Author Topic: Adopted son - help with WWII Fireman please  (Read 5608 times)

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Adopted son - help with WWII Fireman please
« on: Thursday 06 September 12 15:40 BST (UK) »
I am usually to be found on the WRY board but am here helping a neighbour.

My neighbour was adopted after his mother's husband came back from the war to find her with a child which wasn't his. My neighbour found his mother and, just before she died, she gave him a piece of paper with his father's name.

I have not given this name as there is a slim possibility he is still alive. He was a fireman.

The mother was living at Alperton (near Wembley) at the time of my neighbour's birth.

Any help and advice in tracing a fire station near to Alperton would be most helpful.

Thank you.
All WRY (Holmfirth/Linthwaite/Rastrick /Elland/Kirkburton/Barnsley)- Broadbent, Brook, Cartwright, Charlesworth, Dawson, Earnshaw, Ellis, Flather, Greaves, Hallas, Hirst, Holroyd, Houghland, Hoyle, Kilner, Littlewood, Mallinson, Mitchell, Morton, Scargill, Schofield, Swallow, Taylor, Youle

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Adopted son - help with WWII Fireman please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 September 12 15:45 BST (UK) »
Is it a very common name? Have you tried to find his birth or death?

Send me a PM if you like and I'll see if I can help.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 September 12 15:53 BST (UK) »
Have you tried looking on Genes Reunited for a match?...You can search for living people on there.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 September 12 15:59 BST (UK) »
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 September 12 16:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the PM Holmemoss.

Whilst the dad's name is not THAT common,nothing is jumping out at me in the right area,not births deaths or marriages.

Maybe a 1948 marriage in Westminster,whish is on Freebmd? But I'm not totally convinced  :(

Do you have an address or just a name?

Has your neighbour ever applied for his own adoption papers.
If his mum mentioned the fathers name to the adoption agency there may be more about him.

My cousin found out all about her natural dad on her papers,he was Irish though and had gone back there with such a common surname you wouldn't believe  8)

Carol

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 September 12 16:03 BST (UK) »

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 September 12 16:10 BST (UK) »
Ditto...One to remember ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 September 12 16:15 BST (UK) »
My neighbour was born in 1945 and his birth was registered with his mother's husband's surname but with no father given.

The name of his father is all we have together with the fact he was a fireman. Whether this was full time or an auxiliary in the war, we have no idea. My neighbour thinks it would not have been the London Fire Brigade as Alperton (Wembley) is too far from the city.
All WRY (Holmfirth/Linthwaite/Rastrick /Elland/Kirkburton/Barnsley)- Broadbent, Brook, Cartwright, Charlesworth, Dawson, Earnshaw, Ellis, Flather, Greaves, Hallas, Hirst, Holroyd, Houghland, Hoyle, Kilner, Littlewood, Mallinson, Mitchell, Morton, Scargill, Schofield, Swallow, Taylor, Youle

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 September 12 16:24 BST (UK) »
My neighbour thinks it would not have been the London Fire Brigade as Alperton (Wembley) is too far from the city.

It seems to be within their area now: http://www.london-fire.gov.uk/LatestIncidentsContainer_12Oct2011Np3.asp

...but your neighbour is right that it was not in 1944-5 (see the "History" section here):

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-486889-wembley-fire-station-greater-london-auth
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)