Author Topic: William Gorst family Liverpool 1851 census and 1841 census if available  (Read 2784 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Can anybody trace the following family for me

William (Richard Bevington) Gorst, born c. 1850, Liverpool, Lancashire
Parents either  William Gorst, unknown age, Farmer, wife Mary
or William (+/-) Richard Bevington Gorst, Coach-builder and Hannah
Siblings of William no 1 would be James Gorst
Siblings of William no 2 would be Elizabeth, John R, Samuel R(ichardson), Thomas R and George
Trying to establish which William is correct, hoping for more clues from this census!
Margaret
 ???
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Gorst family Liverpool 1851 census and 1841 census if available
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 May 05 21:24 BST (UK) »
 I have come to the conclusion that William Gorst no 2 is a non starter, so I am looking for no 1 which is as follows.

William Richard Bevington Gorst jnr, born c 1850, estimate  from 1881 and 1891 censuses.
Parents William Richard Bevington Gorst snr and Mary, years of birth and places of birth unknown.
Living in Liverpool
WRBG senior in 1841 marriage was a drover
And sorry, with so many William Gorst's about, I made an error in my first post
It is WRBG senior's father who was William, a farmer, from his marriage certificate in 1841
Hoping somebody can help, Margaret :)

STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 May 05 23:05 BST (UK) »
HI Margaret

If it be family no 1, who you are after here is Wm Gorst born circa 1847ish Saddle maker apprentice in the 1861 visiting his grandfather William Gorst who is a Cow Keeper born 1791ish born Frodsham cheshire.

which I supose would fit in wth the marriage of Wm Junior father marriage cert from 1841 stating him as a drover (of Cattle), YES?

Also living with their father are

Ann Gorst abt 1822  Frodsham, Cheshire, England Daughter  Liverpool  Lancashire   

Ellen Gorst abt 1831  Frodsham, Cheshire, England Daughter  Liverpool  Lancashire   

Wendy

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 May 05 08:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Wendy, but I don't think that is him, however I'll bear it in mind, as I really don't know much about the family.  Trouble is, until 1861 census came on-line, I was pretty sure that I had traced William in 1871, living with William snr, widower, and siblings Elizabeth, John R and Samuel.  In 1861 there was only one problem, William snr was married to a Hannah, not a Mary as expected from his marriage certificate!  So either the wrong marriage certificate, or the wrong family.  I have come to the conclusion that it was the wrong family, but can find no convincing trace of either William senior or junior in 1861 and 1871.
That's why I was hoping that somebody might be able to find the family in 1851, with William and Mary as parents, and William as son+/- James, or any other siblings
The nearest I have got in 1861 and 1871 is William and James Gorst, living with Step-father Edward Brooks, and his wife Mary, the assumption being, backed up by bmd records of death of a William Gorst in 1855, and marriage of a Mary Gorst to Edward Brooks in 1859, that this could be them.
I have no other evidence to suggest that 'my' William has a brother James
Margaret

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 May 05 19:33 BST (UK) »
HI sugarfizzle

How old is Wm R B Gorst on the marriage cert in 1841?

Wendy
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 May 05 21:17 BST (UK) »
Marriage certificate not very helpful on this occasion, Wendy.
Age of both participants given as 'Full'!
Margaret

Offline sqgorst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 July 05 15:25 BST (UK) »
I have transcribed all of the Gorst BMDs, if you think I can be of assistance, please contact me.

My Gorst line is from London, but I am widening my search to cover the whole of the UK (and beyond).

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 July 05 03:14 BST (UK) »
Sqgorst, Thank you for your kind offer, would be grateful to take you up on it. 

All, I had forgotten this posting.  Have found out more info re WRBGorst jnr from his birth certificate, as follows

21 February 1851, 9, Bennett Street, Islington, Liverpool, Lancaster
William Richard Bebbington Gorst, Boy
Father William Gorst, Drover
Mother Ann Gorst, formerly Rimmer

So his mother was not Mary (Unsworth)as expected from WRBG/Unsworth marriage in 1841, but Ann (Rimmer) !!
No Gorst/ Rimmer marriage found between 1841, 1st marriage to Mary Unsworth and 1851, birth of William.
Unless you know differently, Sqgorst?
2 possibilities for Mary Gorst's death in Sep qtr 1841 in Liverpool
Margaret

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 July 05 03:20 BST (UK) »
Sorry, forgot to conclude

Therefore I am now looking for

1851 census
William (Richard Bevington) and Ann Gorst , living at 9, Bennett Street Liverpool
+ William (Richard Bevington) Gorst, aged 1 month