Author Topic: wilson in overton, flint  (Read 7142 times)

Offline dmart8826

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: wilson in overton, flint
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 April 16 02:42 BST (UK) »
I am curious if anyone has been able to confirm if William Wilson is in fact the sun of Richard Parry Price?

Offline DEW1942

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 April 16 11:40 BST (UK) »
Not an easy thing to confirm, as Richard Parry Price would not have wanted to publicise the liaison!

However I have traced oral tradition handed down, all slightly different but independent, from four of William Wilson's children
1. from Margaret Wilson's (b.1812) descendants, that Ann Wilson was housekeeper and mistress of Richard Parry Price
2. from George Wilson's (b. 1815) descendants; a descendant by marriage of his daughter Phillis sent a document typed by her father-in-law which says "the  family attended the funeral of Squire Price and at that time were told that he was their grandfather" [George Wilson is my ancestor but I am descended from one of his sons, not from Phillis] - but the dates don't fit this claim as Richard Parry Price died in 1782 when William was only a year old, let alone grandchildren not then born!
3. from Richard Wilson's (b.1817) descendants; a document on familysearch.org which is a transcription of an account of Richard's son David with his grandmother Catherine (William Wilson's wife), and says that Ann Wilson was set up in a villa at Lightwood Green (part of Overton) where William Wilson's children were born (and Lightwood Green is where the local brickpits are; William Wilson became a master(?) bricklayer)
4. from Robert Wilson (b.1819) more directly; his burial record from Cassia cemetery, Idaho, gives his father's name as William Price Wilson

Richard Parry Price married Anne Puleston in 1764; William was born in 1781 when she was still alive (in fact she outlived Richard) and the Puleston family have rejected with disdain any suggestion that Richard had a mistress. But it is curious that Richard Parry Price and Anne Puleston produced a child within a year of marriage but none thereafter. Were marital relations all they should be? despite a touching memorial to Richard erected by Anne  in St Mary's, Birkenhead.

And finally, analysis of the document from familysearch.org (above)suggests that the Ann Wilson who was the mistress may not have been, as some internet trees have it, the daughter of William Wilson but instead the daughter of his cousin Charles. This William and Charles were both butchers in Overton, so probably in partnership; the birth of daughters called Ann, one in 1741 (to Charles) and one in 1743 (to William) is recorded in the parish registers; but one of them died in 1768, and the registers don't say which!

I reckon that the balance of probability is that William Wilson was Richard Parry Price's son, but it is still probability! Are you also a descendant of William Wilson, and if so on what branch? Let me know if you need any of this as documentation.

David Wilson

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 22 April 16 08:36 BST (UK) »
Hi David,as you will see from my earlier reply to the thread,I have descendants in my Tree of Charles Wilson(1811) in my Tree.Charles was to marry my relative Sarah Griffiths at Erbistock in 1833.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dmart8826

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 April 16 16:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for sharing David!

William and Catherine's son Robert is my 4th great-grandfather.  From there I am a descendant of Robert's son Robert Caleb Wilson b. 1849.

I have only been doing research for about a month or so in my free time so any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Derek

Offline switcha

• RootsChat Extra
  • GedMatch - A200830, A387775, A663159.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 July 23 11:11 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if the Puleston in this thread listed links back to the Puleston line at Erbistock?
I assume they do in some way.

Regards Darryl Price
Price, Bennett, Curtain, Connors, Dwyer, Ryan
Grenfell, Butchers, Craig, Govan
GedMatch  - A200830, A387775, A663159.