Author Topic: Watson in Yorkshire  (Read 11769 times)

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Watson in Yorkshire
« Reply #18 on: Friday 12 October 12 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary Susan,

Another useful website when researching baptisms, marriages & burials in Lincolnshire is the Lincs to the past site.

This is the baptism of Betsy Searson on that website. On the search page just type in the name of the village and the letters par, and then look for registers, then the dates you are looking for. All the information shows original documents which you can download.

http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=571886&iid=297548

Tom

Offline MarySusan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Watson in Yorkshire
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 31 January 13 06:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi

1910 Cen  Spring Valley, Shannon, Missouri - T624_824; Page: 4A; Enumeration District: 0084; Image: 368; FHL microfilm: 1374837.
H S Watson, Head, 25 Born Missouri, F born England, M born England - General Farmer
Pearl Watson, Wife, 22 Born North Dakota, F born Wisconsin, M born North Dakota - born 2 children, 2 living
Ralph Watson, son, 2 Born Wisconsin, F born Missouri, M born North Dakota
Therman Watson, son, 2/12mths Born Missouri, F born Missouri, M born North Dakota
Why the initials for H S and names for the rest of family ???

1920 Cen  - 903; Page: 15B; Enumeration District: 112; FHL microfilm: 1240903.
Henry S Watson, Head, 36, Born Missouri, F born Eng, M born Eng - General Farmer
Pearl E Watson, wife, 34, Born South Dakota, F born Wis, M born United States
Ralph P Watson, son, 11 born Missouri, F born Miss, M born S Dak
Thurman E Watson, son, 9, born Missouri, F born Miss, M born S Dak
Wendell W Watson, son, 7, born Missouri, F born Miss, M born S Dak
Garland J Watson, son, 6, born Missouri, F born Miss, M born S Dak
Etta B Watson, dau, 2/12 mths born Missouri, F born Miss, M born S Dak

This couple had another child Edith P Watson, born Missouri abt 1921

It appears that Pearl Watson died between 1920-1930

I know from later census info that this H S Watson became Henry S/Harry S and ended up in Los Angeles as a Widow, living with a sister Elizabeth A Watson, with his 2 dau's, whereby somehow, Anna E/Annie E Watson also came to be the householder of the same property 12031 Peoria Ave, Los Angeles with Roy W Gibson & Edith Gibson & David B Gibson.

Also Eliz A Watson, A E Watson (Anna W), Roy W Gibson, Edith Gibson all show up in a Directory for 12031 Peoria Ave, LA just prior to the 1940 cen, with Anna being the Head/Householder.

Before and after this entry I have not found Eliz A Watson on census, as yet.
There is no trace of an Elizabeth A Watson c1876 born England relating to the family of James & Betsy on 1881 UK Census, so was this originally Florence Katherine Watson c1878 North Cave, Howden, E. Yorks, England ??? and if it is, why did she also change her name.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is what I have found for a possible marriage between:

John H Watson to Pearl Hawkins of Richmond, County of Ray, Missouri
Marriage Lic date: 19 Jan 1907  - Marriage date: 20 Jan 1907  - Filed: 21 Jan 1907
Ancestry.com. Missouri Marriage Records, 1805-2002 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2007.
Original data: Missouri Marriage Records. Jefferson City, MO, USA: Missouri State Archives. Microfilm.

1910 Census for H S Watson & Pearl, stated they had been married 3 years, this marriage would fit for them.

So, is this the same person as what became Henry S / Harry S Watson. I cannot find another marriage to a Pearl in any of these names, other than this one for being married 3 yrs upto 1910.

I was wondering if the H in John H's name was Henry/Harry and he added the S from his mother's maiden name Searson ?? but why did he change his name, if these two people are the same one person ???
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have sent MarySusan a great deal of info that I have found for these folk and some others in this same thread, but for data protection I cannot make that info public, so it is difficult for those reading this to understand how I have come to relate the above info with the family of James & Betsey Watson and their "elusive" children.

I am awaiting for MarySusan to have time to go through the info and see if she agrees with my findings, if I am correct, then why have some of these "elusive Watson children" changed their names ??? Other Watson children still remained unfound on Census after 1900 with their parents.

bendywendy

Well! It has been a while.  Sorry it has taken so long.  But I now have the records from Edward Damorn's son's mother (Alice Ann (Beal) Watson) who started research on the family back in the 1970's.  I have also found the censuses that bendywendy used to find info on the Gibson/Watson link.  Edward's son said that he didn't know of any Gibson cousins, but he does not know much of the family anyway. I will upload the family tree data that Alice Ann has done for the Watsons and Beals and associated families. My applications to my grad schools are due this Friday, so I should have time this weekend to upload that info.  I know that her research diverged a little from the line in West/East Riding (some of the Elizabeths last names are Rawson and Swaby) so I am curious as to what bendywendy will make of those. Some of the US censuses I have found show that Anna Watson has a child named Gibson, but the father is nowhere to be found... I will upload everything asap, and bendywendy can cast her expert opinion on them.  Thanks again for all your help bendywendy, and I hope I can repay you with the info I have found.