Author Topic: Elkesley and the A1 thundering through  (Read 9882 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Elkesley and the A1 thundering through
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 00:08 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Kate,
I imagined that I'd had all the info. I was going to get from you by now, and rather prematurely signed off this thread; just by chance, thankfully, this evening I've come across your exciting extra e-mail about Mary Clark, amongst other people.  That'll teach me!
Well done with this, and indeed the Clark side of my family now goes back a long way in Nottinghamshire...
Very best wishes,
Keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 11 August 06 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, Everyone,
Well over a year since the last posting appeared on this thread, but last week I finally managed to get to Elkesley.  No FELL/FELLS that I could discover in the graveyard, but some remarkable inscriptions which I think I will start another thread with in The Common Room.
Amazingly, there were 7 farms in this tiny place and not much else - must refer again to previous Census entries for my direct ancestor William FELL, farm bailiff, to see whether any of the names of these I noted down tally or not.
The pub called The Robin Hood is flourishing, glad to say, with excellent food, and yes, it is difficult to get in and out of the village from the A1, especially if there has been an accident and the traffic is backing up for miles!
keith

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 12 August 06 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to North Notts.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 12 August 06 14:58 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Jane,
After a few days chasing up my wire-drawing and needle-producing ancestors in Hathersage, Derbyshire, it made a contrast to drop in on where another branch of my family lived as ag. labourers in Nottinghamshire at the same time.
The farms in Elkesley were Manor Farm, Meadow Farm, Yew Tree Farm, Townrows Farm, Church View Farm, Church Farm and Brough Farm as of Thursday this week.
Must now see whether I can connect William FELL to any of these...
Very best wishes,
keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Everyone,
I just love it when a thread suddenly bursts back into life after a long dormancy - in this case nearly two years...!
Just to say that I've been PM-ed by a Rootschatter telling me that a branch of his family used to run/own one of the farms I listed above on my scrap of paper on my walk down the main street of Eltisley in August 2006, namely Townrows.
I'll have to have another closer look at the 1851 Census now that I've got easier access to it on Ancestry, and see whether there are more precise clues as to which farm he might have been bailiff at.
If it happens to be Townrows, I might be finding out a little bit more than I ever imagined getting to know about ...
keith

Offline mannym

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 18 August 08 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hi All. This is a bit after the event, but I thought I should point out that care should be taken when searching Morrison in the North Notts area.I know from personal experience that the surnames Morrison/Maryson/Marrison are used interchangably in the parish registers of this area.Many of my Marrison ancestors, including my g.g.g.father are shown as Morrison. Despite this area being the heartland of the Marrison line. So, it just might be that Sarah Morrison is, in fact, Sarah Marrison. As far as can be found, the two surnames Morrison and Marrison are of different origin
Marrison is more common than Morrison in the North Notts area.
Good luck!
Fred

Offline sgrollitt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 08 March 13 09:30 GMT (UK) »
The link earlier in this thread doesn't work for me.

I would love to look in the Elkesley parish registers - I know my direct Rollitt ancestors lived there from at least the 1740s until about 1840. Before that I think they lived in Caunton and possibly Edwinstow before that.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 08 March 13 10:12 GMT (UK) »
There are 2 Rollitt male Marriages at Elkesley, St Giles
22-11-1762 William Rollitt and Mary Wood
19-9-1771 William Rollitt and Elizabeth Shaw.
3 female marriages
8-12-1812 Thomas Watts and Mary Rollitt
7-5-1839 Joseph George Goacher and Sarah Rollitt
26-6-1845 John Moore and Frances ROLLETT

5 Burials same church.
26-6-1824 Christiana Rollitt age 21
5-12-1826 Jane Rollitt age 15
17-10-1832 Mary ROLLETT age 34
17-1-1842 Benjamin ROLLETT age 75
12-1-1860 Mary ROLLETT age 89
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline copperbeech5

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 08 March 13 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I don't know if it is of any use but by searching for Elkesley, this book comes up....

The Village of Elkesley: A Comprehensive History (Nottinghamshire Heritage Series) [Paperback] by Alan Hirst.

Best wishes,
Copperbeech5
Hutchinson - Nottingham.
Rowland - Nottingham.
Parkin - Co Durham/Nottingham.
Gardiner/Gardner/Gardener - Co Durham.
Drake - Derbyshire/Lincolnshire/Sussex/London?
Leighton - Derbyshire.