Author Topic: Migrations within Germany  (Read 2301 times)

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Migrations within Germany
« on: Thursday 06 September 12 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

Can anyone advise if in the 1800's that "permission" was required to move from one town or locality to another within Germany, and would this be called an "emigration".

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Grainger - Wigton and Newcastle Area
Gibson - Newcastle/Scotland (Roxburgh) Areas
Crisell/Crissell/Chrysel/etc. - Suffolk Area
Schoch - Germany (Öhringen Area)

Offline carinthiangirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Migrations within Germany
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 September 12 06:37 BST (UK) »
that time more/also named WANDERUNG > hike?
or like you stated Einwanderung/immigration
the person then was a wanderer.
it was very usual because of work, religion (Exulanten) and so on.
exampel Exulanten: http://www.exulanten.com/chronology.html
exampel  wanderer in german-lingual countries:
Einwanderung von Tirolern in die Westpfalz und in angrenzende Regionen nach dem Dreißigjährigen Krieg
Immigration from Tyrolese in the West Palatinate and neighboring regions after the Thirty Years War
http://www.mueller-heppenheim.privat.t-online.de/tiroler1.htm
Tirol und Vorarlberg, Wanderungen in das Saarland
Tyrol and Vorarlberg, hikes in the Saarland
http://www.saar-genealogie.de/shop/safedataframe.html?fsrc=http://www.saar-genealogie.de/shop/sonderbaende/tirol-und-vorarlberg.html

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 September 12 07:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard,

just to add a bit to Carinthiangirl's reply:

As in any country, people would want to move to where they could find work,
or to avoid political or religious harassment and persecution.

And yes, you did have to get permission: 

- Permission to leave the old locality: Sometimes this was because the authorities didn't want able-bodied men avoiding conscription or other military services. Or didn't want sources of taxes and other incomes leaving ...  Or loss of skilled workers. Or ... etc, etc.

- Permission to stay in new locality: The new state/principalitycounty may not have wanted an influx of particular types of people (catholics in predominantly protestant states, and vice versa; jews; "foreigners"; etc). They may also have been worried about whether the new arrivals may become a liability (costs !) to the community. Plus - probably - all the usual reasons we hear today about foreigners/newcomomers taking our jobs, housing, etc.

Many who emigrated to other countries, e.g. America, did so "illegaly", without bothering to ask for permission.  They simply fled their homes and went.  This was often to avoid conscription or to avoid starving.

In modern Germany people still have to register their place of abode. 40 years ago in Berlin I heard that some districts weren't allowing turkish people to move there as the district already had an overproportional share of immigrants, but I haven't heard it mentioned for years now, so I don't know if it is still being done.

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 September 12 12:47 BST (UK) »

E Bu 175 5830   
Emigrations, Bubenorbis with boroughs Maibach, and Riegenhof Ziegelbronn
Contains: Bubenorbis: 1873 - happiness, Friedrich Leonhard Christoph, 1880 - Lay, Johann Leonhard, 1883 - Steiner, Karl Ludwig Friedrich, 1888 - Kaufmann, Gottlieb Jacob 1890 - Wieland, George Karl, 1891 - Klenk, Karl; Schwaderer, Adolf Gustav, 1892 - Klenk, Frederick; Maibach: 1872 - Kircher, Charles; Riegenhof: 1904 - Wenger, Adam Frederick, 1907 - Wenger, Gottfried; Ziegelbronn: 1873 - Schoch , Christoph Heinrich, 1904 - Hafner, Karl Ludwig, Kircher, Heinrich .
1 Bu.

Founds this entry in a German archive ( Landesarchiv  Baden-Wurttemberg) that seems to show a relative Christoph Heinrich Schoch's emigration in 1873.  According to my research ( if this is the same person) he was born in Gleichen and later married in Ohringen (and died there), so I was wondering if this would be the record of his "migration".

Do you have any thought on this conclusion or could this another person, not related to me.

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 September 12 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard,

there isn't enough detail to say which "Schoch , Christoph Heinrich" this is, so I wouldn't like to say.
AS far as I understand the format, he came from Ziegelbronn:
Ziegelbronn:
1873 - Schoch , Christoph Heinrich,
1904 - Hafner, Karl Ludwig, Kircher, Heinrich .

Does that ring any bells ? It's about 16 km (10 miles) from Öhringen.

regards,
Bob

ps. not one of yours, but this one caught my eye:
- happiness, Friedrich Leonhard Christoph, 1880
I'm guessing this should be Glück (german word for luck, or happiness)
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 September 12 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Bob,

It still could be one of mine.  Christoph Heinrich Schoch (Heinrich Schoch) married in Ohringen in 1867. His wife Sophia died in 1877 (their son died in 1870), all of which is listed in the church records in Ohringen.  He later married again to a Karoline Osterlein in 1878, again in Ohringen.  Would these details be recorded in the Ohringen church if  they in fact had been living 10 mies away in Ziegelbronn?
My question was that I wondered if the word "emigrate" also applied to those moving around within the country, not just to those leaving Germany.
I am tying to trace all the children of the 2nd marriage (subject of another post ..Rosalie Nanette Schoch b: 1886) so this is not my main line of inquiry at his time.

Thanks

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Offline apwright

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 September 12 16:59 BST (UK) »
The Württemberg Emigration Index on Ancestry says that the 1873 application of Christoph Heinrich Schoch (born Ziegelbronn, 5 Oct 1856) was to emigrate with the intended destination of North America.

Adrian

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Completed
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 September 12 20:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you Apwright,

That sorts him out for me.  Not my relative (at least not in the branch I am tracing at this time).   Maybe later I will look into him with more depth as he might be part of the Schoch's from that general area.

Thanks again

Richard

Stay in the  Moment