Author Topic: Create shortcut  (Read 2976 times)

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Create shortcut
« Reply #18 on: Friday 14 September 12 10:16 BST (UK) »
The easiest way to bookmark a page in Fire fox is

Go to the page you are interested in
Press Ctrl and D this brings up the dialog box where you can name the Bookmark and even decide where you wish to save the Bookmark to

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 14 September 12 10:31 BST (UK) »
Falkryn,
               I tried that and that is a good way too, I think.       ...See the page that comes up, which is marked PAGE BOOKMARKED, the top right hand side of that box points to the yellow star, so the yellow star is seemingly always involved in creating the shortcut.

Pels,
              I DON'T KNOW anything!     I don't know what I am doing ... I am just feeling my way.       But this stuff about dragging Favicons across the page ... is that right?      Or is the yellow star right?       I must say I think doing it with the help of the yellow Star, or Falkryn's way, (which might be even better) looks far easier to me.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 14 September 12 11:11 BST (UK) »
    Lot of confusion in my mind about the FAVICON on Firefox.       I googled it and it is supposed to be a small red house - is that right?      Well, when you google: "Show me the Favicon on Firefox.    What does it look like?",  you get folk saying that Firefox have stopped using it.       But it still showed what it looked like.

I don't have this small red house at all.         I have seen what it looks like but I don't have it.

It isn't a red house on my screen. It is a grey circle between the black, back arrow and www. rootschat.com (or other web address)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 14 September 12 11:32 BST (UK) »
doddsie4

Below is what the top of your page (as you look at this topic) should look like.  From this you can see the round grey circle next to where it starts www.rootschat.com/forum/ etc. etc. and at the top right hand corner a minus sign, a square box and a red cross.

Is this what the top of your screen looks like?

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 14 September 12 11:34 BST (UK) »
Sorry it's not very clear, but I reduced the size to fit on here.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 14 September 12 11:42 BST (UK) »
crisane and lizzie,
                               Yes, that is exactly what I have.      I tried the google because I was uncertain whether you all had the same set-up as myself.
But I had a surprise when I saw that folk were saying that FIREFOX was changing their Favicon, and I saw the small red house Favicon they were talking about.         As long as the grey thing is the up-to-date one that is fine.

It's just that all this about dragging the Favicon across the page
seems a bit out.        Using the yellow star etc seems better.       I am just trying to get a true picture.      Not trying to be awkward.      Hope I don't come across like that.

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 14 September 12 11:59 BST (UK) »

Using the yellow star etc seems better.       I am just trying to get a true picture.      Not trying to be awkward.      Hope I don't come across like that.

I'll still stick to my way of dropping the bookmark column down to save a page, but that's only because it's familiar. If I was only just getting used to it - the yellow star seems to be the easiest option.

You are coming across as being refreshingly honest and certainly not awkward. It's interesting how we all use a different way to achieve the same aim !  :) :)

Pels.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Midase

• RootsChat User
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 14 September 12 12:13 BST (UK) »
All this about Favicons is probably a good way but not all sites use them. The simplest way to add a bookmark is just right mouse click on the web page and select Bookmark This Page.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 14 September 12 12:17 BST (UK) »
    Would anyone care to say how many shortcuts they have on their Bookmark?         I may like to put as many as 20 to 30 shortcuts to Bookmark but I have no idea if this would overload the page, or if there is a limit to how many you can put onto Bookmark.