Author Topic: Death in Mildura VIC 1899- Edward Mostyn THELWELL  (Read 6748 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death in Mildura VIC 1899- Edward Mostyn THELWELL
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 01 December 12 02:08 GMT (UK) »
Are you missing an Ann/e THELWELL at all?

There is a marriage & death in Victoria:

Marriage:

THELWELL Ann (born Rainhill, Lancashire) m. LAUCHLAN Mat Highet (born Ayr) 1894 #6446

Death:

LAUCHLAN Anne age 40yrs d. 1897 Malvern #9511
Father: William THELWELL
Mother: Theresa WATKINS

It appears she also had a brother named James.

Matthew Highet LAUCHLAN's first marriage in 1867
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0seu/

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0set/
The Argus 19 Jul 1897
Deaths
LAUCHLAN On the 17th July, at her late residence ?Monomeeth, Waverley Road, East Malvern after a painful illness, my beloved wife Anne.  M H Lauchlan

Burial at St Kilda Cemetery
LAUCHLAN  Anne 40 years   
Religion None  Interred 18 Jul 1897         
Location - Independent, Monumental, Comp B, Grave 94

MI
Ann THELWELL
died 17 Jul 1897
of Waverley Rd, East Malvern
Died 17 July 1897
Wife of Matthew Highet LAUCHLAN.

3rd marriage for Matthew in 1899
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0sev/
LAUCHLAN—HEATHERSHAW On the 11th February, at Hobart, Tasmania, by the Rev. C. H. Talbot, Matthew Highet Lauchlan, of Sydney,to Janet Lapsley, of Melbourne, daughter of the late Captain William Hamlet Williamson, of Port Glasgow, Scotland. 

Sydney Morning Herald 12 Dec 1917
LAUCHLAN Dec 11, 1917 at the residence of his daughter Mrs W Lawrence Langton, Frazer-road, Lewisham, Matthew Highet LAUCHLAN, native of Ayre, Scotland, aged 84 years

An obituary SMY 16 Dec 1897
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0sex/

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/Index/IndexingOrder.cgi/search?event=births
15389/1917    
LAUCHLAN    Matthew H  84 years  Petersham
Distric Petersham

Interred at Rookwood Cemetery - Independent Old Ground and Old Ground Extension
Section OG  Row 5  Grave#2213

MI

Matthew Highet LAUCHLAN
Died 11 Jul 1917
Born Ayr, Scotland 5 Jan 1834.
Died Sydney

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 01 December 12 02:27 GMT (UK) »
Ignore last post.  I see that Edward's parents are  Bevis Heywood THELWELL and Sophia Rebecca OWEN.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,547141.0.html

Hopefully someone researching other THELWELL's in Aus may find it useful ::).

Cando

Offline swampguts

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 02 December 12 02:02 GMT (UK) »
thanks all this bloke comes from the mostyn owen family they are the spares not heirs to the throne, this mans mothers sister tryphena mostyn owen (our branch did drop the mostyn) come to Australia with husband John Tanner surgeon whom turned to farming had no idea there were others out here as we have ahd pronblems tracking them til now. I have lived in Mildura all my life so a shock to know we had family that bet us here

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 02 December 12 03:37 GMT (UK) »
Kim,
If I am understanding your post correctly, you believe the mother of EDWARD MOSTYN TRELWELL was sister to TRYPHENA MOSTYN OWEN.
EDWARD's parents were not known by the informant on the registration of his death in 1899.

You believe her to be ?? OWEN

Can you perhaps help GEN any further with parents' names?

This seems to be the death of TRYPHENA TANNER (nee OWEN)

TANNER Tryphenia
Father Owen
Mother Unknown MOYSTON
Age 78
Death Place Mvern
Year 1903
Reg.  6393

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 02 December 12 05:59 GMT (UK) »
Just come back to review the thread and see that the parents of EDWARD are, after all, known per the link provided by CANDO.

No need then KIM for further clarification of the apparent relationship between the OWEN women.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline swampguts

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 03 December 12 00:42 GMT (UK) »
that is correct Edwards mother ( i think Rebecca ) was sister to Tryphena. Tryphena daughter of the rector of cound whom died at an early age as did his wife married John Tanner Surgeon but farmer in Oz later a chemist . At the moment with Edward Mostyn TAhelwell we have no record in our cemetry which could mean no head stone will go up in a minute and see the local geneological group for more info
Cheers Kim

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 03 December 12 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Swampguts - was very interested to see you are from this family and some of them went out later to Mildura where Edward Mostyn had died. I wonder why your branch went to the exact place he had been?

There is no headstone, he had a paupers burial but he is the only one buried in that plot, not a communal grave. This was the information I had from the lady at the Mildura Cemetery Trust. She even sent me a photo of the plot of ground where he was buried.

I have much information about his life in UK, his migration to Australia and his death there. The list of his possessions that were auctioned after his death show a lot about what type of man he was and what he had been doing in Mildura.

If you want to know more just ask either here on the forum or send me a private message via this forum..

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline swampguts

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 03 December 12 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Yes went to local geneology thjis arfternoon to find he was in an unmarked grave need to ask about the house as that may give some clue as to why he came here.  We ended up here as  my mother was a Registered Nurse and Mildura Base Hospital was a prt of her training she met and married my father here in Mildura we were all born here, my mother was born in Donald to John Edward Davidon and Edith Hoare great grand daughter of the tanners on her fathers side. WOuld love to know more and anything on Tryphena as there is some funny stuff htere a s well    Cheers Kim

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 03 December 12 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Gen I am curious ....are you related to Edward Mostyn THELWELL or is your research for one of your clients?  You don't appear to be interested in Edith LAWRENCE and her father with whom Edward appeared to have a business relationship.

Kim if you are interested you may like to download Edward's file from PROV mentioned by Merlin.  Be patient as the website is very slow ::)
http://prov.vic.gov.au/index_search?searchid=54

Cando