Author Topic: Sinnott / Stafford Family of County Wexford circa 1850  (Read 7302 times)

Offline SteveSinnott

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sinnott / Stafford Family of County Wexford circa 1850
« on: Wednesday 12 September 12 16:49 BST (UK) »
Any information on my G3 Grandparents & G2 Grandfather will be greatly appreciated  -- Thanks, Steve Sinnott.

JOHN SINNOTT married ELLEN STAFFORD presumably in County Wexford Ireland, circa 1830.
JOHN SINNOTT born circa 1806-1807 in Ireland, died 12-May- 1880 in Westminster, Maryland, USA
ELLEN STAFFORD SINNOTT born circa 1812-1813 in Ireland, died 27-Feb-1883 in Westminster, Maryland, USA.  They had two known children:
1. THOMAS SINNOTT, born 18-Apr-1837 in Ireland, died 12-Apr-1917 in Westminster, Maryland, USA
2. ALICE M. SINNOTT, born 28-Feb-1853 in Ireland, died 12-Jan-1908 in Westminster, Maryland, USA

ELLEN with children THOMAS & ALICE arrived 12 July 1852; Port of Departure: Liverpool; Ship: Sewall;  Port Of Arrival: Baltimore; Place of Origin: Ireland.  Passenger Log contains: ELLEN SINNOTT, 40, female; THOMAS SINNOTT, 15, male and ALICE SINNOTT, 18, female.  Family legend states that John came ahead of the family to establish his residence.  Meanwhile his son Thomas was supposedly in Ireland contemplating becoming a Priest.  We do not know if anything every transpired with this in Ireland, but we do know he came to America and was successful buying small plots of land, owning a brickyard for a short period, then becoming a track supervisor for the Western Maryland Railroad that had just arrived through Westminster Maryland in 1860.

Daughter ALICE married an Irishman from County Monaghan, PATRICK McKEEVER at the St. John Roman Catholic Church, Westminster Maryland 02-March-1862.  Her obituary stated “born in PARISH OF DUNCORMICK, COUNTY OF WEXFORD, IRELAND”.  All other information discovered about the family only stated “County Wexford, Ireland”.

There was another SINNOTT family in the area at the time who was cousins, but I have not established the direct connection.  Both families appear in the St. John Roman Catholic Church records as sponsors of each other’s Baptisms.  This was the THOMAS and MARY ELLEN (nee: FURLONG) SINNOTT, married prior to coming to America.  They had three known children and the Maryland census stated they were born in Ireland:
1. THOMAS FURLONG SINNOTT, born circa 1828, died in Maryland 13-Sept-1897
2. MARGARET SINNOTT, birth & death date unknown.
3. ANASTASIA SINNOTT, birth & death date unknown.

In both families, the following names have repeated many times: JOHN, THOMAS, WILLIAM, ANASTASIA, MARGARET and ALICE.  While performing my research, SINNOTT, STAFFORD and FURLONG appear to be very popular names within the County Wexford area.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sinnott / Stafford Family of County Wexford circa 1850
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hi there Steve and welcome to rootschat !

First thing is that you have been super lucky with the Duncormick reference !

At a quick glance there are 13 people left with this surname in Duncormick on the 1901 Census and most interesting is a young Anastatia, which means the name stayed on in the family !

sinnott duncormick 1901 irish census

As I find more I shall post it !

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 17:24 BST (UK) »
Gosh how beautiful is this pub  ;D

sinnott's pub of duncormick

The article says that the pub is open 216 years !!!!!

Have you tried getting in touch with them - might be a good starting point !

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 17:27 BST (UK) »
Griffiths Valuation has Sinnott's, Stafford's and Furlong's all in Duncormick !

griffiths valuation duncormick

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 17:34 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I can Thomas Sinnott's baptism on the 20th April 1837 on the attached sheet

sinnott's baptisms

Tara

Offline SteveSinnott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 17:45 BST (UK) »
Tara,

Thanks for the info.  I posted a message on the "Sinnott Pub" website several months ago and never got a reply.  I believe the owners name is John Sinnott like my G3 Gfather but I am sure that is a very common name as well.  Seems like "John" never has a middle name either.

Thanks, Steve

Offline Pembrokestown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 January 13 18:07 GMT (UK) »
There are many Sinnotts/Synnotts in Duncormick, Co. Wexford.

I have Sinnotts (Synnotts) from Duncormick, also.  My Thomas Sinnott (born circa  1790) and his wife, Betty, had children that I can find so far --Thomas (born 1811) Elizabeth (born 1810) Anastasia (born 1817)  Thomas (born 1811) owned the other Sinnott's pub in Duncormick.  His children Mary, Mat, and Johnny inherited the pub and all died, unmarried around 1920.  Thomas (born 1811), his sister Anastasia, and his wife Bridget Ennis are all buried in the Duncomick cemetery.

If Thomas (born 1790) also had a son, John, it would be traditional for John to name his son after his father, Thomas.  The Rathangan church records are easily available on line but have a gap between 1805 and 1813.  As far as anyone knows the pages of the record book are contiguous between 1805 and 1813 so no one can figure out why no births or marriages were recorded for those years.

Currently, John Sinnott is still running the other pub in Duncormick which you wrote about.  John or "Sammy," as everyone calls him, knows all kinds of local information but he doesn't do  much on the computer.  His grandfather is also John Sinnott (born 1808); but John stayed in Ireland since the current John's father, James, was born in 1876 in Duncormick.

Sammy and I have talked about the Sinnotts but we don't know a connection, if any of the two Sinnott families who owned pubs in the same small village.

Teresa

Offline lewes3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 June 13 02:30 BST (UK) »
Steve , Teresa and Tara,

Not even sure how I got to this page but here goes. I, too, have relatives in Duncormick who are Sinnotts. My great grandmother was Anastasia Sinnott who, according to US census records and her death certificate was born about 1810-1811. She married Patrick Molloy at Rathangan parish January 18, 1836. They had many children most of whom came to the U.S. and settled in Baltimore, Maryland. The baptismal website that Tara refers to shows some of the baptisms; John who is listed as Molay, Laurence and Mary. Laurence was my great grandfather. Furlongs were sponsors for Laurence at baptism ! Laurence  lives with a Mark Sinnott in Baltimore either in the 1860 or 1870 census. Mark is buried with a Margaret Sinnott in New Cathedral in Baltimore city. In one of my searches I saw a Molloy-Stafford burial notice in the not too distant past for Wexford. I have met John Sinnott of Sinnotts pub ( a rather quaint place) and he knew of no Sinnotts who went to America, so I struck out with him. We ran out of time to contact other Sinnotts when we were there but found a very small cemetery with Molloy graves and a local couple said there were still quite a few Sinnotts in the area. This was near Cleariestown, not far from Rathangan. Your discussions seem awfully coincidental especially with the names and that your Sinnotts, Steve, came to Baltimore  from Duncormick. Have you checked immigration/naturalization records ? I need to do that. Any more info would be helpful.

Barbara

Offline Pembrokestown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 June 13 08:41 BST (UK) »
I don't know where Bridgit Ennis was from but I found the record in the Rathangan parish register so I assume she was married in her home parish of Rathangan not Cleriestown.