAWCLIFFE, STADDLETHORPE
WALKER     HADDELSEY, EASTRINGTON, SHIPTONTHORPE, E. YKS
BEAN         STILLINGFLEET, ULLESKELF, KIRKBY WHARFE, YKS
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 September 12 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hi MarySusan

You give a great deal of info, but you don't mention if you have found Baptism's for William Watson 1877 to James & Betsy ???

I have found this Census for:

1881 Ruston Walk, Drewton, North Cave, East Yorkshire RG11/4738/115/8

James Watson   28 Head, Mar,  Farmer of 500 Acres employing Labouror's & 6 Boys. Born Cottingham
Betsey Watson 30 Wife, Long Sutton, Lincolnshire
Annie Watson   5, Dau, Born North Cave
William Watson 4, Son, Born North Cave
Florence Watson 3, Dau, Born North Cave
Herbert Watson 1, Son, Born North Cave
Frances Watson 1month, Born North Cave

All the following are Servants living with the family above:   
Sarah Taylor, 40
Annie Harrison, 17
Annie Danby, 15
Thomas Mc Cann, 51
Isac Thompson   , 40
John Talbott, 19
George Jessop, 18
Thomas Stephenson, 18
George Danby, 13

With the info for Birthplace for Betsy, this could be her marriage to James Watson from familysearch:

James Watson married Betsy Searson 1 March 1874   @   Sutton-Bridge, Lincoln, England
he 21yrs c1853  she 23yrs c1851
His father:  William Watson - Her father:   John Searson
Index No:   M03194-4  -  System:   England-VR  -  Film number:   1542150
Parish registers for Sutton-Bridge, 1841-1937 Church of England. Chapelry of Sutton-Bridge (Lincolnshire)

This could be the Baptism for:

James Watson Baptised 10 May 1855 @ St. Mary, Beverley, York, England
Parents: William Watson & Elizabeth
Index No:   I02324-4  - System:   England-EASy  Film No:   1566050
Bishop's transcripts for St. Mary's Church, Beverley, 1601-1863
Church of England. St. Mary's Church (Beverley, Yorkshire)

1861 Census RG9/3576/63/28 Watson's Wood House Farm, Cottingham, East Yorkshire (on census is situated between Wood House Cottages & Raywell Hall)
William Watson 37, Head, Mar, Farmer of 500 acres employing 8 Men & 1 Boy  Born Little Weighton, Yorks
Elizabeth Watson 37, Wife. Born Kirk Ella
James Watson   8, Son, Born Cottingham
Rebecca E Watson   6, Born Cottingham
William Watson 1, Born Cottingham

All the following are Servants
Richard W Hardy,18, Pupil in Farming  Born Australia
Thomas Austin, 38
Maria Brown, 31
Mary Everingham, 10

1871 Census Wood House, Cottingham RG10/4774/57/4 Surname has been mistranscribed as WaLson
William Walson   , 47, Head, Mar, Farmer of 1000 Acres Employing 17 Labourers, 2 Shepherds & 22 Boys Born Little Weeton Rowley
Elizabeth Walson, 47, Wife Born Kirk Ella
James Walson, 18, Unm, Farmers Son Born Cottingham
Rebecca E Walson, 16, Dau, Unm Born Cottingham
William A Walson, 5, Son, Born Cottingham

All the following are Servants living in with the family above.
John Brunnin, 30
Sarah Thompson, 27
Eliza Sweeting, 28
Harriet Would, 25

With reference to the surname WaLson, I think this one is also on the other thread of Watson, needs checking, but something rings bell with me about this spelling ???
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,533187.140.html

I am needed by my poorly grandson now, so I will come back to this later today.

bendywendy
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 September 12 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hi MarySusan

The surname I thought was WaLson is in fact WatsAn on the other thread for Watson, page 10 2nd entry by myself for Arthur WatsAn...

now something else interesting on same thread and same page is the entry by myself relating to the 1891 Cen re Arthur Watson at Wood House Farm, Cottingham, the same farm as the info I have already found for your Watson and a little further along you will see Destruction of Farm, again the same farm and I asked the question who was living at Wood House Farm, Raywell 1849 ??

followed by the death of Wm Watson, 2 yrs 9 mths son of Wm Watson, at that time we could not find them on the 1861 census, since then it was found. Re-reading the info for both 1861/71 census after the death of this child they did have another child which they called William Andrew Watson, this is the line that went to Newzealand c/o Andrea on the other Watson thread. So your James and this William Andrew were brothers.

If you go to same thread on page 10 again, scroll down to Pankpop message « Reply #96 on: Thursday 24 November 11 09:00 GMT (UK) » you will see she has your William & Elizabeth with James & Betsy, she gives info as to how she is related to the same Watson, meaning you are related to same also.

So welcome to this family ;D, although not my family or any relation, I find this line very fascinating and informative.

I will put a note on the other thread to link these two together.

No doubt Pankpop and Andrea will be in touch with you.

Regards
bendywendy
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline MarySusan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 September 12 05:38 BST (UK) »
Sillgen/Andrea: Thank you so much! I will certainly look on that website--I didn't even know it existed!  You've been so welcoming and helpful; again, thank you so much.

Bendywendy: Oh my gosh, this is all so great! Above and beyond what I dared to hope for, frankly.  Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to help me (and I hope your grandson is okay!).  I'm going to study everything you sent, and get back to you asap (probably with more thanks and questions).  Also, I saw your link on the other forum about my connection to the line: thank you again!  I am going to look on the site Sillgen told me about, to see if I can't find something to contribute to the line as well. 

Thanks again, and I will talk (write) to you soon!

Sincerely,

Mary

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 September 12 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary
The Freebmd site is brilliant, but it is word sensitive, which means it only looks for the spelling you enter, which can be a big problem, especially with names that can be spelt several ways.
Also don't over fill the boxes with info, sometimes doing a simple search means highlighting all counties and counties but not choosing any particular listing from them.
Another is to put dates in covering 5-10 years if uncertain of when someone was born, also the registers are in Quarters ie Jan, Feb, Mar is Mar Q - Apr, May, Jun is Jun Q - Jul, Aug, Sep is Sep Q - Oct, Nov, Dec is Dec Q - in UK we have 6 weeks in which to register a birth, so if someone was born towards the end of a quarter then they could be registered in the following quarter.
Any problems just shout for help on here and someone will assist you.

Next, we are all here to help in whatever way we can, so again just ask.

Now back to Betsy Searson and her family, this is what I have found, but I have no idea how James came to be married to her, I cannot find her or her family on census in this area prior to their marriage 1874, they are in Lincolnshire and also it appears she was a Servant, so James didn't marry into money but Betsy did.

If you have Ancestry, there is a Family Tree by judigould49 who has your Betsy and her family.

Also a link to Genuki, which we use a great deal to:  http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LIN/LongSutton/

Looking at a map for Long Sutton, Lincs, to the south by a few miles is Sutton Bridge where James n Betsy married and to the north by a cockstride is Gedney and further along that road is Holbeach.

Betsy claims to be married 1851, so we are usually looking within 2 years either side, cos folk were very illiterate and had not much idea of when they were born precisely, so back to FreeBMD site to find her birth:

Searson, Betsy, All counties/districts, up comes 3 listings for 1850 Sleaford, Spalding & Holbeach, click on Holbeach and a new window will open, then click on the word here and another window will open, scroll down and you will find Long Sutton listed as part of the parish of Holbeach that was included for registration purposes, so that is Betsy's birth reg.

This birth ties in nicely with her Baptism (https://familysearch.org)

Betsy Searson Baptised @ Gedney, Lincoln, England 9 Feb 1851 
Parents: John Searson  & Eliza
Index No:   C02747-9 - System:   England-EASy  - Film No:   1542146
Parish registers for Gedney, 1558-1923 Church of England. Parish Church of Gedney (Lincolnshire)

Now there is 3 possibles for a marriage of a John Searson to an Eliza:

FreeBMD: Jun Q 1848 John Searson & Eliza Gutherson @ St Martin, Middlesex
FreeBMD: Jun Q 1847 John Searson & Elizabeth Waters @ Grantham, Lincolnshire
FreeBMD: Mar Q 1847 John Searson Elizabeth Green @ Doncaster, Yorkshire

On familysearch:
John Searson  married Eliza Gutherson
16 May 1848  @ Saint Martin In The Fields,Westminster,London,England
Index No:   M00145-5  - System: England-ODM -
Film No's:   561169, 561170, 561171, 561172, 561173, 561174, 561175
Parish registers for St. Martin-in-the-Fields Church, Westminster, 1550-1926 - Church of England. (Westminster, Middlesex)

On 1861 census for family John Searson & Eliza, they have a son Levi 6, born 1855 Gedney, Lincs in the parish of Sutton St Nicholas Lutton Bourne,  Holbeach, Lincs RG9/2328/26/15
and to confirm Levi's mothers maiden name and marriage, here is his baptism on familysearch

Levi Gutherson Searson
Baptised 20 Oct 1861   @ Lutton, St. Nicholas, Lincolnshire
Parents: John Searson & Eliza
Index No:   C03194-5  - System: England-VR  - Film No:   989797
Parish registers for Lutton-Bourne, 1538-1974 - Church of England. Parish Church of Lutton-Bourne (Lincolnshire)

A word of warning the surname Gutherson may not be spelt this way !!!  
On 1861 cen Eliza claims to be 42 yrs born Wainfleet, Lincoln.

Baptism
Eliza Gudderson Baptised 14 Nov 1824 @ Wainfleet-St. Mary, Lincoln, England
Parents: Thomas Gudderson & Sarah
Index NO:   C02213-7  - System: England-EASy  - Film No:   1541980
Parish registers for Wainfleet-St. Mary, 1611-1882 - Church of England. Parish Church of Wainfleet-St. Mary (Lincolnshire)

Over to you now Mary, see what you can find by way of census, births, baptism's etc.. Come back if you get stuck, I think the surname of Eliza Gutherson/Gudderson family will cause you some headaches !!! You will need to search for them on the census's to see if still alive and living in Lincolnshire, in different spellings  :-\

bendywendy
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline Pankpop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 September 12 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary:

Welcome to the extended family. Assuming that Bruce is your husband's father, then your husband and I are 4th cousins. Your can view my tree at ancestry.com - it's named "Middleton-De Hart - Pankhurst". Follow my grandmother's line for the Watson ascendents - Sarah Watson, sister of William, was my grandmother's grandmother.

All best,
Pankpop

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 September 12 12:10 BST (UK) »
1900 cen - Spring Valley, Shannon, Missouri [Shannon] - - ALL can read, write and speak English - Resident 19 years  (so they arrived in USA 1881 - was on 1881 cen North Cave, so did they go later that year?)
Year: 1900; Census Place: Spring Valley, Shannon, Missouri;   - 903; Page: 15A; Enumeration District: 117; FHL microfilm: 1240903.

James Watson - 47 Birth Nov 1852 - Birthplace England - Marriage year 1874 married 26 years - Farmer
Bettsey Watson - 49 Birth Dec 1850 - Birthplace England - Marriage year 1874 married 26 years
William Watson - 23 Birth Jan 1877 - Birthplace England -  Farmer
James H Watson - 30 Birth Jan 1880 - Birthplace England -  Farm Labourer
John H Watson    - 15 Birth Feb 1885 - Birthplace Missouri -  Farm Labourer
Edward D Watson - 11 Birth May 1889 - Birthplace Missouri -
Carey Morey - 21 Birth Apr 1879 - Birthplace Indiana - White - Servant Housekeeper

If we re-look at the 1881 cen for James & Betsy at Drewton, North Cave, England they had the following children:
     Annie Watson   5, Dau, Born North Cave
     William Watson 4, Son, Born North Cave
     Florence Watson 3, Dau, Born North Cave
     Herbert Watson 1, Son, Born North Cave
     Frances Watson 1month, Born North Cave

did all these children go to USA with their parents ???

Also where is James H Watson born 1880 England (1900 cen) on the 1881 census North Cave ?? or is this the one named Herbert as I have found this birth: James Herbert Watson Reg Mar Q 1880 Howden (which is the registration district for North Cave)

MarySusan have you found an earlier census before 1900 for James in USA, I cannot locate one, so I have a gap between this census 1881 UK > 1900 USA.

I also cannot find the family on Immigration Passenger Records

bendywendy
TAYLES     LINCS.