Author Topic: William Heath Brunswick St., Fenton.  (Read 1375 times)

Offline Daisydot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Heath Brunswick St., Fenton.
« on: Friday 07 September 12 08:46 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find the Death Certificate, or burial details for my Great Grandfather William Heath of 41 Brunswick St Fenton. He was the son of Charles and Harriet Heath who lived next door at 39 Brunswick St. He was born in 1846/7/8 and died around 1899/1900.
He was married to Sarah Ann nee Woolley and they had 6 children Charles 1884, Harriet 1889 ( my Grandmother) Daniel 1891, George 1893, Eliza 1896 and Mary Ann in 1900.
He is on the 1891 Census aged 45 as a miner, but on the 1901 Census Sarah is a widow and her youngest child Mary Ann is one year old, so he must have died in 1899 or 1900. I have found and obtained the Death Certificate for Sarah Ann, she died in 1925 and we have since found her grave at Fenton Cemetery. According to the records her son Daniel age 49 is in the same plot, but there is no mention of William.
I thought I had found his records but when the Death Certificate arrived it was the wrong William Heath. The certificate that I received was for 1901 age 54, Volume 6B Page 69. There is another possibility Volume 6B page 104 but the age is 49 and that might be too young. I thought he would have been around 54 when he died.
The family lived at 41 Brunswick St from around 1881 it then changed to Beville St. My Grandmother Harriett was born in this house in 1889, my Mother Ethel was born in this house in 1923, my Great Grandmother Sarah died in the house in 1925 and both my Grandparents Harriet and William Clews died here in the mid 60's.
I spent many happy holidays there in the 60's. They didn't ever have electric put in, so there were just the gas lamps downstairs and we used a bicycle lamp to go up to bed. As children we didn't realise the history that went with this little terraced house. It's since been demolished and there are new houses on the site...such a shame!

Any help in finding the last resting place of my Great Grandfather would be very much appreciated.

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ironbridge from the bridge
    • View Profile
Re: William Heath Brunswick St., Fenton.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 October 12 06:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have I got the correct census for 1891, RG12/2178/156/16 ? It does say 39 Brunswick St., but you say little terraced house, I can see the family and at least 2 boarders. I appreciate space went a long way in those days, but... However, the original is difficult to read.

It also states William was b. in Warwickshire, as does the lady of the house in no. 39, also difficult to read.

The point I am making, perhaps not too well, is, that there are some anomalies, i.e. the death cert., you received was for Woolstanton, when in 1891 & 1901 they were in Fenton (Stoke reg dist). The 1901 census was carried out 31 March, so if he died it would have to be before then! Did the name of Brunswick St. change or did their address change to Beville St.? There doesn't appear to be a plausible solution to William's death year - Unless William was omitted from the BMD in error, died in the early 1890's and Sarah remarried and/or had Mary Ann subsequently, I can't see another marriage for her and the 1901 census would agree, being a widow. There are however, 2 Mary Ann Heath's born in 1899 Stoke T, V 6b, P 256 and 1900 Stoke T, V 6b, P 286.

Hope there are some pointers here. See also my PM to you.

Geoff
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daisydot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 October 12 08:32 BST (UK) »
I have sent a personal reply, but will post on here as well so that anyone else who has searched can see the outcome.
I spoke to a long lost cousin and she told me that it was always rumoured that Mary Ann the last child born in 1899 was illegitimate and her father was an Irish man. So I then searched the years before 1899 and found William died in 1896 of a sudden thoracic aneurysm aged 47.
On the 1901 Census there is an Irish lodger so we think he might have been Mary Ann's father. I do remember my mother always telling me that Mary Ann was a catholic and she didn't know why, as the rest of the family were C of E. So again the Irish connection fits.
William moved from Warwickshire. His parents Charles and Harriet lived next door at 39. And his sister Eliza who was married to Daniel Williams lived at  37. William called his first 2 children Charles and Harriet ( my Grandmother)
Brunswick St was renamed Beville St.

Thanks to anyone who had a look around for me!

Offline maureen32240

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 February 19 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am a descendant of Daniel Heath born 1891, died 1940, also his father who was William Heath born 1847 died 1886.
I am not sure where you have got your information from as you do not mention all of William's Children.
I have a tree with all of the ancestors in on Genes Reunited I can also give you dates to help with your ancestors if you need them.
Maureen32240