Author Topic: Create shortcut  (Read 2969 times)

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Create shortcut
« Reply #27 on: Friday 14 September 12 12:36 BST (UK) »

I've literally got hundreds and all in some kind of order.

By right clicking with your mouse on the drop down box it gives you the choice to open a new folder. You can then create different folders to keep all your bookmarks separate.

Drag your bookmark into the new folder by placing your cursor onto the link, left click with your mouse while keeping your finger pressed down until you've dragged it where you want it to go.

Hope that makes sense ?

Pels.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 14 September 12 12:40 BST (UK) »
Like Pels I have loads, well 50 at least.
I have set mine out as columns, 1) general 2) family history3)personal sites
No problems as I see it with your 20-30, just think before hand what/where you want things.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 14 September 12 12:46 BST (UK) »
 I am just trying to get a true picture.      Not trying to be awkward.      Hope I don't come across like that.

There really is no "right" way or "wrong" way to work with a program like Firefox it is really down to experimentation to find a way which suits you best.

Firefox keyboard shortcuts can be seen here http://www.mouserunner.com/FF_Shortcuts1Printable.html

ctrl Shift and B brings up the Bookmarks organiser or you can use the mouse - again whatever suits you.

As to number of bookmarks 20 - 30 is a doddle

Offline Midase

• RootsChat User
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 14 September 12 13:04 BST (UK) »
Apart from the ones I have in my Speed Dial I too have a long list uncounted.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 14 September 12 13:28 BST (UK) »
I've got loads of Bookmarks, which are all sorted into groups, but for the sites I use the most I much prefer Desktop shortcuts, it is much quicker just to click on the shortcut than search through all the bookmarks.

Each to their own I suppose.

Lizzie

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 14 September 12 14:32 BST (UK) »
pels,
         I have decided to make the shortcuts your way - by going to Bookmark at the top of the page, as you do.       There are a few little things I am unsure about when using the Star method, and I am getting on fine doing it your way anyway, which I now think is probably best.

Lizzie,
            I agree with you.        But in the last hour I have rid my desktop of about three quarters of the icons that were cluttering it up, leaving only those I prefer to be seen.        I have the majority on Bookmark now, have been testing Bookmark to see if everything works properly, and to my delight I am reaching the shortcut pages very easily.     

A big clear-out on my Desktop has just been carried out.     ...It all looks a lot tidier and more manageable now.         Thanks everyone!!!!

Offline Midase

• RootsChat User
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 14 September 12 19:04 BST (UK) »
And your boot time is marginally shorter. Nice to hear that all is going well.  :)

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 14 September 12 19:08 BST (UK) »
pels,
         I have decided to make the shortcuts your way - by going to Bookmark at the top of the page, as you do.       There are a few little things I am unsure about when using the Star method, and I am getting on fine doing it your way anyway, which I now think is probably best.

Lizzie,
            I agree with you.        But in the last hour I have rid my desktop of about three quarters of the icons that were cluttering it up, leaving only those I prefer to be seen.        I have the majority on Bookmark now, have been testing Bookmark to see if everything works properly, and to my delight I am reaching the shortcut pages very easily.     

A big clear-out on my Desktop has just been carried out.     ...It all looks a lot tidier and more manageable now.         Thanks everyone!!!!

An advantage to using the Bookmark method is that if you choose to change your browser again you should be able to import them into the "other" browser and save yourself a lot of work and anguish.

PS once you have set up your bookmarks it would be a good idea to save a backup copy (Ctrl Shift B and then Import/Backup)