Author Topic: puzzled  (Read 1599 times)

Offline sue76

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
puzzled
« on: Friday 07 September 12 17:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I hope someone can help, because I'm confused,
I got my Grt Grandmothers b/c today, her name was Catherine/Kate Sheil, from Ballyhogue,
I had her brothers b/c, and I had looked at it for ages, before I realised they had written it down as Sheal, ok one confusion over, hers said mother, Mary Murphy, while his said Mary Brien.
So I went looking for the parents marriage, and I have found Miles And Mary Murphy, Enniscorthy,1875, and then I went looking for Miles and Mary Brien, and they are for the  same pages and dates as Mary Murphy,
So any ideas why she would keep switching from one name to the other, I thought he had married twice,

Thanks in advance

Susan

Offline culbaire

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: puzzled
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 September 12 00:10 BST (UK) »
THis looks like family in 1901 census. http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Wexford/Ballyhoge/Ballyhoge/1785854/
Kate with her parents Miles and Mary.  There are two step children of Miles which predate the 1875 marriage. Typed version shows John Sheil (aged 32) and Mary Brien (aged 30).  But original page shows them as being John Brien and Mary Brien. (So transcript error). May be that Mary was Mary Murphy married to Brien then married to Sheil. Think I remember reading somewhere that marriage of widows were often registered under both maiden name and married name.

Offline sue76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 September 12 02:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Culbaire,

I'd completely forgotten about them,

In the 1911, there is a Grandson by the name of Moore, and he doesn't seem to belong to any one in

particular.

You've solved my problem.

Thanks for answering, I appreciate it.

Susan

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 September 12 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan,

Humphrey Moore is also on the 1901 census with his grandparents.

It's possible that one of Mary's daughter's from her first marriage married a Mr Moore and this child is a result of that marriage

The name Humphrey is an unusual one and I've noticed that there is an older Humphrey Moore living in the same area

humphrey moore

maybe there is some connection ???

Tara

Offline sue76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: puzzled COMPLETED
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 September 12 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara,

Thanks for taking the time to look something for me and then to answer, I will once again say, that yourself and everyone on this site, are really great for helping people out. I am doing my tree, since my Mum died 3 yrs ago and I'm still learning,
I never even thought to check for a Moore in the village. Well there would be no denying him would there?, what are the odds it wouldn't be him? slim I'd say.
Thanks again.

Susan