Author Topic: patent horse hair glover  (Read 1300 times)

Offline bumblebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
patent horse hair glover
« on: Sunday 09 September 12 11:49 BST (UK) »
I have asked this question before but will have a last try. My Gt Gt grandfather was from a family of weavers, Which is strange that he should take this occupation of "Patent Horse Hair Glover" as shown in the 1851 census. Is there anyone who might know what this is
Lovell, Emerson, Biggs, Collett, Gullifer/Gulefer, Naylor/nayler, Heath, Bentote

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: patent horse hair glover
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 September 12 12:53 BST (UK) »
Wikipedia tells us:

One historic use was for gloves commonly used for fishing in the medieval age leading up to the 17th century in cold climates. Gloves woven from horse hair fibers were a very popular option in cold climates because horsehair is a very good insulator and also has a natural oil and rigid structure that allows them to be woven tightly and remain water proof and warm. The fibers also absorb water much slower than other materials making them more desirable for fishing.

Patent would indicate that some sort of varnishing or additional oiling or waxing was applied.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 September 12 14:01 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 September 12 14:45 BST (UK) »
Patent means: A process, invention, product, or commodity which has been patented, or for which a patent has been taken out. OED
Stan

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 September 12 15:06 BST (UK) »
Patent means: A process, invention, product, or commodity which has been patented, or for which a patent has been taken out. OED
Stan

Stan - when I see it in connection with gloves or shoes I think of the process called patent which is to put a shine on or to waterproof with a shiny material. I do see your point with that extract of an application for a patent on an invention.

Anyway I think we have established an answer to the original question - the gloves were indeed woven by some means. They might even have been felted - a pretty normal way to make a textile from hair.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 September 12 17:47 BST (UK) »
The Derby Mercury, Wednesday, March 16, 1842
"Dinneford's Patent Improved Flesh Gloves and Straps for producing a healthy state of the system, by friction, without the risk of tearing the skin, as all the  ordinary Horse Hair Gloves are liable to do."
The Morning Post Friday, August 17, 1849
"The daily use of Lawrence and Co's Improved Patent Horse-Hair Gloves and Straps, previous to sponging the body with tepid or cold water, is the only effective mode of keeping the skin in a really healthy state..."
Daily News Saturday, December 4, 1852
"Lawrence's Patent Horse Hair Flesh Gloves, for gentlemen (a softer kind for ladies) .......These frictors are constantly recommended by medical men, as conducive to the development of a high state of health."

Stan

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 September 12 18:46 BST (UK) »
I suppose they had to do something since the fashion for horsehair shirts had died out with the dissolution of the monasteries.

However, until today I must admit I had never heard of horsehair gloves.